PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone Magazine Top 500 Albums List

Head
12-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Yeh, so I picked up Rolling Stone Magazine today, and they have a huge feature, in which they list what they think the top 500 albums of all time are. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Clubs Band by the Beatles got #1.

All in all, I would say it is a pretty decent list, but they neglected to add a lot of good punk music from the last few years. Definatly think they could have added some Blink, NOFX, ect. to it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2164

asphyXy
12-08-2003, 11:18 PM
<font color=969696>The list sucks.

17. Nevermind, Nirvana = Ranking misplacement.</font>

Kane Knight
12-08-2003, 11:31 PM
All in all, I would say it is a pretty decent list, but they neglected to add a lot of good punk music from the last few years. Definatly think they could have added some Blink, NOFX, ect. to it.

Well, if they wanted to clinch it as a shitlist...

Supreme Olajuwon
12-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Well they do have the Clash, Ramones, and Sex Pistols in the top 50 so I doubt they're neglecting punk

Anyways I never really pay attention when people put lists out because too many people try to pass off opinion as fact nowadays

razorblade kisses
12-09-2003, 06:41 AM
167. Master of Puppets, Metallica

I dunno, I probably would have placed this album higher personally. Apart from that its a reasonable list.

The Destroyer
12-09-2003, 08:00 AM
I've got 9 out of that 500. Guess my taste sucks. :p

Makes it a little hard to comment on the list. Odd that someone like Rage Against the Machine had two albums on it, though...

Rammsteinmad
12-09-2003, 08:05 AM
:o

Kane Knight
12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Well they do have the Clash, Ramones, and Sex Pistols in the top 50 so I doubt they're neglecting punk

That's not what he's talking about. He doesn't want Punk, he wants Blink and company.

Pete
12-09-2003, 12:24 PM
meh. lists like that always piss people off

Kane Knight
12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
I've got 9 out of that 500. Guess my taste sucks. :p

Makes it a little hard to comment on the list. Odd that someone like Rage Against the Machine had two albums on it, though...

Especially since so much of the list seem like safe choices.

I have 27 out of the first page alone. Some of these records are essentials, others are pretty good albums, blah blah blah.

I object on principle to any list that uses Greatest Hits albums. Period.

DegenerationY
12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
It wouldn't make sense to have Blink and NOFX on there. While they may be popular for a while, they are in no way influential to any other band.

I think that's what they were trying to convey with the list...

da_king
12-09-2003, 08:20 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

yeah i mean if you look at , a lot of it is stuff that was released ages ago so it's kind of stood the test of time as well as different generations of music listeners. i'd be pretty disapointed if there was a lot or rescent stuff ranked up high just cause it must be hard to be original considering the amount that went before as well as no proof of staying power. i would probably take a list by rolling stone magazine more serious then most other lists that float around and a lot of names they mention early on is stuff a lot of casual people would mention if you asked them to rank what they thought were the best albums ever, at least in random discussions i've had.
</font>

road doggy dogg
12-09-2003, 09:07 PM
That's not what he's talking about. He doesn't want Punk, he wants Blink and company.

lol let it go

asphyXy
12-09-2003, 09:10 PM
<font color=969696>Was Death's "Leprosy" on there?</font>

DaveWadding
12-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Why should he let it go? Blink 182 do NOT belong ANYWHERE near a Top 500 ALL-Time Albums list.

el fregadero
12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
<font color=teal>I've got 19 of them.</font>

DaveWadding
12-09-2003, 10:10 PM
I have 16. INCLUDING Elvis' s/t on a 1st run vinyl :cool:

Kane Knight
12-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Why should he let it go? Blink 182 do NOT belong ANYWHERE near a Top 500 ALL-Time Albums list.

I dared to say that Blink wasn't punk. Obviously, it's a high crime.

DaveWadding
12-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Blink is punk..by the new definition..but new doesn't always mean good..does it?

Kane Knight
12-10-2003, 12:58 AM
Blink is punk..by the new definition

By some people's new definition.

DaveWadding
12-10-2003, 01:00 AM
True..this is all individually subjective.

Silent
12-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Stop ruining every thread with your bitching about Blink 182 and "punk" bands.

Silent
12-10-2003, 01:24 AM
Actually stop ruining threads period.

The Destroyer
12-10-2003, 05:26 AM
<font color=969696>Was Death's "Leprosy" on there?</font>
There was virtually no metal on there at all. All I remember seeing was Master of Puppets and the Black Album by Metallica and a few Sabbath albums. And a mainstream music magazine is hardly going to stick anything much less popular on there, are they? :p

Kane Knight
12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Stop ruining every thread with your bitching about Blink 182 and "punk" bands.

