PDA

View Full Version : Sparta: "Porcelain"

mitchables
07-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeahp, bought Sparta's new album, Porcelain, today. I must say, I am very, very impressed. I am a huge fan of the band's last effort, Wiretap Scars, and this has so far blown me away. The first two tracks are a complete sound change for Sparta, and weren't really what I was expecting. The first track, Guns Of Memorial Park, even has a slightly Mars Volta-style feel to it. Track two, Hiss The Villain, hits hard and fast, and is a different sound for the band too.

However, after the first two tracks (don't get me wrong, I love them anyway), the CD really takes a definitive Sparta-of-old turn. Seriously, this CD is amazing. If you liked Wiretap Scars, then DEFINTELY go out and get this CD. Seriously.

So far, my favourite tracks are:

While Oceana Sleeps
Breaking The Broken :love: :love: :love:
Lines In Sand
Syncope
From Now To Never

The whole damn thing rules though.

The Destroyer
07-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I'll download a few tracks...

Anything to distract me from spoiling that "first listen" pleasure of other albums I'm waiting for. :-\

Ninti the Mad
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Do they sound in any way like ATD-I?

If not, I am not really interested. Their first CD was alright but I prefer the complexities of Omar/ Cedric/ and the bunch.

mitchables
07-11-2004, 03:25 AM
Ninti, I assume you've given Mars Volta a try then?

Basically, Sparta sound "more" like At The Drive In than they did on Wiretap Scars, that is to say, their music has really evolved in terms of maturity and complexity. Plus, there's the Jim Scream. :love:

Give Guns Of Memorial Park, Breaking The Broken and While Oceana Sleeps a try.

Boomer
07-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Saw them live opening for Pearl Jam. I didn't enjoy them a whole lot, but then again, I couldn't name you one of their songs.

Ninti the Mad
07-11-2004, 02:05 PM
Uh, I've given them both a try before they even made records. :p

The thing about Sparta, albeit good music, is that there is no innovation.

I'll probably give a couple of songs a listen.

The Outlaw
07-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Saw them live opening for Pearl Jam. I didn't enjoy them a whole lot, but then again, I couldn't name you one of their songs.

Same here :love:

Boomer
07-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Same here :love:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Outlaw again.

:'(

mitchables
07-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Uh, I've given them both a try before they even made records. :p

The thing about Sparta, albeit good music, is that there is no innovation.

I'll probably give a couple of songs a listen.

Well ex-cuse me, Mr. I live-on-the-Tex-Mex-Border-so-I-heard-of-ATDI,-Sparta,-and-Mars-Volta-before-anyone-else. :p

Ninti the Mad
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
EL PASO REPRESENT

:shifty:

Triple A
07-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Delicous album. :love: :love: :love: