PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Weakness On RAW Announce Team

James Steele
07-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Who is the bigger weakness on the RAW announce team? J.R. or King?

***Poll Coming***

IMO, Lawler is. He is so damn stale. J.R. still talks about the match every once in awhile. Lawler goes off somewhere about HHH and tits and Evolution.

Fryza
07-20-2004, 02:34 PM
King's the color commentator, so he just rambles about whatever. JR, on the other hand, I'm afraid will somehow give me rabies one of these days..

Mayo
07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Fuck, this one is hard to decide. JR is just really stupid sometimes when he tries to sway the audience (BAHGAWDSTUNNERSONOFABITCHGOVERNMENTMULEBBQSAUCE), and the King acts like a 13 year old boy much of the time. I'll have to go with JR.

Sephiroth
07-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I have to go with JR...BAHWGAWDSTUNNER! :shifty:

Heyman
07-20-2004, 02:39 PM
My Opinion? Jerry Lawler is a SIGNIFICANT weakness for the announce team.

1999 called Lawler, and they want their unfunny 'puppy!' references back. I really can't stand Lawler much anymore. I do not enjoy his whole "I'm a horny and dirty old man" gimmick. Furthermore - I don't think he's all that funny.

As far as Jim Ross is concerned, I still think he's one of the best. He gets heat for being gay and misprouncing names at times (along with using repetitive catchphrases, and showing too much bias towards certain faces at times), but I still think the guy is great. JR shows a lot of enthusiasm (and it doesn't seem "fake" like Michael Cole).

Personally? I think Jim Ross and Paul Heyman made an AWESOME combination with one another. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that Heyman and JR genuinely didn't like one another (and so the "contrast" made for entertaining conversation). Check out their Survivor Series 2001 one stuff. Simply amazing. Heyman, in my opinion, is the greatest color commentator of all-time (Heenan was a close second).

Heyman
07-20-2004, 02:40 PM
p.s. Anyone who voted for JR (being a 'bigger weakness' to the commentating team than Lawler) is a moron. :yes:

tucsonspeed6
07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
When each member was replaced with Heyman, the quality got better each time, however I feel that the Heyman/JR team was far more entertaining. King does have entertaining qualities, but I just feel that when he's replaced, the shows are far better than when JR is replaced.

The Ravishing One
07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
I think Lawler is lame. He doesn't tell jokes anymore, it was him that replaced Heenan. Also he agrees with JR, i prefered it when they argue i.e. Monsoon and Heenan.

Heyman
07-20-2004, 02:44 PM
King does have entertaining qualities

COME SIT BY ME STACY! I'D STAND UP RIGHT NOW BUT I CAN'T!

Yeah - you're right. King DOES have some entertaining qualities.

Please note the obvious sarcasm. :yes: :)

Tornado
07-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Lawler. Lawler by FAR.

The CyNick
07-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah its Lawler. JR is anly really annoying when he's having an orgasm over Austin, aside from that he's usually pretty good.

I agree with what Heyman was saying, JR was much better with, well Heyman.

Tiken
07-20-2004, 03:25 PM
I cant say, I dont think they're any real flaws in the announcing team, except that Lawyler is to horny and predictable sometimes. Sure Lawyler can be annoying sometimes but for the past what 8 years or so we have goten used to Lawyler and his gimmick and I have never really hated it, why should I hate it now, and besides Lawyler when he is allowed to be can be a great commentator.

James Steele
07-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Tiken, i'd suggest to revise that post and edit some "minor flaws" :nono:

Stickman
07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
I think they both suck. Lawler is a dirty old man but it's great when JR tells him that and it makes King look like a dick. However, JR is shit too. Totally biased, worn out terms and pretty much whatever's been said already. However, they currently are the best, which is sad. Where's Jesse Ventura when you need him?

I'd like to see Raw go back to a Three man team, with Eric Bishoff or Paul Heyman. Hell, Vince McMahon woudln't be too bad either. They just need something to spice it up.

LK
07-20-2004, 03:54 PM
JR just really annoys me most of the time and so I will have to say that he is the weakness.

Volchok
07-20-2004, 05:36 PM
heel hbk when he used to announce somtimes.. that was the best with JR. and Vince...

Londoner
07-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Ill'd definately say Lawler pisses me off the most, but damn it's still tough to decide. Ill'd have to go with which one ill'd least miss which would be Lawler, though i missed him being there when he was gone for a while when Heyman took his spot, i wish now he was gone for good. I think it had something to do with me being a mark back then and completly fucking hated Heyman, funny how things change.

My Final Heaven
07-20-2004, 05:46 PM
I HATE the King with a #$%@@ PASSION.

When Jesse "The Body" stuck up for the heel, it was a helluva lot of fun to listen to.
When Bobby Heenan stuck up for the heel, it was a helluva lot of fun to listen to.
When Jerry Lawler sticks up for the heel, it sounds like a cat being shoved into an outboard motor.

