PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit DVD

Bo
07-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Well I picked it up and I must say its awesome. For me I personally like the matches are the best part of it. Many memories. I myself is not a Benoit mark but its must have for any fan. One of the the WWE imprints that I have noticed is that all of his matches have his first entrace theme for the WWE. And if I have been to lazy to look for a topic already about this sorry.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2004, 10:25 AM
So it is out? I read it may be delayed til next week.

Excellentttt

Lara Emily
07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
I'll be picking it up eventually. Though I have like all but mabve one or two matches that are on the DVD plus about another 80 that aren't on the DVD :-D

Batsu
07-28-2004, 09:56 PM
How come they have to overdub Benoit's music?

diamondcutter
07-28-2004, 10:17 PM
One of WWE's best DVDs yet---in terms of non WWE bonus match quality. So far I've watched all but one of his WCW matches, and three of them (GAB '96 vs. Kevin Sullivan, GAB '98 vs. Booker T., and the Owen Hart Tribute match on Nitro in '99) are FULL matches, none of that "bell-to bell" nonsense. His Souled Out '00 title match with Sid starts at the bell, but there's a fairly long post-match celebration, complete with an instant replay. His match with 2 Cold Scorpio at Superbrawl '93 only seems to have Schaivone on commentary.

mrslackalack
07-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Great DVD but no Benoit-Jericho RR 01 ladder match. :'(

mrslackalack
07-28-2004, 10:50 PM
One of WWE's best DVDs yet---in terms of non WWE bonus match quality. So far I've watched all but one of his WCW matches, and three of them (GAB '96 vs. Kevin Sullivan, GAB '98 vs. Booker T., and the Owen Hart Tribute match on Nitro in '99) are FULL matches, none of that "bell-to bell" nonsense. His Souled Out '00 title match with Sid starts at the bell, but there's a fairly long post-match celebration, complete with an instant replay. His match with 2 Cold Scorpio at Superbrawl '93 only seems to have Schaivone on commentary.

If i can Recall the WCW CC with Schavione at the time was Jesse The Body Ventura, He sued both WWF and WCW over not getting royalites for using his voice I know he settled with the WWF for 800,000 dollars but I still have no idea why his voice is not used for the WCW material, as I noticed this on the Stone Cold Truth DVD match between flair and arn vs The hollywood blondes and the Cactus Jack vs Vader match on the Mick Foley DVD.

Lara Emily
07-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Does the Owen Hart tribute match include what ou ended up missing due to commericals?

diamondcutter
07-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Does the Owen Hart tribute match include what ou ended up missing due to commericals?

Nope. But the intros and post match stuff is there.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2004, 12:58 AM
Just bought this earlier tonight. Finally home, gonna go put it in soon.

DaveWadding
07-29-2004, 02:07 AM
I have it ordered from Deep Discount DVD (onlyt cost me 16 bucks ;))

Nowhere Man
07-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Picked it up (and the Foley DVD, finally) yesterday. Haven't watched either all the way through yet, but the matches I've seen are all pure awesomeness.

Boondock Saint
07-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Kicks ass so far

Innovator
07-29-2004, 06:17 PM
watched it, loved it. Makes me like Benoit even more

Shaggy
07-29-2004, 08:32 PM
So do they have him using his WWE music even in his old WCW matches? Thats what im getting from reading some of these replys so far?

Nowhere Man
07-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Watching all of the old matches, I've made a few observations (that don't really have anything to do with anything):

-I don't know if this is common on WWE DVDs, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of the WCW commentary was edited out. During the Scorpio/Benoit Superbrawl match, Schiavone would say a quick blurb, then there'd be this long pause where it seems like Mike Tenay or Bobby Heenan might chime in, but instead it's just silent until Schiavone comes back in, and half the time it's not even relevant.

-Al Snow looks ridiculous with short hair and plain trunks.

-I keep forgetting how awesome of a high-flyer Eddie used to be. He's still awesome, but now he's got a more grounded style. Watching him pull off those awesome-looking 'ranas almost surprises me now.

-During his WCW run, Benoit had the second-greatest mullet in all of wrestling (the greatest belonging to Mike Awesome) Damn, that thing was nice.

-You really ought to listen to the alternate commentaries with Tazz and Cole, if only just to hear them rip on each other. Some of the stuff Tazz says is just GOLD

-Benoit's Lion Tamer > Jericho's

-I can't believe the Great Sasuke never caught on in the States. I mean, people LOVE ninjas, and the stuff he does is practically the same sort of stuff Rey Mysterio and Juvi were making famous just 2 years later. How the hell did the US market miss this guy?

-Benoit/Angle from the '03 Rumble is still the awesome-est match of all time. How many other classic matches feature a guy getting DDT'd onto the ring apron?

-Chris Benoit is still my favorite wrestler in the world today.

Innovator
07-30-2004, 12:42 PM
The thing about Schiavone is thats how he usually sounded...

