PDA

View Full Version : Baseball World Cup

BCWWF
07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
What are your opinions on it?

My biggest concern is that it is taking a back door to MLB. The World Cup should be more important than the club play, otherwise it won't be a success. The main example I am thinking of is that the tournament is being planned in MLB spring training. The problems I see are that March is before people tend to pay attention to baseball and that a lot of players don't play good until midseason.

I think the only way for this to be a success would be for the MLB to drop 20 games from its schedule every four years and allow it to happen midseason.

Loose Cannon
07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Gotta say I love the idea except there is a problem and you kind of metioned it BCWWF. Are the teams going to have the best possible players they can have or not? Like I hop this is not like the US Basketball Olympic teams, where they don't take the absolute best talents. This needs to have all the great players in there or else it's not going to be that great.

stima
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
MLB Players won't to do because they would probably ban legal stuff like Creatine etc and i've seen players claiming they are not willing to stop taking it (Example: Posada from the Yanks)

ct2k
07-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Agreed with LC, gotta have the stars for it to be a success.

Boy imagine the Dominican Republic team :|

Loose Cannon
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I think we'd get killed by those Cuban, Dominican Republic etc... teams

ct2k
07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Well i reckon it'd be a fuckin amazing tournament if it could be done with all the top players, the US would have a pretty shit hot team too

BCWWF
07-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I just think that if there was a break in the regular season more players would be bound to do it and be in better shape to perform at peak level. You always hear things like "Joe Nathan doesn't throw well in spring training but once the season starts he gets more velocity" for example.

If you look at the soccer world cup, its like the whole world stops to watch it, and it is the greatest privledge ever to be a part of it. Technically, second to soccer baseball has the most countries able to support good teams, so by that alone it should be better than basketball, now the organizers just have to make sure they set this thing up like butter.