PDA

View Full Version : Rules Inconsistant?

Iceman90
07-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Why is it that when wrestlers slam each other into the ringsteps, ringposts or even the guard rails it is allowed, but when a chair is used, the wrestler gets DQed?

What is the logic behind it?

I mean, when the "rules" were developed, what genius thought of this?

I just noticed this after the Ironman Match, when the wrestlers used ringsteps, and no DQ was given.

Watson
07-27-2004, 04:10 AM
The only explanation I can think of is the posts and steps are part of the ring so throwing an opponent into them is really no different than throwing them into the turnbuckle or slaming there head onto the ring apron. The only difference is the posts and steps are metal. Are for the guardrails they are part of the set also so technically they aren't considered weapons. Also, the wrestlers are always thrown into the guardrails and ringposts but with a chair it has to be swung by the other wrestler and I guess that makes it qualify as more of a weapon than the post, steps, or guardrails. BUt then again, some wrestlers pick up the ringsteps and swing them at their opponent, I think at that point the teps should be considered as weapons. So that's the best explanation I can think of. ::waits for KayfabeMan to post a better one::

Iceman90
07-28-2004, 06:04 AM
I am also awaiting KayfabeMan

Corkscrewed
07-28-2004, 01:04 PM
It depends on what's being offensive. If the wrestler is thrown into the steps or guardrail, those things aren't really being used in an active offensive manner. The same thing occurs when a wrestler throws another into a chair placed in the corner, or kicks a chair into another guy's face. If you "run into" a "weapon" it's okay, but if you swing it, it's not.

The only realy exception to this are tables, but you rarely see people use a table to get DQ'ed anyway.

Dave Youell
07-28-2004, 04:51 PM
I can't remember seeing someone getting DQ'd for using a chiar outside of the ring. Maybe that's it, if it's inside that's bad but if it's outside that's good

Kane Knight
07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
People sometimes are "immune" to things outside the ring. Other times, t hey've been DQ'ed for their ilegal actions outside the ring.

Also, it used to be that DDTing someone onto a chair in the middle of the ring wasn't actually a DQ offense. Basically, it's an inconsistency period,

Mr. Nerfect
07-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I think it is probably something along the lines of the announce table, ring steps, barricade, etc. are all part of the ring/arena, so throwing them into the ring is just like slamming them into the mat. Weapons introduced from under the ring, tights, etc. or that have been banned previously are illegal, thus a DQ. I think introducing a weapon would be considered "illegal" (which explains Michael Cole's spasms), but using it indirectly (Van Daminator, DDT, etc.) is legal. I would assume bring a chair in to DDT your opponent on is illegal, but DDTing them when it has been brought in by the opposing party it is legal. :?:

Kane Knight
07-30-2004, 11:21 PM
I think it is probably something along the lines of the announce table, ring steps, barricade, etc. are all part of the ring/arena, so throwing them into the ring is just like slamming them into the mat. Weapons introduced from under the ring, tights, etc. or that have been banned previously are illegal, thus a DQ. I think introducing a weapon would be considered "illegal" (which explains Michael Cole's spasms), but using it indirectly (Van Daminator, DDT, etc.) is legal. I would assume bring a chair in to DDT your opponent on is illegal, but DDTing them when it has been brought in by the opposing party it is legal. :?:
Even in that, they're not consistent. Let's face it, kids. The WWE is not in the business of continuity. These are some of the SMALLER complaints one could have in the grand scheme of things. They're in the business of telling a soap opera,.

Mr. Nerfect
07-31-2004, 02:25 AM
Even in that, they're not consistent. Let's face it, kids. The WWE is not in the business of continuity. These are some of the SMALLER complaints one could have in the grand scheme of things. They're in the business of telling a soap opera,.

Exactly. I hate the way on SmackDown! Torrie Wilson and Dawn Marie stand in the same room complimenting each other, dispite Dawn "killing" Torrie's father. :mad:

Xero
07-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Exactly. I hate the way on SmackDown! Torrie Wilson and Dawn Marie stand in the same room complimenting each other, dispite Dawn "killing" Torrie's father. :mad:
We forgot that, remember? (Or atleast thats what WWE thinks)

:shifty:

Cruiserweight 3:16
07-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Does it really matter if the WWE are inconsistent with the rules??? If you were a mark watching the programmes then yeah I can understand why it would be a problem - I just think that their stories being inconsistent is a greater problem.

Besides, if the WWE were being consistent with the rules then it would makes things rather predictable and more boring - a bit of leniancy makes it more interesting.

