PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Soldiers

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 09:52 PM
The one with Joaquin Phoenix, not the one with Danny Glover and all the black fellows.

I saw it during the week. Pretty funny. It's about an American soldier who deals heroin and various other things, set in Germany in 1989, around the time the Berlin Wall came down.

Most of the soldiers on the base are off their tits on drugs or stupid. Crazy things happen.

loopydate
07-17-2004, 10:01 PM
I really wanted to see that when it was in theaters, but it wasn't playing on a single screen in the state of Michigan. I would have had to drive five hours to Chicago to see it.

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Did it get withdrawn from American cinemas or something? I was just looking at the imdb page for it, and it has 2001 as a release date, but I'm sure I only heard about it coming out last year.

**Apparently it got shelved originally because of 9/11. Crazy.

loopydate
07-17-2004, 10:07 PM
I don't know. I just remember writing to my local theater about it and getting back a response that basically said "Nobody wants to see this, so we're not getting it."

I remember it got held back from release in 2001 because the U.S. didn't want anything coming out that a) even mentioned that there were ever World Trade Center towers, b) contained the word "terrorism" or any permutation thereof, or c) made the government or military look less-than-heroic.

I know it had a limited release early this year, but I don't know if there was another one between then and 2001 or not.

I didn't see it at Hollywood Video when I was there the other day. Is it on video, or did you see it at a theater?

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 10:08 PM
I got it out on DVD. I'm in Ireland, though.

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 10:09 PM
The reviews on imdb are pretty funny. People complain about it being unrealistic or how much of an asshole the lead character is. That is what makes it so funny.