I don't know if anybody else's noticed, but he gives away the finish to 99% of the matches he calls:

If the heel is going to win, he SCREAMS into the mic at one random point in the match: "THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL, JR!"

If the face is going to win, he SCREAMS into the mic at one random point in the match: "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING, JR!"

Yeah, King, like we, the fans, believe that JR's just gonna jump in the ring & clobber Benoit 'cause he's making Kane tap out to the crossface. We're stupid, but we're not that stupid. :mad::foc::rant: [/RANT]

The One
07-20-2004, 05:51 PM
JR...just cause I hate that jesibell and Upstanding Young Lady are interchangable through the weeks...

Also go watch WrestleMania X-8 and listen to how JR rips into Booker T for being a criminal, then listen to WrestleMania XIX and hear him praise Booker T for being a rolemodle who only made a few mistakes in his life.

Mr. Nerfect
07-20-2004, 05:52 PM
I voted Lawler. I don't want him gone from the booth, but I do want to see him become the arrogant, cocky, self-centred commentator he was. He needs to lose the puppies talk, too.

Evil Vito
07-20-2004, 06:00 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Lawler</font>

Loose Cannon
07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
My Opinion? Jerry Lawler is a SIGNIFICANT weakness for the announce team.

1999 called Lawler, and they want their unfunny 'puppy!' references back. I really can't stand Lawler much anymore. I do not enjoy his whole "I'm a horny and dirty old man" gimmick. Furthermore - I don't think he's all that funny.

As far as Jim Ross is concerned, I still think he's one of the best. He gets heat for being gay and misprouncing names at times (along with using repetitive catchphrases, and showing too much bias towards certain faces at times), but I still think the guy is great. JR shows a lot of enthusiasm (and it doesn't seem "fake" like Michael Cole).

Personally? I think Jim Ross and Paul Heyman made an AWESOME combination with one another. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that Heyman and JR genuinely didn't like one another (and so the "contrast" made for entertaining conversation). Check out their Survivor Series 2001 one stuff. Simply amazing. Heyman, in my opinion, is the greatest color commentator of all-time (Heenan was a close second).

Yeah, Same exact feelings. I despise Lawler

V
07-20-2004, 06:14 PM
lawler, as much as everyone makes fun of JR, he's really not that bad, micheal cole puts no enthusiasm into it, it's almost as bad as when kevin nash said "he's got a gun!" in monotone when austin had a gun, cole makes it seem like it's all been set, while with JR, you actually think he's pissed off at whats' happening, or glad something has happend, and all lawler talks about are puppies, stupid old man, shut the fuck up and die

The One
07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
I think Cole and Tazz mop the floor with JR and Lawler recently.

Xero
07-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Damn, I meant to vote for Lawler but picked JR instead :-\

Anyway, Lawler is I'd say...

TheDiva
07-20-2004, 08:08 PM
I think Cole and Tazz mop the floor with JR and Lawler recently.

:y: Word.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I find Lawler worst than JR. Sometimes they both make me want to rip my ears off. At least Tazz makes me laugh, sometimes.

JR & Heyman were a great team, I'd love to see them together again. Anything would be better than 'Puppies!' every two seconds. :yes:

RemyRed
07-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Lawler, I can't stand him and his homo-erotic Randy Orton comments...he deserves to be killed.

Funky Fly
07-20-2004, 08:22 PM
The both suck, but JR's current "botch the name" gimmick along with what One and CyNick said tend to piss me off more than King. Lately King's had his brief moments brilliance beofre going back to suckitude.

Outsider
07-20-2004, 08:27 PM
I hate King, just for the fact during the 2001 election campaign, he consitantly slagged off Al Gore. It is not a wrestling commentators place to be politically baised, especially when the WWF was doing a non-partisan campain to get people to vote.

Heyman was a great colour commentator, also because he managed to come out with the kind of facts and statistics relating to the wrestlers past (One a lot of people from ECW and WCW came over this was particuarly good) meanwhile all JR and the King talk about is the big stars.

King is also a fairly weak colour commentator, he isn't a heel, he is a face who just supports the heels. Heyman was a heel himself and made it believable that he wanted them to win

.44 Magdalene
07-20-2004, 09:24 PM
I can drown out Lawler to a certain extent. His voice is unique, but not overly banshee-like. Not in the way Ross's is. Lawler, I'll sometimes forget is even there. I don't have this deafening BAH GAWD THOSE VICIOUS CHOPS blaring from Lawler.

But I guess I'm biased because I'm from Oklahoma. Yeah. I know of a grand three things that actually came from Oklahoma.

Jim Ross.
The Oklahoma Slam.
And Oklahoma himself.

