PDA

View Full Version : 10 Sorriest Franchises in Sports History

Lotus
12-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, at least in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. I don't follow the NHL enough, and if I included the MLS, then there wouldn't be room for everybody else. I base this on fan attendance and win/loss percentage of the franchise. Well, I didn't take any serious statistics, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. If someone has already done something like this, I'm sorry. I haven't seen anything on these new boards about something like this, so my apologies if this is a repeat topic:

1. Montreal Expos- God they suck. They might have had a couple of seasons around .500 lately, but when is the last time they made the playoffs? Have they even made the playoffs? Do people in Montreal realize that they have a team there? I originally had the Cardinals of Arizona at #1, but then I remembered these ****ers. I could go on for years about these guys, but that's ok. The only thing I will say, however, is that I remember last season when they had a pivotal series against the Braves right after the All-Star Break. The Expos were only 7 or 8 games back of Atlanta, it was in Montreal, and they had their highest attendance of the season I think for a Friday night game in the series: 20,000.

2. Arizona Cardinals- At first, I was going to put the Clippers here, but then I soon thought better of it. Talk about a franchise with no future at all in sight, at least the Clippers have some nice young talent. All the Cards have is Boldin. Not only have they not gone to a SuperBowl, but they've only won one playoff game since moving to Arizona and this year, their fan attendance is around 30,000 per game. God that is horrible for the NFL. I'm not sure if that includes the Chargers/Dolphins game, probably not, but if it did, it would just make shit worse. These guys never keep their good players and it just seems like they will never, ever get out of last place of the NFC West. The formula for success in Arizona is to get a new team president, better upper management, a new coach, a new city (where they could get fans that actually care and a better stadium), a new QB, a new offense (other than Shipp and Boldin), and a new defense. They might as well change their name and uniforms while their at it, just in case that has something to do with their sucktitude. And most likely, Shipp and Boldin won't be there much longer; they never hold on to their good players.

3. Los Angeles Clippers- Yeah, here is another franchise doomed to suck ass for all eternity. These guys haven't made the playoffs in years, and the last time they did make the playoffs, they went in with a staggering 36-46 record, only to be swept by Utah. A couple years ago it looked like they were finally gonna do something good and I actually picked them to go to the playoffs last year after a 40-42 performance the season before, but to no avail, with seemingly the same players, they go 27-55. The Clips need to get out of LA fast because the Lakers hog all the attention there. They should come up to San Jose, a city deserving of an NBA team.

4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays- So what if they've only been around 6 or 7 years? The team still has yet to win 70 games in a season. In that same time, the Arizona Diamondbacks (the other team that came into the MLB with them) has won a World Series and made the playoffs 3 times and are always in the hunt for the playoffs when they don't make it. Also, their ballpark sucks ass and their fanbase is as pitiful as any team's in baseball. They might have some bright new talent in Baldelli and Crawford, but it will be a cold day in hell before the Rays get out of the cellar in the A.L. East.

5. San Diego Chargers- Any team based in San Diego is destined to choke on a chode. They've made one Super Bowl, and they got clobbered by the Niners 49-26, or something like that. They also can't ever finish a season. Last year, they were 6-1 and ended up with an 8-8 record. The year before that, they started 5-2 and lost their last nine. Another time, they started 4-4 and lost their last eight. They will NEVER win a Super Bowl and I don't see them making the playoffs for a while. Another thing, whenever the Raiders or Niners go down to SD to play the Chargers, there is always more Raiders or Niners fans at the game. Says a lot about their fan support. They should move out of San Diego before they go bankrupt.

6. San Diego Padres- Like I said earlier, any team based in San Diego will never fare too well in the long run. The Padres go to the playoffs seemingly once a decade, and in their 2 World Series appearances, they have a 1-8 record. Once again, their fanbase is horrible. No one in San Diego seems to give a damn about sports. Even when Tony Gwynn was there, they weren't selling out or coming close to selling out. While they might have made some nice off-season moves in getting Brian Giles from Pittsburgh and perhaps getting Maddux, there are still 3 teams better than the Padres in their division, and Colorado isn't that far behind them.

7. Milwaukee Brewers- Yeah, this team has not done jackshit since the 80s besides losing 100 games seemingly every year. To make things worse, they are owned by Bud Selig and they traded away their best player in years in Richie Sexson. I might have said the Cards have no future, but this team really doesn't because MLB teams have worse odds of making the playoffs than NFL teams do. Plain and simple, the Brewers are ****ed for eternity.

8. Atlanta Falcons- Yeah, they might have Vick and yeah, they might be tied with the Raiders for being my favorite NFL team, but its never a good thing when a team like Atlanta has been around for more than 40 years and has never gone to the playoffs two years in a row. These guys are like the San Diego Chargers of the NFC: suck ass, suck ass, make the playoffs, suck ass, suck ass, make the Super Bowl and get raped by a historically good team, and then suck more ass. Even with Vick, it won't be a piece of cake making two consecutive trips to the playoffs in the NFL with all the parity in the league. I hope that can be erased, though.

9. Cincinnati Bengals- If it wasn't for this year, they would be in the top five in this list. Going to and playing very competitively in two Super Bowls also has something to do with them being this low on the list. I was thinking about leaving them off this blacklist, but 12 or 13 consecutive seasons with a record of 8-8 or worse definitely solidifies a spot for Cincy. I guess they have pretty good fans, but the 90s and the early part of this decade (the first three seasons at least) was god awful. And they still might add to that string of .500 or worse seasons if they lose to the Browns, although I doubt that. And also, for them to get off this list, they have to do this type of thing more than once. It has to be a string of good seasons for them to be removed.

10. Seattle Seahawks- They rarely have bad seasons, but they rarely have good seasons too. They always seem to finish around the 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 range. I could have this wrong, but I have heard that this franchise has never won a playoff game, and they have been around for 27 years or so. OUCH. I'm not sure what their fanbase is like, I suppose it's ok, but they are doomed to be in NFL purgatory forever. This year is no exception. I hope they will beat the Niners and the Packers lose so Seattle can squeak in, but I can't see that happening. SF will beat them and it won't matter what GB does.

Uhh, there's the list. Here are a couple of other honorable mentions for ya:

Denver Nuggets
Memphis Grizzlies
Detroit Lions
Cleveland Cavaliers

So, what do ya think of the list? Am I pretty right on, or am I way off? What would you change to the list?

Yashamaga
12-26-2003, 07:44 PM
penguins - had one of the most dominant teams in the early 90's. Had Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Markus Naslund, Robert Lang, Alexei Kovalev and many other talented players. All that's left is Lemieux due to money issues. (and he's the one keeping the franchise alive. He's taken a pay cut, and other drastic measures to keep them from bankruptcy.)

road doggy dogg
12-26-2003, 07:54 PM
How does that make them a horrible franchise? At least they've won the Cup in recent years.

Anyways, I agree with most of those... most notably the Cardinals and Falcons

Yashamaga
12-26-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm just saying that what they've been reduced to is sorry-esque

AareDub
12-26-2003, 08:18 PM
I agree with most of those except the Falcons. I'm not saying they aren't really bad, but somebody like the Lions or the Cavs (both on your honorable mention list) would fit better in that spot.

It's crazy to call the Pens a bad franchise. Sure they look bad right now, but overall as a franchise there are far worse in the world of hockey. I'd say for example the Columbus Blue Jackets (probably not fair because they are pretty new) or the Florida Panthers.

road doggy dogg
12-26-2003, 08:22 PM
No trust me, the Falcons are worse than the Lions

MoRcHeEbA
12-26-2003, 08:39 PM
I would take off

Atlanta
Montreal
San Diego Chargers
Tampa Bay
and Detroit off the list

Any team who can go to a championship game in their leagues aren't a sorry team. I mean sure Montreal didn't go to or win the world series. I do believe they had a championship team in 94 before the strike took place.

San Diego - has had good seasons before and they will again. They went to the finals in 96 I believe so that point alone makes me feel they aren't a sorry team.

Atlanta - was in the super bowl in 98 and they could have been a championship team this year if injuries didn't affect them on offense and Defense.

Tampa - Hassn't been around long enough. That's like saying Columbus and Nashville have bad teams cause they haven't been to the playoffs in there 3 years as being teams.

Detroit - is gonna be in the superbowl in the next 5 years if they continue to build like they are.

Yashamaga
12-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Columbus and Florida are building nicely and will be contenders in a few years.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Falcons have a bright future with Vick, Dunn, and Duckette

Everyone remembers Vick was hurt.....but so wasn't their starting tailback Dunn.....you can't really expect much from a team that doesn't have either of their key backfield starters in the game.......especially if your starting QB is Mike Vick who basically IS the offense for the Falcons

#1-norm-fan
12-27-2003, 03:00 AM
The Falcons SO do not belong on that list. They have made it to a Super Bowl and regardless of the parity in the NFL, they should be able to be a contender for years to come.

And how in the hell can anyone consider Atlanta worse than the Lions!? Atlanta has won their division recently, they've made it to a Super Bowl, their future is about a million times brighter than Detroit's...

Bad Guy
12-27-2003, 03:44 AM
Detroit has won NFL Championships. They just haven't won the Superbowl.

MoRcHeEbA
12-27-2003, 04:08 AM
so have the cleveland browns so I wouldn't really take that into account Bad Guy :)

#1-norm-fan
12-27-2003, 04:14 AM
lol. Detroit has won NFL Championships, just not the Super Bowl... in other words, they haven't been good for atleast 40 years.

YOUR Hero
12-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Expos :sad: My team.. They indeed are the worst at the moment bad stadium, shit fan base, verge of collapsing/relocating. I love them so much.

Bad Guy
12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
Just because they haven't been to the superbowl doesn't mean they haven't been good. they were a field goal away from the superbowl once and i think they made it to the nfc champ. again but blew it big time.

Lotus
12-27-2003, 01:35 PM
About the Falcons, I'm saying over the years they have been extremely poor. And yeah, their future might be bright, but how do you know for sure that they are going to win with that team until they actually put up the W's? Over 40 years, they haven't gone to the playoffs two seasons in a row. That alone is enough to be put on that list. And not only that, but the year after they make the playoffs, they don't even come close to contending. After they made the playoffs in 1995 (their win against the Niners to get into the playoffs is probably one of my favorite games ever), they went 3-13 in the '96 campaign. After making the Super Bowl in '98, they went 5-11. Sure, Jamal Anderson was injured for 14 1/2 games that year, but their troubles went deeper than that. And after making the playoffs last year, the Falcons will at best be 5-11, of course because of Vick. But good teams don't have to rely on one player in order to win. And before Vick came, they had some of the most apathetic fans in the league. Trust me; I went to a Falcon game in the pre-Vick era, and it was more like a little social thing instead of a football game. All of this is coming from a Falcons' fan. I'm not just putting them up there because I hate them, that is far from the case. I wouldn't bash one of my teams for no reason. I love the Falcons and I watch all of their games on DirecTV every Sunday. But historically, they are a weak franchise, and until they put up a string of consecutive winning seasons and are contending for the playoffs, they will be on my list.

AareDub
12-27-2003, 02:21 PM
But good teams don't have to rely on one player in order to win.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels that way. I think it's truly sad that a team can go from one of the best in the league to one of the worst in the league due, mainly, to the absence of one person. A team should be just that, a TEAM. It shouldn't be a bunch of guys that depend on one player.

Anyway, back on topic. When I think of awful teams in the NFL a team comes to mind that I'll probably get a lot of heat for mentioning. They have done ok in recent years, even won a superbowl, but I think overall the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are an awful franchise. I remember back in the 90's when nobody took them seriously. Vinny Testaverde was the only thing they had going for them (unless you count those spiffy orange uniforms) and even he wasn't enough to get them more than a couple of wins in a season. They've pulled themselves up from that in recent years and they do deserve credit for that. However, one or two good years isn't enough to make up for the years of disappointment. This year should be a good example that the Bucs just aren't cut out to be the top team in the league.

DaveWadding
12-27-2003, 03:50 PM
The Rockies should be on the list. I mean they came in the league in 93..10 years ago, and they've only made 1 playoff appearance in that time. Their counterpart, the Marlins, came in the league at the same time, and have won 2 World Series.

Optik
12-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Yeh, the Marlins have won 2 World Series, but they have a terrible terrible fanbase. Right when they got into the playoffs all the sudden their were so many Marlins fans. During their regular games they got about 3000-5000 fans. Thats just a ****ing joke. When they got into the playoffs they had over 60000 fans. Take this from a person who lives in Miami, and grew up going to the Marlin games, get the team out of Miami. Miami has the worst fan base in the entire country for everything and anything.

Also the Dolphins should be an honorable mention for your list as well as the Panters and the Heat.

BCWWF
12-27-2003, 04:43 PM
I agree with the first four you listed. All of those teams are going nowhere and they know it, so they aren't trying to improve. They play in shitty facilities (Except the Cardinals eventually) and have bad fan bases, there is no winning.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have got to be the shittiest team in baseball. They play in the shittiest dome ever, The Tropicana Done, especially when they play in Florida. Florida sucks at being fans except for Football. Then they are in the best conference in baseball, the Yankee's and Red Sox are always going to be better than them, and when they arent really good either Baltimore or Toronto will be, there is just no hope.

