PDA

View Full Version : WWE two big announcements

Shawn Mega
06-22-2004, 02:08 PM
TOUGH ENOUGH COMING TO SMACKDOWN, WWE PRESIDENT TO BE NAMED IN NOVEMBER, AND MORE WWE NEWS AND NOTES
by Buck Woodward @ 12:06:00 PM on 6/22/2004

WWE held their fourth quarter earnings conference call today, with Linda McMahon answering questions from investors following a review of the financial figures, which you can read here. Here are some wrestling related notes from the call:

- A question was raised about having more "mixed brand" PPV events to make up for the low buyrates. The answer was a very strong, no, they are not considering mixing more PPV events. They are sticking to four mixed shows (Summerslam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania). Linda said they are still "testing" their new PPV philosophy by adding two new PPV events (July and October), and those will be separate Raw and Smackdown events.

- They essentially avoided a question that the loss of talent has hurt the PPV buyrate for the May Smackdown PPV, Judgment Day. It was commented that it being a Smackdown event this year as opposed to a Raw event was a reason for it not doing as well compared to last year. By the same token, Vengeance next month will be a Raw event this year, it was a Smackdown show last year.

- The Raw contract with Spike TV expires in September 2005, and McMahon said there is "clear interest" by both sides in continuing the relationship. They admitted that ratings have dropped, but they are still in the weekly basic cable top ten, and often in the top three.

- They put over the Diva Search as being similar to "American Idol" or "America's Top Model" and have high hopes for it to boost the ratings of Raw. The Diva Search will have it's own special on July 15th on Spike TV as well.

- To go alongside the real Presidential Election, WWE will have an election in November on both Raw and Smackdown to name a storyline "WWE President" to oversee both brands.

- There are plans to add "Tough Enough segments" to Smackdown later this year, which will be used to develop new stars.

- There will be episodes of Raw and Smackdown done in the United Kingdom in October.

- WWE will be working with different "major studios" for their WWE Films projects. They have an action film and a horror film in the works.

Tough Enough is coming back.It will be a Smackdown exclusive.Finally,Smackdown gets something. This will be better than that Raw Diva Search.

WWE will name a new president.The president will have more power than the GM's.I'm thinking of Shane McMAHON.

They know Smackdown loss of talent has hurt them but they still won't do anything about it.I guess they are riding this thing out.

James Steele
06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Well....

As long as the "President" does it like Gorilla Monsoon *RIP* did. Only showed up when needed and made an impact when he did show up.

I'm JamesSteele And I Approve Of This Message.
Have A Nice Day.

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 02:21 PM
The PResident will basically run the shows constantly.

You know how it works these days.

James Steele
06-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Damn it.....

then whats the point for the GM's?

eeeeerrrrrrr.....

Please excuse me while i go to my psychiatrist.

Have A Nice Day.

Corkscrewed
06-22-2004, 02:26 PM
How is this big?

James Steele
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
i have no idea.

Me telling you i am going to bathroom > these announcements

Have A Nice Day.

Loose Cannon
06-22-2004, 02:34 PM
How is this big?

because he found it on a site where the headline was probably "Major News"

Corkscrewed
06-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Breaking News!

News not Actually Major Just Because Title Proclaims It So!
Content Actually Determines Value

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Breaking News!

You're kidding!

Corkscrewed
06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
No! (amazing, ain't it?)

loopydate
06-22-2004, 03:25 PM
This means something...

This is important.

Rob
06-22-2004, 03:43 PM
About time we got some Raw and Smackdown tapings. I knew this 2 weeks ago though but still :D I hear they are doing double shots in Manchester incase anyone is interested.

The Mackem
06-22-2004, 03:48 PM
How's that going to work with time differences between the UK and US?

Rob
06-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Taping the shows. Doesn't make a difference for Smackdown anyway.

James Steele
06-22-2004, 03:51 PM
an·nounce·ment (uh-nounsmnt) n.

a. The act of making known publicly.
b. Something announced.
c. A broadcast message, especially a program note or commercial.
An engraved or printed formal statement or notice, as of a wedding or a relocation.

big (big) adj.

Of considerable size, number, quantity, magnitude, or extent; large. See Synonyms at large.

Under this ruberic, this is only an announcement. The as-mentioned "announcement" does not have consiberable magnitude to be a "big announcemnt". Therefore, shut the hell up and post something we give a fuck about.

To Loopydate:

im·por·tant (m-pôrtnt) adj.

a. Strongly affecting the course of events or the nature of things; significant: an important message that must get through; close friends who are important to me.
b. Having or suggesting a consciousness of high position or authority; authoritative: recited the decree with an important air.

But.... since i'm not a dumbass, Here is today's "JamesSteele Word Of The Day"!!!

sar·casm (särkzm) n.

a. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
b. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

Have A Nice Day.

p.s.: Click Here For Yesterday's Word Of The Day (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fuck)

06-22-2004, 03:54 PM
About bloody time they did some shows (that matter) over here. If tickets go on sale a while from now when I've got some money, I might be tempted...

Rob
06-22-2004, 03:56 PM
They'll be on sale within the next month.

06-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Oh... maybe if I win the £1000 prize on ITV Euro 2004 tonight...

My Final Heaven
06-22-2004, 04:42 PM
This means something...

This is important.

That's either from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or UHF (It was said in both movies). OR, I'm reading too damn much into this :p

loopydate
06-22-2004, 05:23 PM
That's either from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or UHF (It was said in both movies). OR, I'm reading too damn much into this :p
Very nice. I meant it sarcastically, so I guess it was closer to UHF. :y:

Fryza
06-22-2004, 05:45 PM
As long as the President doesn't involve Stephanie, Austin, or Bradshaw, I don't care.

