PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Inter-league play

jindrak
07-05-2004, 12:15 AM
I never liked the idea from the beginning. Also, I think inter-league play has lost some of its novelty.

On the flip side- Attendence is up, and fans get to watch stars from the other league. In addition, intra-city rivalries are developed (i.e Yankees/Mets, Cubs/Whitesox), which also add interest.

HOWEVER- Attendence would be the up if a team was playing a divisional foe. In addition, there are unfair match-ups pertaining to who plays who. Is it fair that the Mets have to play the Yankees 6 times, while the other teams in their division don't? (BTW, Mets sweeped the Yanks 3-0 today, so needless to say, I'm happy). :)

Thoughts on inter-league play?

sadio8
07-05-2004, 12:26 AM
I think its a pretty good idea. I live in Toronto so whenever i go to a Jays game I like a little variety in the teams they face. Which is why I like them playing National League teams, its just different and more interesting. I dunno i just like it :)

YOUR Hero
07-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Overall I think it has merit. Teams that may never, ever play each other, get to do so in this format.

Supreme Olajuwon
07-05-2004, 01:30 AM
I don't think the whole unfair matchup things is really a good argument because the Devil Rays play the Yankees and Red Sox like 40 times this year and only play the Tigers and Royals about 10 times a year while the Twins and White Sox get the reverse.

jindrak
07-05-2004, 01:37 AM
I don't think the whole unfair matchup things is really a good argument because the Devil Rays play the Yankees and Red Sox like 40 times this year and only play the Tigers and Royals about 10 times a year while the Twins and White Sox get the reverse.

I see where you are going to refute my argument.

Yankees and Mets are in two different leagues, and each of those leagues has their own divisions. One strength of baseball is the divisional rivalries, and I allude to the Mets playing the Yanks 6 times because no other team in their division has to play them. That cleary disadvantages the Mets, in comparision to the other teams in their division.

MoRcHeEbA
07-05-2004, 02:01 AM
I would like to know what the hell the scheduale makers were smoking when they thought up the idea to have TWO canadian teams play eachother on canada long weekend.... IN PUERTO RICO

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-05-2004, 04:37 AM
I actually like the idea a lot, even though the Sox always do bad during it it seems.

I like watching different teams play, it gets kind of boring seeing the same teams all the time so its nice for a change

The CyNick
07-05-2004, 04:19 PM
I dont see the problem with letting the Mets play the Yanks, or the Giants play the A's and so on. However, I dotn really see much of a point of seeing say the Cubs against the Devil Rays.

So maybe they just have a home and home series with one natural rival, and thats it.

BCWWF
07-05-2004, 04:51 PM
I am not a fan of interleague, in fact I like it the complete opposite. Just like the prime of the WWF and WCW, I think competition is great. The leagues are already unique in ways, DH and no DH, and the gameplay is different, but I wouldn't object to there being even more differences, but I at least like the old AL-NL format over the MLB format.

That being said, I think the league would have to restructure itself somewhat. The reason I say that is because obviously watching TV you can see that there is great atmosphere and great draws at some of the interleague games. The Subway Series, The Chicago Series, even the Minnesota-Milwaukee series gets people to drive the five hours and catch an away game.

The AL Central is probably the division that could use the restructuring the most. Milwaukee could become a great rival for both the Twins and White Sox. I wouldn't be too against allowing some of the two team cities to be in the same league, but I also swear that nobody cares about the White Sox and think they should be relocated.

Interleague has a few really good series', but 90% of them are just dumb and awful. The Twins are playing the Diamondbacks this week, and there is no novelty to that, nobody cares, its not neccessary. I'm not really thinking, but on the spot I can't even remember which division the AL Central played this year. Last year I remember hearing things like "The last time the Yankee's played the Cubs was in the World Series in 19??" like 90 years ago, I don't think it is worth breaking age old things like that for regular season games.

All that being said, I think the MLB needs to restructure its playoffs also. I would not be against a second tournament similar to the FA Cup, or else tournaments involving clubs from around the world (Champions League). But regardless, I think the playoffs needs to extend to at least two more teams. This year is a prime example, there are so many teams doing good right now, and how dissapointing is it going to be when so many good teams don't even get a shot.

BCWWF
07-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I dont see the problem with letting the Mets play the Yanks, or the Giants play the A's and so on. However, I dotn really see much of a point of seeing say the Cubs against the Devil Rays.

So maybe they just have a home and home series with one natural rival, and thats it.

I would agree with this 100%, except a lot of teams don't have a natural rival. Theres really no heat between Atlanta and Boston, and probably half of the other teams. I say just have the good natural drawing rivalries switch into the same league altogether, it would only require like four or five switches...its possible :rant: