PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to the Quebec "Nordiks"

Kapoutman
07-16-2004, 12:58 PM
WHA announces return of Nordiks

Canadian Press

7/15/2004

QUEBEC CITY (CP) - Quebec City is getting its Nordiques back, give or take a few letters.

The city's team in the fledgling World Hockey Association will be called the Nordiks, franchise president Jean-Paul Boily announced Thursday.

The team, whose logo is a polar bear growling against a blue background, will be one of six in the new league, which begins play this fall. The others are in Halifax, Hamilton, Toronto, Dallas and Detroit.

The Nordiques played seven seasons in the old WHA before joining the NHL in 1979-80. The franchise moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche before the 1995-96 season.

Boily's strategy in adopting a similar-sounding name is quite understandable because the Nordiques were a very popular team whose departure from the small-market area continues to be a sore point among many locals.

"The choice was near-unanimous,'' Boily told a news conference. "People want their identity and that's what we want to give them back.''

Boily said the NHL warned the Nordiks not to use the modified name because the more established league still owns the rights to the Nordiques name.

"There may be problems on that front but we're ready,'' he told a news conference. "To give the name back to Quebec City residents, any legal hassles will be worth it."

"The name isn't the same as the original, it's spelled differently and the logo is completely different, so we don't think there can be any confusion.''

Boily has said the franchise has asked trademark officials to clarify the matter.

Here is the new logo of the franchise.

http://www.rds.ca/images/chroniques/hockey/HOCKEYHOCDIV40F6DEE1.jpg

So, what do you think? I always wanted the Nordiques to return, but not as "The Nordiks", and not in WHA. Anybody has an idea what the other teams are? I only heard of the Halifax Icebreakers as far as other franchises go.

Supreme Olajuwon
07-16-2004, 08:03 PM
They're trying to start a team in Cincinnati but I don't think there's enough interest in the area. I'll keep my fingers crossed

Nordiks is kinda dumb IMO

BCWWF
07-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Where did the Minnesota Moose end up? I thought they were NHL for so long

da_king
07-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Where did the Minnesota Moose end up? I thought they were NHL for so long

<font color="#ccffcc">
there's a manitoba moose. i dunno if it's the same team that got moved or what, it's the canucks farm team. too bad they couldn't keep the original nordiques name, it should belong to the city and not the NHL. i think they were trying to start up a whl team here but local interests were able to squash that idea.

</font>

Supreme Olajuwon
07-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I thought the Manitoba Moose were AHL or IHL or one of those.

I think the WHA had to pick between Dallas and Vancouver for their last franchise for their first season and I guess the interest was higher in Dallas although that means there are no western teams in the league

Zelda
07-16-2004, 08:38 PM
:cool:

MoRcHeEbA
07-16-2004, 08:56 PM
A guy from Winnipeg bought the Minnesota Moose in 96 and moved them to Winnipeg, they started in the IHL then when that league went belly up they became part of the AHL.

YOUR Hero
07-17-2004, 01:04 AM
Hate them already. :mad:

DaveWadding
07-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Now we can them "the Dicks"

Lara Emily
07-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Stupid spelling. Too bad the league will probably not last. It would not surprise me if the league folds before a single game is ever played.

Penner
07-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Now we can them "the Dicks"What a sentence.

Sensei Of Mattitude
07-18-2004, 01:40 AM
if the NHL is going down fast, the WHA has what Vince McMahon likes to call...... "No Chance in Hell"

BCWWF
07-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Thats true Sensei. The if the NHL can't get fans in hockey hotbeds Carolina, Florida, and Atlanta then how does this league think they will get fans in Rugby hungry Canada?

The Mackem
07-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Maybe they will offer free paper hats to spectators, people like free stuff.

Kapoutman
07-19-2004, 03:07 PM
They held a draft with NHL free agents. They only got the rights to them, now they have to convince them to sign.

BCWWF
07-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Which shouldn't be a huge problem if there is a lock out

Zen v.W.o.
07-20-2004, 02:15 AM

There wont be a lockout I'm pretty sure of it. And personally I don't see this new league doing well. Especially if the NHL is on for the season.

The province of quebec only needs one Hokcey team anyhow, and that's the Habs. :y:

Funky Fly
07-20-2004, 02:31 AM
The Calgary Hitmen.

Zen v.W.o.
07-20-2004, 08:16 PM
The Calgary Hitmen.

They rule.

Kapoutman
07-27-2004, 01:18 PM

There wont be a lockout I'm pretty sure of it. And personally I don't see this new league doing well. Especially if the NHL is on for the season.

The province of quebec only needs one Hokcey team anyhow, and that's the Habs. :y:
I absolutely love the Habs, but The Nordiques were great too.

Gonzo
07-27-2004, 01:56 PM
This league is going to be a laugh fest. The NHL is where its at and it is only a matter of time before it gets back going and people are into that again. Go Devils!