Batsu
07-31-2004, 06:53 PM
I finally saw this... and it solidifies Benoit as my favorite WWE champ since The Rock, and one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

The core video was a very complete retrospective of Benoit's wrestling career. Let me say that it was incredibly surreal to see high-quality ECW matches (well, as high-quality as ECW gets) with Joey Styles announcing...on a WWE video. Nearly everything that Benoit has done has been covered, surprisingly enough with WWE actually letting Benoit's career marks in other feds shine over his own work in WWE. Even the Kevin Sullivan feud was covered, and while it didn't go into too much detail at the request of Benoit himself, it's nice to see how Benoit's frustration in WCW was covered. His feud with The Rock was covered as well....this, I believe, truly elevated Benoit to the big time, but he had been held down after that. In the old WCW footage and extra matches, it's really WEIRD to see Booker T without his hair....in fact, seeing all these guys who have been in WWE as they were years ago is a plus.

Pros:

1. How complete this video is
2. The EXTRAS!! (lots of non-WWE Benoit star matches are included)
3. THE MULLET (LOL, seeing Benoit with that hair is hilarious)
4. WWE's limited "interference" in telling Benoit's story
5. Interviews with Benoit's family (even his wife, who is scantily featured)
6. The "WWF" blurring/muting is minimal (only the scratch logos are blurred, and Rock saying "WWF" was muted)
7. Seeing Benoit wrestle BRET HART!!
8. The Tazz/Cole commentary on the Japanese matches (Tazz brings a definite insight to the competitors in these matches, and hearing Tazz and Cole face off is hilarious)
9. Getting to see Benoit do moves he isn't allowed to use anymore

The Cons

1. The Benoit/2 Cold Scorpio match only having 1/2 of its commentary
2. Benoit's original WWE theme being dubbed over his WCW entrance music (what was wrong with it?)

As you can see, the cons are definitely minor.

Is it worth the $20-$25? YES. I paid more for VHS with some of these matches, and for those who want to know the hype behind Chris Benoit on the internet...they've just gotta see this to see what it's all about.

If you like pro wrestling as it once was, definitely check out this video. Even the Falls Count Anywhere match with Kevin Sullivan they put on this video is good.

Lara Emily
07-31-2004, 06:58 PM
Benoit's WCW music is not in house, there for the WWE would have to buy the rights to it again.

SuperSlim
07-31-2004, 07:38 PM
bought it yesterday. Watched it yesterday. always been a Benoit fan all those years ago. solidifies it now.

I mean I knew he was awesome back then but man that was some good and interesting stuff. worth the money.

Batsu
07-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Benoit's WCW music is not in house, there for the WWE would have to buy the rights to it again.

So it's like the Hardy Boyz, Molly Holly, and old Jazz themes? I understand now.

Mayo
07-31-2004, 10:15 PM
I picked it up last night, never saw many of his old matches so I can't wait till I have free time this coming week to watch it :D

Mr. Nerfect
07-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Yep, this DVD was awesome. I loved the commentary during the Benoit/Regal match. :y:

The Great Sasuke is the man. I loved the way he just cleared the top rope. I miss the old day of when during a test of strength the "weaker" of the two would be forced into a bridge. I would have loved to have seen Benoit's 200 matches against The Rock and Triple H on the DVD. Some of his ones with Jericho would have been nice too. Overall the DVD bonus features are well worth the buy alone. :y:

BTW, does anyone else notice how novice Todd Grisham sounded, and how refined Tazz sounded? I think Tazz needs to be more like that on SmackDown!, instead of pretending he doesn't know what a belly to belly overhead suplex is.

mrslackalack
07-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Great Susake and Taka had 2 AWESOME matches in WWE in 97 the Canadian Stampede match and the RAW match they were great.

Mr. Nerfect
08-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Did anyone else seem to notice that Eddie Guerrero looked way bigger in Japan?

diamondcutter
08-01-2004, 06:22 AM
I just noticed this watching the Booker/Benoit match: A generic theme is dubbed over Booker's music. Doesn't WWE have the rights to that? Or was that one of the reasons why they're now using his originals theme?

Mr. Nerfect
08-01-2004, 07:12 AM
I just noticed this watching the Booker/Benoit match: A generic theme is dubbed over Booker's music. Doesn't WWE have the rights to that? Or was that one of the reasons why they're now using his originals theme?

I was wondering that too. He's gone back to his original theme on SmackDown! again, but I was wondering if maybe it costs to use it on DVD or something. Then it occured to me it might've been his theme music at the time. :?:

Lara Emily
08-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Booker's theme is also production. So they'd have to pay extra to use it.

Tornado
08-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a good set, i'll prolly pick it up when its released in the UK...

Innovator
08-01-2004, 02:26 PM
It's funny to hear Tazz on the Great Sasuke. He comes out and says he doesn't like him etc.

BTW Michael Cole with the Mets comment, WTF?

mrslackalack
08-01-2004, 11:07 PM
yeah Booker T's theme is not owned by WWE but they got the permission to use it as it was in the music credits on the RAW 2 game for X-Box.