Holy shit. What an amazing plethora of Oklahoma-based wrestling devices. Watch out, Canada. Oklahoma's climbing the ladder. I mean, even if NOTHING came from Oklahoma, I'd be happy. Instead, what few popular elements that actually come from Oklahoma are blatantly hillbilly. On a funny note, though, I have a friend named Patrick Raust who looks almost exactly like Jim Ross, complete with potato-shaped body, saggy cheeks and squared off glasses. And his name is Pat Raust. COME ON. What are the chances? It's like we're homegrowing fat rednecks to replace Jim Ross when he dies. Maybe nobody'll notice the switch. I wish I had a pic to post here.

Joe Kerr
07-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Deffinatly king. Jim Ross is obviously the smarter half of the team. occasionaly Jim Ross does make a wrong call but everyone makes mistakes. jerry Lawler shouldnt be called "The King" anymore that gimmick is long dead. I agree that Heyman and Ross were a great team. it drew the line of a face and a heel commentator which both Raw and Smackdown are lacking.

loopydate
07-20-2004, 09:34 PM
I hate King, just for the fact during the 2001 election campaign, he consitantly slagged off Al Gore. It is not a wrestling commentators place to be politically baised, especially when the WWF was doing a non-partisan campain to get people to vote.
Yeah, but JR's doing the same thing now.

What, exactly, is a French Sympathizer? And the way JR marked out for Steiner during his "debate" with Chris Nowinski... Horrible. Just horrible. This guy is one of the reasons people think Republicans are ignorant.

I voted for JR for the following reasons:

1) Hypocrisy. He cheers for his favorites, but takes King to task for cheering for his.

2) His voice makes me want to jab a pen into my ear until I feel resistance.

3) He doesn't know the names of moves...and he's the fucking PBP man!

4) He's been using the same catchphrases for more than a half-decade and hasn't come up with a new one in at least two years.

5) Did I mention his voice makes me want to hurt myself?

6) He used to write a very informative online wrestling column, but now seems content to hang out aboard the "We Hate The Internet" bandwagon.

7) His voice.

MVP
07-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Both, but JR carries more of the weight because he thinks that a shot to the solar plexus is enough to rip somebody in half BAH GAWD![/cliche]

OpusCroakus1
07-21-2004, 01:01 AM
I HATE the King with a #$%@@ PASSION.

When Jesse "The Body" stuck up for the heel, it was a helluva lot of fun to listen to.
When Bobby Heenan stuck up for the heel, it was a helluva lot of fun to listen to.
When Jerry Lawler sticks up for the heel, it sounds like a cat being shoved into an outboard motor.

I agree with this 100%...

Jerry Lawler comes up with the lamest reasons to back up a heel, and it's really annoying to listen to.

Jesse Ventura (my favorite heel announcer) came up with serious and logical arguments to back up his favorite heel wrestlers. He was always a joy to listen to.

I actually liked when Jim Ross teamed up with Tazz to call the 2004 Royal Rumble.... that was a good decision, in my opinion.

On one final note...... If I could make a suggestion to the WWF about their DVD's, it would be for them to inculde an audio feature that cuts out the commentators voices and lets you just listen to the sounds of the match and the crowd.

FourFifty
07-21-2004, 01:38 AM
<font color=cyan>Albeit I make fun of JR more... I'm gonna have to say Jerry on this one. It's cool to have a former wrestler as the color man, but he makes wrestling look... how to say.... I don't like how he talks about women all the time. From time to time it's cool, and it's funny. I know it's his gimmick (or I think I know), and it sucks. If Jerry could cut back on talking about how hot the divas are, rip into some of the wrestlers more (like Ventura), then I'd say JR is the weakness.
Now if JR could learn some more oves, only say "BAG GAWD" on high spots, save "broken in half" for once every other week, and have him argue with The King a bit more, then I'd say perfection.

But for some reason I just don't like the SD team, so JR and The King could ninja whip Tazz and Cole anyday. Cole can't all a match, and Tazz is kinda boring to listen to when you really wanna see him in the ring..

RGWhat316
07-21-2004, 01:55 AM
I pick King as well. Gawking at women is fine, but when you are in your 50's orgasming over women in their 20's it can get really annoying. But when both King and JR are on the same page, I think they do really well. And this maybe just my opinion, but it doesn't always seem like RAW without JR and King together.

Edge
07-21-2004, 01:58 AM
Now this is hard right here. They both have their annoying qualitys with Jim Ross it's turn the t.v down with King it's turn the t.v off. I like how Ross calls the action but screaming out "BAH GAWD" will get him no where. I like King's humour but sometimes he just goes to far now and again with the divas and the heels. I will have to say King. J.R isn't that bad really but Jerry just slacks and dosen't even bother to call the action. But anyway I proberley would not be able to watch wrestleing with out some sort of commentary so they'll do for now.