PDA

View Full Version : Views from a casual fan

Innovator
07-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I coaxed my friend who has seen only a couple shows here and there to come with me to Vengeance. By the end of the night he was pretty into it.

He said a couple things which struck me, that even a person who just picked up on wrestling figured out.

-The only guy who he started cheering was Benoit

-He thinks they are stretching Eugene out too much. He said he was enjoying the main event a lot until Eugene showed up.

-He thought Orton/Edge was awesome

Mayo
07-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Well this is one person's perspective, but I wonder if the general population also thinks that guys like Hardy, Jericho, RVD, etc. should get pushes, Benoit and Guerrero make good champs, JBL and Hunter are crap, and all of the other smark ideas.

Transplant
07-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Well this is one person's perspective, but I wonder if the general population also thinks that guys like Hardy, Jericho, RVD, etc. should get pushes, Benoit and Guerrero make good champs, JBL and Hunter are crap, and all of the other smark ideas.

JBL is one funny bastard, WTF are you on?

Mayo
07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
He is already boring since his promos are very monotone and hes not THAT funny. He can't wrestle, and gets the WWE title after doing stupid shit that anyone else would get fired for. I'm hoping that the WWE sees how bad of a champ that he is before they suffer through more low Smackdown PPV buyrates. JBL is a piece of shit, my friend.

The One
07-12-2004, 09:02 PM
My cousin came to visit me not too long ago and we sat down and watched RAW together and he said he thought Chris Jericho & Randy Orton rocked...and he hated Triple H...he said he thought he was boring and use too over used.

*My cousin has never watched pro wrestling either.*

loopydate
07-12-2004, 09:09 PM
JBL is one funny bastard, WTF are you on?He also broke a national law in Germany and got punished by receiving a WWE Title reign.

The One
07-12-2004, 09:16 PM
He also broke a national law in Germany and got punished by receiving a WWE Title reign.

I don't like what he did any more then the next guy, and yes I do find the Nazi jokes to be a tad funny, but if Chris Jericho was getting a HUGE push as a major heel and he did that...don't you think maybe, just MAYBE we would forgive him quicker?

loopydate
07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't, but I can see where some people would.

Personally, I think that the law is in place there for a reason, and anyone who breaks it should face the consequences.

LK
07-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by loopydate
I wouldn't, but I can see where some people would.

Yeah I would agree with this

.44 Magdalene
07-13-2004, 01:06 PM
My friend's a casual fan who thinks Jericho kicks ass, Kane looks goofy and JBL stopped being cool when he stopped being an Acolyte.

That close enough?

He hasn't really mentioned anything about Chris Benoit or HHH, so I couldn't tell you. He was confused last night, though, by the outcome of the main event on RAW when they never actually ringed the bell to end the match, even after Evolution rushed ass and quite obviously caused a DQ.

The CyNick
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I love watching wrestling with my friends who watch once in a blue moon. Watching with hardcore wrestling fans is fun in some repsects, btu you get a slanted view of what people want because what we like isn't what the average person wants.

You'd be amazed how many caual friends I have who think guys like Kane and Batista are the best, for no other reason then they are so big. I remember one guy talking to me a while back about Jericho facing Kane (bringing this up because they worked again last night) and he was saying "like as if Jericho could ever take Kane". So for some people, Vince's bigger is better theory is right on. Only problem is that the numbers dont agree with that one.

The other thing most of my casual friends like is the big bumps (falls, chair shots, ladder, and so on), now that that part of is basically gone they have very little interest. I remember so many of my friends saying that the TLC matches at Mania and Summerslam were the best of all time, so now they find things really boring.

But the biggest change is that they dont see any of the guys as real stars. A lot of my friends like Benoit and Eddie, but they dont see them on the level of guys like Hunter, Austin, Rock, Foley and Taker. Thats the hardest thing to change, its so hard to make fans see a guy as a superstar, which is why they will likely be in the toilet for a long time.

BTW, most people I know hate Eugene, they think its one of the dumbest things in WWE history, like TL Hopper dumb.

Rob
07-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Everytime I watch wrestling with someone who doesn't usually watch or someone who hasn't watched in ages, they all complain about HHH still being on top. Now if the general public think that, how wrong are the internet fans? I guess they can ignore the 10 million people who used to watch wrestling on Monday nights but don't now.

The Mackem
07-13-2004, 05:03 PM
My dad was watching Ultimate X2 the other week with me while waiting for his programme to come on. That stopped him going on about how corny wrestling is but still maintained the fact that "they would be dead if they were really doing that" and laughed at how slow they were at trying to get the belt.

mike616
07-14-2004, 04:00 AM
As for BJL as long as Vince likes him they will have Eddy try and make him look like a legit champion.IMO BJL is beyond Eddy's help.

Aussie Skier
07-14-2004, 06:05 AM
i watched a bit of wrestling with my old man the other week (last 20 odd minutes or something)

I think wrestling succeeds when someone says "This is all so fake", and yet, they see something and say "ouch...did he really hit him then?"

:D

Moonspell
07-14-2004, 06:35 AM
i watched a bit of wrestling with my old man the other week (last 20 odd minutes or something)

I think wrestling succeeds when someone says "This is all so fake", and yet, they see something and say "ouch...did he really hit him then?"

:D

Wish I had the luck of getting my bestfriend to respond that way to watching RAW. She was so uninterested, the moment I stepped out of the room she turned the tv off and listened to Machine Head. Although, I did get a "That flop was funny," out of her when asking for an opinion.