PDA

View Full Version : Woah. The Majestic is possibly the most underrated movie ever.

#1-norm-fan
07-05-2004, 07:24 AM
I remember seeing and liking it when it first came out but then I saw it today and :eek:

Seriously can't figure out why people hate this movie. It's great.

Triple A
07-05-2004, 07:25 AM
People hate it because they're not used to Jim Carrey doing drama.

I remember trying to watch it when it came out on video, but couldn't really pay attention, so I barely remember anything.

#1-norm-fan
07-05-2004, 07:28 AM
It came out after The Truman Show though and people liked THAT. Granted The Truman Show was a bit more comedic than The Majestic. I dunno.

TheNamelessOne
07-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Its on Sky Movies all the time, its just I always catch it halfway through.

Whats it exactly about?

#1-norm-fan
07-05-2004, 07:59 AM
It's set in the early '50s. Jim Carrey plays a hollywood screenwriter who unknowingly went to a communist meeting when he was in college to impress a girl. Because of this, he gets blacklisted and then he gets in a car accident, the car falls off a bridge and his body gets washed up in a small town where all the people mistake him for a war hero that was thought to be dead.

It's 2 1/2 hours long but entertaining the whole way.

da_king
07-05-2004, 10:35 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">

it was okay, i dunno. i thought carrey did a good job for a serious role.
</font>

mitch_h
07-05-2004, 04:58 PM
It was OK, at times it was a little too sentimental and got kinda corny, it was also a little to predictable... and should have been a half hour shorter. But Carrey was good and the movie had a nice "feel" to it.

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 05:29 PM
It came out after The Truman Show though and people liked THAT. Granted The Truman Show was a bit more comedic than The Majestic. I dunno.
You answered your own question here.

Truman was funnier, it had more trademark Carrey, for better or worse. It wasn't a straight drama.

The Majestic had to fight a war on two fronts. 1: Carrey fans are likely to hate it because they're largely used to lowbrow comedy. 2: Drama fans are going to hate it because they're carrying a stereotype of Carrey in terms of low-brown humour.

Boondock Saint
07-05-2004, 06:26 PM
It was pretty good, overlong though.

Supreme Olajuwon
07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I was pretty muched glued to the screen when I saw it. I loved it. One of my friends hated it because everytime they talked about the soldier he thought of Armon Tanzarian and Principal Skinner

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-06-2004, 03:35 PM
It was OK, at times it was a little too sentimental and got kinda corny, it was also a little to predictable... and should have been a half hour shorter. But Carrey was good and the movie had a nice "feel" to it.