PDA

View Full Version : How did the NWA thing play out in 98?

The Mackem
08-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Yeah remember when Cornette came in and introduced the NWA. Jarret was champion and I forget who were tag champs. I think the Blackjacks split up when one joined the NWA. I remember the Headbangers got screwed out of winning the titles because they went above the ropes.

Anywayyyyy what happened?

Loose Cannon
08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I'm a little sketchy on this, but I'll try. I really liked the angle when it first started BTW. Basically Cornette camE back and spoke about traditon and that the WWF's matches were nothing but crap or something like that. He starts having NWA matches and Barry Windham wins the NWA Title. He also brings in the Rock N Roll Express as the NWA Tag Champs. Jarrett then defeats Barry Windham, wins the belt and alligns himself with Cornette. Then Barry Wndam turns on his partner Bradshaw and joins the NWA. Then Jarrett leaves the group after he loses a match to Bradshaw. Not even sure if he lost the Title. The group pretty much dies here anyway.

Later the Rock N Roll Express get kicked out and Cornette brings in the New Midnight Express (Bombastic Bart Gunn and Bodacious Bob Holly). Might be the other way around with the names. Wel, they sucked anyway. Then they are the only ones left until they die off.

da_king
08-01-2004, 04:10 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">

new midnight express :lol:

</font>

Funky Fly
08-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Oh yeah, the New ME were jokes. That was shortly after Bart had won Brawl for All and flopped with the heart punch gimmick.

Bombastic Bobcore Sparpky Plugg Holly

Kapoutman
08-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Actually, Bart flopped with the BFA tournament after the NME gimmick I think.

Savio
08-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Jarret was champion and I forget who were tag champs. I think the Blackjacks split up when one joined the NWA. I remember the Headbangers got screwed out of winning the titles because they went above the ropes.

They were never in Niggas With Attitudes.......well maybe Jerret.

The Ravishing One
08-02-2004, 05:00 AM
Actually, Bart flopped with the BFA tournament after the NME gimmick I think.
:y:

Mr. JL
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I think that was the only time I ever liked Jeff Jarrett

Rob
08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
It was the NWA North American title, not the World title for the record.

mrslackalack
08-03-2004, 10:25 PM
I believe it was a talent trade storyline because the new ME actually dropped the belts at a NWA show.

KayfabeMan
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
WWE had worked with NWA on deals, and The Headbangers wound up as NWA World Tag Team Champions too - which was a good move, because The HB's were extremely underrated (I think mainly due to their gimmick - which was EXTREMELY marketable, but "too childish" too be taken seriously)...anyhow...

It was done to kinda counter the WCW-nWo deal, but it died out before it began basically, because NWA hadn't really been a known name in a long time, and wasn't really known to the fans WWE was marketing towards at the time. It became another angle that was just dropped.

Not to mention the fact that the cool faction was Jarrett, Windham, The RNR XP, and Holly & Gunn. They stood no chance in hell in getting over with the general fans....at least not to the point that the nWo did for WCW.

Spoon Bender
08-11-2004, 07:27 AM
All I remember of that angle was that the New Blackjacks costume consisted of a pair of black trunks with "BJ" written on the back. That was back when Bradshaw was still "Justin Hawk Bradshaw" wasn't it?

BigDaddyCool
08-11-2004, 11:58 AM
All I remember of that angle was that the New Blackjacks costume consisted of a pair of black trunks with "BJ" written on the back. That was back when Bradshaw was still "Justin Hawk Bradshaw" wasn't it?

Nope, he was Blackjack Bradshaw...either that or they never mention the Justin part.