God, you're such a crybaby.

And a fickle one at that.

fonzy
12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
It wouldn't make sense to have Blink and NOFX on there. While they may be popular for a while, they are in no way influential to any other band.

I think that's what they were trying to convey with the list...
<center><font color="#0080FF" face="Arial" Size="2">what the hell

blink and nofx have influenced a load of bands

nofx influenced blink, for a start...</font>

Silent
12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
God, you're such a crybaby.

And a fickle one at that.

Um, ok?

Funny coming from the guy who does next to nothing on this board but whine about bands he hates.

Kane Knight
12-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Um, ok?

Funny coming from the guy who does next to nothing on this board but whine about bands he hates.

I see what you just did.

It's called lying. Keep it up. Keep telling me I do nothing but bitch about bands I don't like. I kinda have thousands of posts not involving bands I don't like, but if you want to be such a crbaby you have to lie to have something to cry about, then go for it. Bawl your fickle little eyes out. I hope you can live your lie thoroughly enough to find comfort in it, you waste of space.

Funny how fast you go from sucking someone's cock to complaining about how "all they do is whine about bands they hate."

Cry some more.

Go on. Lie, and cry, and then go to your little pussy buddies to kiss it better. If that's all that you can be, you'll be a waste of time.

MVP
12-10-2003, 09:51 PM
66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin

Ranking misplacement, chief.

Silent
12-11-2003, 01:10 PM
I see what you just did.

It's called lying. Keep it up. Keep telling me I do nothing but bitch about bands I don't like. I kinda have thousands of posts not involving bands I don't like, but if you want to be such a crbaby you have to lie to have something to cry about, then go for it. Bawl your fickle little eyes out. I hope you can live your lie thoroughly enough to find comfort in it, you waste of space.

Funny how fast you go from sucking someone's cock to complaining about how "all they do is whine about bands they hate."

Cry some more.

Go on. Lie, and cry, and then go to your little pussy buddies to kiss it better. If that's all that you can be, you'll be a waste of time.

That was a great post.

Oops, look at that. I lied again. :nono:

Anyway, could you rewrite that? All of the tears in my eyes (from me crying LOL!) are compromising my vision!!

DegenerationY
12-11-2003, 01:19 PM
<center><font color="#0080FF" face="Arial" Size="2">what the hell

blink and nofx have influenced a load of bands

nofx influenced blink, for a start...</font>

Maybe it's because I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that genre.

It's probably not my place to say they haven't influenced any bands - you would know better than me, anyway :o

KleptoKlown
12-11-2003, 02:12 PM
****ing beatles

Just looking at the top 5 and I can already tell that list is shit.

KleptoKlown
12-11-2003, 02:13 PM
42. The Doors, The Doors

should be higher IMO

KleptoKlown
12-11-2003, 02:14 PM
61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses

fsafjklhsjkl **** that, no way that should be higher than master of puppets

KleptoKlown
12-11-2003, 02:20 PM
CCR should be higher.

Sabbath should be higher.

Sweet that Beastie Boys made the list, a lot of people dont realize the influence they've had.

T-Rex made the list :cool:

first Queen entrance I noticed was at 230 - thats bullshit.

i dont want to read the rest of that list.

Silent
12-11-2003, 02:20 PM
I still can't believe Nirvana got in the top 20, and Iron Maiden wasn't even on the list.

road doggy dogg
12-11-2003, 02:25 PM

K gimme your top 500 sans Blink 182 list then

Head
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I object on principle to any list that uses Greatest Hits albums. Period.
Agreed. Thats really annoying. Of course if you take all of a bands best songs and put them on a one album, its gonna be better than an most origional albums.

da_king
12-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Agreed. Thats really annoying. Of course if you take all of a bands best songs and put them on a one album, its gonna be better than an most origional albums.

<font color="#ccffcc">

agreed. also original albums have a certain "feel" about where a band is at a particular point of time and the songs are kind of there together for a reason, i think. greatest hits are too disjointed and it's kind of like cheating to use those to make lists such as these.
</font>

samichna
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Shitty list.

Fabien Barthez
12-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Its a closed minded list, It wasnt even a vote, so who cares what a few magazine writers think are the best albums of all time? They did their upmost to neglect anything from the last 5 years and that hasn't gone triple platinum in the US. What a hunk of crap