Yashamaga
12-27-2003, 05:00 PM
The Tampa Bay Devil Rays have got to be the shittiest team in baseball. They play in the shittiest dome ever, The Tropicana Done, especially when they play in Florida. Florida sucks at being fans except for Football. Then they are in the best conference in baseball, the Yankee's and Red Sox are always going to be better than them, and when they arent really good either Baltimore or Toronto will be, there is just no hope.

yeah it's gotta be tough playing for the D-Rays. I don't think they'll ever get in to the playoffs. New York and Boston are the 2 biggest teams in the league and will always have deep enough pockets to make a run. So it'll be damn near impossible just for the Jays/Orioles to make it, but the Devil rays are just completely out of the question.

They should make a push to get out of this division if they can...same for the blue jays and orioles :D

Gertner
12-27-2003, 05:27 PM
the nashville predators are coming along rather well.

Gertner
12-27-2003, 05:28 PM
The Atlanta Hawks as well.

#1-norm-fan
12-28-2003, 01:42 AM
If you're gonna mention the Dolphins, let's not forget the Bills who lost 4 Super Bowls in about a 5 year span.

Also, I don't think Detroit has even made it to the NFC Championship.

BCWWF
12-28-2003, 02:09 AM
I feel bad for Detoits sports fans. Besides the Wings they never seem to have a decent team (Unless they care about the Pistons)

AareDub
12-28-2003, 11:13 AM
I feel bad for Detoits sports fans. Besides the Wings they never seem to have a decent team (Unless they care about the Pistons)

That's why they call it HockeyTown :)

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Expos :sad: My team.. They indeed are the worst at the moment bad stadium, shit fan base, verge of collapsing/relocating. I love them so much.
Expo got a good looking hat though.....I got an all red one myself :cool:

JokerFace
12-29-2003, 02:39 AM
not much of a hockey fan myself, but the blackhawks are the biggest joke in my mind. continually gets rid of good players, and never ever signs a big free agent.

dont show home games on TV, and trust me, it hurts because there is a whole generation here in chicago that doesnt watch hockey because we have no influence from the chicago blackhawks (including myself).

amazing cause people in their 30s and stuff love hockey.

Bad Guy
12-29-2003, 02:42 AM
What are you talking about man? Detroit Red Wings= God. Detroit Pistons= God. Detroit Tigers= God. Detroit Lions= God. Michigan Football= Uber God. This is the best state for sports. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

PsychoSport
12-29-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm kinda wondering why you left the Grizzlies off that list.

The Miz
12-29-2003, 03:19 AM
10. Seattle Seahawks- They rarely have bad seasons, but they rarely have good seasons too. They always seem to finish around the 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 range. I could have this wrong, but I have heard that this franchise has never won a playoff game, and they have been around for 27 years or so. OUCH. I'm not sure what their fanbase is like, I suppose it's ok, but they are doomed to be in NFL purgatory forever. This year is no exception. I hope they will beat the Niners and the Packers lose so Seattle can squeak in, but I can't see that happening. SF will beat them and it won't matter what GB does.

1984 AFC Wildcard Playoff Game: Seattle Seahawks 13 - 7 Los Angeles Raiders

Bad Guy
12-29-2003, 03:31 AM

Bad Guy
12-29-2003, 03:33 AM

Lotus
12-29-2003, 03:52 AM
1984 AFC Wildcard Playoff Game: Seattle Seahawks 13 - 7 Los Angeles Raiders

Thank you for correcting me, Miz. Good call, and congrats to your Seahawks on making the playoffs. :y:

The Miz
12-29-2003, 04:11 AM
:cool:

by the way

test

Cassidy
12-29-2003, 04:24 AM
I don't see how teams that have made it to championship games, whether it only be once or twice can be the sorriest in history. How about picking teams that have never made the playoffs or championship games??

Lotus
12-29-2003, 04:32 AM
Just because a team like the Chargers has a good season every 10 years doesn't mean the franchise isn't shitty. Hell, even the Cards will put up a good season out of nowhere in the next 10 years or so. The teams on this list, like the Chargers and Falcons, aren't consistent with their winning ways. I already explained the case with the Falcons, and the year after the Chargers won the Super Bowl, they went 9-7 and lost in the first round of the playoffs 35-20 to the Steelers I think. And yeah, the Lions would be a nice fit on the list, but there are at least 12 franchises worse off or just historically worse than they are. Perhaps if this was a top 15 list, they would be on it. To answer someone else's question, the Grizzlies aren't on this list because even though it took them 5 seasons to win at least 20 games in a season, they last couple of years they have shown promise and they are a .500 ballclub. Plus, they've only been around 7 or 8 years. And yes, the D-Rays are on that list, but come on, they truly are pathetic, and they will never make the playoffs.

Oh and Miz, that sig is sick. Is that Shaun pointing the finger? His arm is covering up his jersey a bit.