James Steele
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Hmmm....

I have a hunch the "President" will be either:

Shane McMahon
Stephanie McMahon :nono:
Chris Nowiniski
Johnny Nitro
Terry Funk
Mick Foley ***Most Likely***

Rob
06-22-2004, 06:00 PM
The President should be someone who very rarely appears on TV and will never have an in ring role.

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 06:13 PM
The President should be someone who very rarely appears on TV and will never have an in ring role.
Hmmm....
Mick Foley ***Most Likely***
You know, it's funny. I was thinking about Foley the other day.

You ever notice how they always give him these perfect roles for some onscreen time, where he should be able to only put in a guest spot now and then, but always seem to blow it?

Foley's had soem pretty damn good Deus Ex Machina roles, where he should have been able to make a couple appearances, disappeared for a while, and made some more spots later on. Instead, he always manages to get in the ring and be retired, lose his job, or he'll get fired.

I'd imagine the same deal will happen if he's the "President." He'll interfere heavily for a few weeks, then lose his job.

This could be a really great way to give someone a few choice appearances once in a while. I doubt they're gonna do it right, either.

Mr. Nerfect
06-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I think the best President would be either Shane mcMahon or Eric Bischoff. I would have a feeling they would appear like any GM would, but it's just like they are GM of both brands. I like this idea heaps.

Boondock Saint
06-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I hope the President is used sparingly. Like when HBK was commish and when he showed up it was a good surprise.

KayfabeMan
06-22-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm not understanding this whole Tough Enough on SD! deal.

Are they going to show 2-3 (or more) minutes a week on SD!
or something with new contestants trying out,or will they be
guys who are already under contracts being used in "Tough-
Enough" style segments??

If it is a new TE,there won't be enough time to see who is go-
od and who isn't and all of that. It sounds strange either way.

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 08:04 PM
We're probably looking at something along the lines of the Diva Search on Raw.

FourFifty
06-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Breaking News!

<font color=cyan>I'm reminded of Faux news... I mean Fox... Wait, no... I was right the first time.

KayfabeMan
06-22-2004, 08:15 PM
We're probably looking at something along the lines of the Diva Search on Raw.

Then that's sure to be exiciting :roll:

Segments like that for a Diva Search is fine, you're only looking at
half naked women (yeah, I know give them more time) - but when
you're trying to have the fans connect with the people on the TV
show, it can't happen from a few moments each week like that. :n:

The Duck
06-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Rob, fill me about the Smackdown/Raw tapings. Where will they be and when will the tickets go on sale (I may be up at Lancaster Uni, so if they're doing a double-shot in Manchester I'm going).

Tell me ALL you know.... please. ;)

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Then that's sure to be exiciting :roll:

Segments like that for a Diva Search is fine, you're only looking at
half naked women (yeah, I know give them more time) - but when
you're trying to have the fans connect with the people on the TV
show, it can't happen from a few moments each week like that. :n:
Yeah, well, I can't see any way they can do "tough enough" segments that won't be done horribly without taking away from Smackdown.

What they need to do is start making the undercard shows into a more devolpmental roster.

Corkscrewed
06-22-2004, 08:56 PM
One other thing... since when does the WWE plan five months ahead (which is essentially what November is) anyway??? And why would they talk about this now?

Oh well, whatever.

Kane Knight
06-22-2004, 09:07 PM
They normally don't even plan five HOURS ahead. :D

The CyNick
06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
The President deal sounds real dumb to me. The last thing the WWE needs is more guys who cant wrestle taking up valuable TV time. We already have GMs who have no power, what do we need Presidents for?

The Tough Enough deal is kinda meh to me. On the one hand its a good way to introduce new guys (they should use people in OVW instead of bums off the street). However, we all know what will happen they get to the big time, "pay you dues kid". And then the guys gets burried, and well thats the end.

TV tapings overseas means business is really in the toilet. But still, its a decent idea. You know all the dates will sell out, and I'm sure the crowds will be red hot, so it'll make for good TV. And hey, maybe you guys will get a title change or something worthwhile happen in your country...maybe.

Sensei Of Mattitude
06-22-2004, 11:53 PM
TV "Tapings" should be fucking happening anymore. Smackdown SHOULD BE LIVE. The element of "what can happen tonight" is not and has never been achieved by taping Smackdown.

But with the tapings happening in Europe is a good thing. Yes, it does mean that the market here is in a crisis of a dryspell but the Europeans and other parts of the world are craving the WWE because they are not exposed to it as much as we are here in America. So more Euro dollars will head the WWE's way.

I like the President idea. It sounds like we the fans are the ones who will get to vote on it. Who ever we pick actually being used is another story.

What if THE PRESIDENT WAS NONE OTHER THAN............

BRET "THE HITMAN" HART

I think it will be.

Danny Electric
06-23-2004, 08:26 AM
They should tape Smackdown in the middle of Walsall town centre on a Friday night and do one of thos vignettes when they fight in a bar.
Then get massive pub brawl going.

Sephiroth
06-23-2004, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=Shawn Mega]

WWE will name a new president.The president will have more power than the GM's.I'm thinking of HHH QUOTE]

:shifty:

Sephiroth
06-23-2004, 08:37 AM
WWE will name a new president.The president will have more power than the GM's.I'm thinking of HHH

:shifty:

The Mackem
06-23-2004, 09:13 AM
So more Euro dollars will head the WWE's way.

Die!

Rob
06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
One other thing... since when does the WWE plan five months ahead (which is essentially what November is) anyway??? And why would they talk about this now?

Oh well, whatever.

From what I understand, it's harder to book buildings here and they need the time to get work visas or whatever for the talent.