PDA

View Full Version : Hope of the States

El Capitano Gatisto
07-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I heard about this lot last year some time, in a newspaper article about bands to look out for. I think the article said they showed influences from some bands I really liked (namely Sigur Ros, Radiohead and Pink Floyd) which made their name stick in my head.

Anyway, I think that is bullshit. They may have liked those bands, but they don't really sound like any of them. Maybe grandiose Radiohead-style at times, perhaps somewhat like Muse too, but the vocals are different from those.

I got their debut album this week, and it is excellent, despite it not exactly being as different as the initial description would suggest.

It's ambitious for what is British mainstream rock, though. I say people who like Radiohead or Muse may like them, but who knows?

Track listing for download purposes, because you are pirates:

1. The Black Amnesias
2. Enemies/Friends
3. 66 Sleepers to Summer
4. Don't Go To Pieces
5. The Red The White The Black The Blue
6. Black Dollar Bills
7. George Washington
8. Me Ves Y Sufres
9. Sadness On My Back
10. Nehemiah
11. Goodhorsehymn
12. 1776

2, 6, 7, 10, stick out for me at this time.

Tornado
07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
only heard red/white/black/blue so far, they sound pretty good. Caught highlights of their Glastonbury set too, not to shabby.

Might <s>download</s> buy the album tomorrow...

TheNamelessOne
07-02-2004, 08:24 AM
I've only heard "The Red The White The Black The Blue", and I really like it. Their music sounds so epic which is one of the reasons I like the song so much.

Lead singer needs to drop the fake American singing accent though.