PDA

View Full Version : Major Hulk Hogan/WWE Update, Big Lawsuit; & More

Thriller
07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Credit for the following goes to PWInsider.com:

WWE recently filed a lawsuit against Marvel Comics so that they could maintain the rights to the "Hulk Hogan" name as they launch their WWE 24/7 Video On Demand service.

Bloomberg Newswire ran an article today in which Marvel claims that WWE's rights to the name expired this month, though WWE claims that they own the rights until March of 2005.

Without the Hogan name, WWE cannot market and distribute the WWF, WCW, and WWE matches that they want to use as part of the WWE 24/7 service.

WWE had originally licensed the rights from Marvel Comics back in 1985 when the company came forward saying that Hogan's ring name was infringing on the rights of the "Incredible Hulk" character, which was created by Stan Lee back in the 1960's.

The original agreement between the two sides covered the names "Hulk Hogan", "The Hulkster", and "Hulkamania."

One of the main reasons why WCW often pushed the "Hollywood" Hogan name rather than "Hulk Hogan" was due to the legalities of the actual Hulk Hogan name.

Funky Fly
07-20-2004, 04:31 PM
I see. Well, you reap what you sow and I can't feel sorry for WWE, especially since I'm not a huge Hogan fan.

The One
07-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Hmmm...don't much care about WWE troubles, don't much care for Hogan, don't much care for comic books...

Why am I replying again :D

Rob
07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Marvel invented the name so it's there's. WWE paid them for years for it. It's a lost cause. Another classic example of contracts meaning something when Vince thinks he can get something on them but they mean nothing when he decides he doesn't like them anymore.

The Ravishing One
07-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Its the whole WWF thing again.

Mayo
07-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Well Hogan hulking up could be paralleled to The Incredible Hulk getting angry, so Marvel should definitely sue :shifty:

Vince should just pay the fuckers and get on with it.

The One
07-20-2004, 05:41 PM
I still think Hogan should have wrestled under the name Thunder Lips :shifty:

The Mackem
07-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Ah so does this mean another round of video editting?

The One
07-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Ah so does this mean another round of video editting?

Ladies and Gentlemen! Please Welcome to the ring, the 9th WWE Heavyweight Champion of the World... Terry Bollea

James Steele
07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Thats what pisses me off,

The wildlife fund can at least quit sucking a panda's dick long enough just to let them use the old logo and shit in their videos. It is so fucking stupid that they have to blur the WWF logo and bleep the word WWF.

Like anybody (even the poor children the Wildlife Fund was worried about) know that WWF Champion doesn't mean the fucking World Wildlife Fund.

Damn tree-hugging bastards....

Pointless rant over!

6to1
07-20-2004, 06:50 PM
I still think Hogan should have wrestled under the name Thunder Lips :shifty:
thunder lips kicked ass

.44 Magdalene
07-20-2004, 09:48 PM
AOL Instant Messenger still has a WWF chat, but not a WWE chat.

This is either testament to the fact that AOL doesn't care about anything they can't make money off of (I.E., the only updates made to AIM and its network are the adding of features that cost the user money)...

Or a testament to the fact that alot of people like pandas.

The One
07-21-2004, 02:06 AM
AOL Instant Messenger still has a WWF chat, but not a WWE chat.

This is either testament to the fact that AOL doesn't care about anything they can't make money off of (I.E., the only updates made to AIM and its network are the adding of features that cost the user money)...

Or a testament to the fact that alot of people like pandas.

Whooooooo! Finally I have a place to bitch about how Panda Saturn is being held down and how The Undertiger is hoging all the time light. I mean seriously Panda Saturn could be a good contender for the Intercontinental Tree....

HankScorpio
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
thunder lips kicked ass

the Ultimate Male in the flesh... Baby.

Batsu
07-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Thats what pisses me off,

The wildlife fund can at least quit sucking a panda's dick long enough just to let them use the old logo and shit in their videos. It is so fucking stupid that they have to blur the WWF logo and bleep the word WWF.

Like anybody (even the poor children the Wildlife Fund was worried about) know that WWF Champion doesn't mean the fucking World Wildlife Fund.

Damn tree-hugging bastards....

Pointless rant over!

This pisses me off, as well. F the Fund, really. The reason why is simple: You can NOT revise history. A lot of people know that World Wrestling Entertainment was once the World Wrestling Federation. WWE has explained the name change, but there should be no reason to rewrite history. The Fund needs to ease off their hold on 3 stinkin' letters.

Kane Knight
07-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Marvel invented the name so it's there's. WWE paid them for years for it. It's a lost cause. Another classic example of contracts meaning something when Vince thinks he can get something on them but they mean nothing when he decides he doesn't like them anymore.
Well put.

Kane Knight
07-22-2004, 04:28 AM
This pisses me off, as well. F the Fund, really. The reason why is simple: You can NOT revise history. A lot of people know that World Wrestling Entertainment was once the World Wrestling Federation. WWE has explained the name change, but there should be no reason to rewrite history. The Fund needs to ease off their hold on 3 stinkin' letters.
Well, if it's such a trivial thing for them to want to hold onto it, why isn't it trivial for the WWE to let go of it?