The Miz
12-29-2003, 04:44 AM
that is indeed shaun awesomeander.

samichna
12-29-2003, 05:25 PM
The Montreal Expos would have won the 1994 World Series if it weren't for the strike.

**** Major League Baseball though, and **** Bud Selig even harder.

#1-norm-fan
12-29-2003, 06:19 PM

Alright. So they did make it to one NFC Championship and got blown 41-10. Doesn't say much.

The Naitch
12-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Vancouver Grizzlies. God they sucked ass! They lasted only a couple of seasons. We do have tons of peeps that like basketball here, but I guess there wasn't enough interest to keep the team alive in Vancouver. Shame.

BCWWF
12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
The Vancouver Grizzlies is not a sorry franchise, they are developing very nice in Memphis right now

da_king
12-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Vancouver Grizzlies. God they sucked ass! They lasted only a couple of seasons. We do have tons of peeps that like basketball here, but I guess there wasn't enough interest to keep the team alive in Vancouver. Shame.

<font color="#ccffcc">
i blame the ownership for putting out a sh</>itty product. the lack of interest was just an excuse, people were comming out the first few seasons to give them a chance. we probably drew better crowds here than they are in memphis. if only they had drafted steve nash :rant:

</font>

road doggy dogg
12-29-2003, 08:37 PM
LOL #1-wwf-fan is just bitter because the Cowboys are just as bad as the Lions.

Oh well, at least everyone knows that Barry > Emmitt

Heyman
12-29-2003, 08:40 PM
-Vancouver Grizzlies
-Detroit Tigers
-Seattle Sea Hawks
-New York Rangers
-Buffalo Bills
-Boston Red Sox
-Milwaukie Brewers
-Hamilton Tiger Cats

*fill in the last 2; I'm too tired right now* :-\

#1-norm-fan
12-29-2003, 09:32 PM

Oh well, at least everyone knows that Barry > Emmitt

Yeah... Dallas is just as bad as the Lions with their record 5 Super Bowl wins to the Lions 0 Super Bowl appearances. :wtf:

The Miz
12-29-2003, 10:21 PM

lol what? dallas has 5 more superbowls. yeah they've sucked the last few years but they're back on track now with parcells. there's no way you could honestly say the cowboys are as bad as the lions.

pulled a yash. :p

The Dub
01-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Wow! No one has mentioned the New Orleans Saints. In over 35 years, they have only won one playoff game. This team has a curse. Never turn off a Saints game while they're up. That is no guarantee that they'll win. Tom Benson is the Donald Sterling of the NFL. He has let countless star players leave only to shine on other teams. Look at Jake Delhomme. Saints fans can't forget the "Dome Patrol", which was probably the greatest linebacking corps in the history of the NFL. Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Vaughan Johnson and Sam Mills. How many teams can send their entire linebacking corps to the Pro Bowl and still not be able to win a playoff game? They started the season 7-2 last season and didn't make the playoffs. They cannot win in December. They have the talent to win, but they just seem to **** it up every time.

Lotus
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Shit, I forgot all about them. You make a good point, Rabid, and I can't prove you wrong... ;)

DegenerationY
01-10-2004, 10:17 PM
I would say the Golden State Warriors are very close to making that list. Yeah, they used to be awesome in the days of RunTMC and whatnot... but they haven't had a decent season since at least 1994. Add that to the contraversy with all the coaches, Lattrell Sprewell choking his coach, the new Nick Van Exel bitching and whining, it's just the same old shit.

Oh yeah, and that whole "let's trade Mitch Richmond entering his prime for Billy Owens, who decided to hold out on the Kings" thing. DUMBASS :(

Oh yeah, and I don't believe our owner can even name the starting 5 :'(

Kris P Lettus
01-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Wow! No one has mentioned the New Orleans Saints. In over 35 years, they have only won one playoff game. This team has a curse. Never turn off a Saints game while they're up. That is no guarantee that they'll win. Tom Benson is the Donald Sterling of the NFL. He has let countless star players leave only to shine on other teams. Look at Jake Delhomme. Saints fans can't forget the "Dome Patrol", which was probably the greatest linebacking corps in the history of the NFL. Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Vaughan Johnson and Sam Mills. How many teams can send their entire linebacking corps to the Pro Bowl and still not be able to win a playoff game? They started the season 7-2 last season and didn't make the playoffs. They cannot win in December. They have the talent to win, but they just seem to **** it up every time.

:wavesad:

The Flour de Leis means "serinity of mind, body and soul".. It was tattooed on French convicts that were gonna be put to death.. Aint that some shi</>t??

We've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for 40+ years...

:(

p.s.it's gonna make it that much better when we finally win a Super Bowl..

*posts sig*

Who Dat?!?