Kane Knight
08-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Come now. Torie's father wasn't on Smackdown. :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
08-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Come now. Torie's father wasn't on Smackdown. :shifty:

Neither was Stephanie McMahon. :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
08-01-2004, 09:31 AM
I for one would like to see some referee traits pop up. In most other sports, the referee adds to the game. Some refs have different "habbits" if you will. I'd like to see some of this encorporated into WWE. Like maybe even if it's just Brian Hebner counting out wrestlers at a faster pace than say Earl Hebner.

Kane Knight
08-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I for one would like to see some referee traits pop up. In most other sports, the referee adds to the game. Some refs have different "habbits" if you will. I'd like to see some of this encorporated into WWE. Like maybe even if it's just Brian Hebner counting out wrestlers at a faster pace than say Earl Hebner.
We've already established their inability to keep consistency.

If they can't keep any of these things constant, how can we expect them to keep subtle nuances like ref prefs in line?

natureboycv
08-02-2004, 04:16 PM
We've already established their inability to keep consistency.

If they can't keep any of these things constant, how can we expect them to keep subtle nuances like ref prefs in line?
<font color=8307ff><b>We also know that even if you barely hit a referee, it knocks them down for at least a minute, but they wake up just in time to count a pinfall.</font></b>

Kane Knight
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, you have to actually have a pin occur first...

BigDaddyCool
08-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Um....it is wrestling, and it is fake. So the rules are always changing for the match.

But what I hate is when a cage match is won by tap out or pin fall.

Gerard
08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Well the kick to the balls is a dq move, but an inverted atomic drop (knee to the balls) isn't..I dunno if you sit and think about the "rules" of wrestling they don;t really make a lot of sense. In royal rumbles especially, one year savio vega flipped out of the ring with that heelkick to the turnbuckle he used to do and he was disqualified. The year before ahmed johnson jumped over the top rope to go after someone and the commentators were blabbing on about "someone has to throw you out, you can't eliminate yourself".

Theyre extremly inconsistent and theyre just changed to suit the situation all the time.

ColdwaVer
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Sh</>it I remember when breaking up a pin for your tag partner would have been a DQ.

Iceman90
08-07-2004, 06:22 AM

I have always wanted to see a "take no shit" referee. Maybe a former referee who is now a wrestler.

They all know when someone jumps on the apron, it is to make the referee not see the ring.

A ref who would ignore the distractions would be interesting. OR, a referee aligned with a faction (i.e. Evolution).

Iceman90
08-07-2004, 06:24 AM
See, I hate how they change to meet thr situation.

Yes, wrestling is "fake", but it should still have a set of rules. The bookers can work around the rules, not visa verca.

It would make wrestling more interesting.

Stickman
08-07-2004, 02:16 PM
The rule that bothers me the most is when the wrestlers are outside for like 2 minutes and the ref is only at the 8 count.

Iceman90
08-08-2004, 04:05 AM
The rule that bothers me the most is when the wrestlers are outside for like 2 minutes and the ref is only at the 8 count.

Agreed. Sometimes they don't even count!

Do they forget how to count to 10 some weeks, and remember others?

Volchok
08-10-2004, 03:16 PM
yeah sometimes the ref follows the wrestlers outside of the ring instead of counting...

Chavo Classic
08-17-2004, 08:28 PM
The only explanation I can think of is the posts and steps are part of the ring so throwing an opponent into them is really no different than throwing them into the turnbuckle or slaming there head onto the ring apron. The only difference is the posts and steps are metal. Are for the guardrails they are part of the set also so technically they aren't considered weapons. Also, the wrestlers are always thrown into the guardrails and ringposts but with a chair it has to be swung by the other wrestler and I guess that makes it qualify as more of a weapon than the post, steps, or guardrails. BUt then again, some wrestlers pick up the ringsteps and swing them at their opponent, I think at that point the teps should be considered as weapons. So that's the best explanation I can think of. ::waits for KayfabeMan to post a better one::

I think it's when the objects are an extension of the hand/arm. Swinging a chair is different from thrown into steps because the chair is an illegal extesnion, just like if you put your football boot on your hand, and punched the ball, it would still qualify as a hand-ball.

Mr. JL
08-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Look at it the way you look at the "professional sports" like hockey or football. The rules are always changing from year to year. Like in the NHL when they had that stupid when your in the crease (sp?) and your teams scores then the goal is disallowed rule. Then they changed the rule back.

Plus the WWE throws common sense and consistency out the window...

Just look at their current story lines
Eugene!
Diva Contests!!
Pregnancy angles!!!
and somewhere in between that was Benoit's title reign

Quick1
08-18-2004, 01:42 AM
They say refs can't reverse the win but they do some times.