PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Here are my 10 most "meaningful" occurences in the WWE (since 1997)

Heyman
08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
DISCUSSION - Here are my 10 most "meaningful" occurences in the WWE (since 1997)

This thread isn't in regards to my 10 'best technical matches' or my '10 most exciting matches'. These matches/occurences (that I'm about to list), are simply matches/occurences that have meant the most to ME as a sports-entertainment WWE fan.

10t) Triple H's return to the WWE in January 2002:

God DAMN that MSG crowd went NUTS! I think the roof literally exploded when Triple H gave Angle the pedigree that same night. It's just too bad the WWE f</>ucked up Triple H's face run. :nono: It was also sad to see that Triple H wasn't quite the wrestler that he once was (I think he's almost as good as used to be now, but he struggled for the longest time when he returned).

10) Hulk Hogan's standing ovation the night after Wrestlemania 18:

Holy sh</>it. That's all I got to say. Just makes me wonder what Bret Hart's reaction will be like when he eventually comes back. :cool:

9) Chris Benoit vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels: Wrestlemania 20

-Absolutely GREAT to see Benoit win after quite possibly the greatest triple threat match of all-time (IMO). It was also great to see Benoit and Guerrero celebrate together that night. All of those years of hard work and dedication paid off....at the greatest stage of all.

8) The Rock vs. Triple H: Summerslam 98'

-The first time I ever openly cheered a heel. On a funny note, I don't think any of you can really relate to how "upset" I was when The Rock turned heel at Survivor Series that year. :lol:

7) Undertaker vs. Mick Foley: King of The Ring 1998.

-WOW.....is all I got to say. Flair can call Foley an 'over glorified stunt man' all he wants, but DAMN! I still can't believe that Foley actually got OUT of the stretcher, went back to the top of the cage, and went right friggin through it! Unbeliveable. Up until that point, I didn't fully respect the WWE because it was "fake". That sure as hell changed my perception!

6) Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels: Wrestlemania 14.

-I actually saw this PPV. Watching Austin win the title that night, was literally like watching a god-like, larger-than-life, character being created right before my very eyes. It's hard to describe, but I really got a sense of the 'torch' literally being passed. The hype leading into this match was UNBELIVEVABLE. To this day, Degeneration X still remains my favorite stable/concept of all-time. I truly hope they get back together one day.

5) Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar: Wrestlemania 19

-Definitely not Angle's best match, but still one of the best (if not, THE best) matches of the night. The guy wrestled with a broken friggin neck! (and a torn hamstring...which occured during the match). Angle is living proof that you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to.

4) Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho standing in the ring in Edmonton...2001

-These guys got a huge standing ovation from the Canadian crowd, and it sent chills down my spine (I'm Canadian). You can tell that Benoit was about to get emotional, but he held it in. As a Canadian, I was VERY proud to see something like this.

3) Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock: Wrestlemania 17.

Hero vs. Hero. #1 vs. #1A. 67,000+ fans. This is what the business is all about! At this point, I always figured that The Rock and Austin were equals in terms of popularity. Boy was I ever wrong. It truly amazed me as to HOW much fans were in love with Austin. At the start of the Austin/Rock feud, it was CLEARLY obvious that the fans wanted to cheer Austin...and 'boo' The Rock. "Die Rock Die" signs had to be comfiscated at certain arenas.

In Houston that night, the fans would "BOO" The Rock out of the building every time he got in ANY offense! (for the first 10 minutes anyways). Granted - the match was in Texas, but still! Even JR noted that this crowd was a "VERY partisan Texas crowd".

Even during and after the match when Austin turned heel (I knew it was coming, but it was still a shock to see him aligned with Vince), the crowd were still firmly behind Austin.

The next night on Raw when Austin 'teased' the fact that he'd stun Vince, the crowd still chanted, "HELL YEAH!"

Austin is also the one guy who I genuinely disliked seeing lose (cleanly). I was legitamtely pissed when Austin jobbed to Triple H a month earlier (and when Austin jobbed to The Rock at Wrestlemania 19).

2) Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H: Summerslam 2002.

-The only match in the history of the WWE to actually make me shed a tear (of joy). Having 2 herniated discs in my back (3 now as I type), I could somewhat relate to HBK coming back from a long injury. In my own personal life, I used to be huge on Karate and Tennis before the "so-called expert doctors" told me that I should probably quit both sports. Going against what they said, I still played tennis, got an athletic scholarship, and had 3 great years of college tennis.

Anyways - the whole HBK vs. Triple H was done very well in my opinion. HBK came across as a major and popular underdog. I was also very excited to see (in my opinion) the greatest overall wrestler of all-time hit the squared circle again.

1) Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock: Wrestlemania 18.

-The atmosphere for this match was absolutely amazing. Never seen anything like it. I still can't believe how strong 'Hulkamania' actually was. When Hogan hit the leg drop on The Rock, I literally jumped 10 feet in the air. I watched wrestling as a child a little bit in the late 80's/early 90's when Hogan was on top. Watching Hogan vs. The Rock was surreal for me. In what other sport do you see an old legend from a different era going up against a current one? It was absolutely great to see the re-birth of Hulk-a-mania....right before my very eyes.

Mayo
08-02-2004, 07:23 PM
LOL Heyman, is that River City Ransom in your sig?

Sensei Of Mattitude
08-02-2004, 07:49 PM
nothing in the WWE is meaningful anymore

which is sad

Chavo Classic
08-19-2004, 07:24 AM
* Update *

New first place - HHH starts boning the boss's daughter.

Nuff said

Aussie Skier
08-19-2004, 07:39 AM
meaningful moments (I cant really comment on too much stuff before 1999 to be honest tho)
anywayz, i'll have a go:

10. The Radicalz entering the WWE
9. Booker T attacking the Rock before Invasion
8. Rock VS Austin at WM19 (I think)
7. Chris Benoit winning the World Championship
6. Droz's injury
5. WWF VS WCW/ECW at survivor series
4. TLC matches
3. Foley winning the title on Raw
2. Bret Hart VS HBK, survivor series 1997
1. Owen Hart's Death

Taker vs Mankind at KOTR

Chavo Classic
08-19-2004, 08:35 AM
meaningful moments (I cant really comment on too much stuff before 1999 to be honest tho)
anywayz, i'll have a go:

10. The Radicalz entering the WWE
9. Booker T attacking the Rock before Invasion
8. Rock VS Austin at WM19 (I think)
7. Chris Benoit winning the World Championship
6. Droz's injury
5. WWF VS WCW/ECW at survivor series
4. TLC matches
3. Foley winning the title on Raw
2. Bret Hart VS HBK, survivor series 1997
1. Owen Hart's Death

Taker vs Mankind at KOTR

I loved every single one of them (well, not number 1). I think everyone overlooks Droz's injury but it changed the way Vince wanted his guys to wrestle and possibly the way the guys wanted to wrestle... except those crazy Hardys in number 4. wacky.

JJ Moore
08-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Owen Harts death as a meaningful moment? I think he was on about storyline wise dude, Owen's death was'nt planned :(

Aussie Skier
08-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Owen Harts death as a meaningful moment? I think he was on about storyline wise dude, Owen's death was'nt planned :(

i think you could have looked at it either way.
and what you said is definatly what he was implying.

but i felt it was justified to go beyond that

Aussie Skier
08-19-2004, 08:49 AM
i think notable exclusions also include:
NWO in WWE (and the failure of it)
Y2J in WWE
Big Show in WWE

Chavo Classic
08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
i think notable exclusions also include:
NWO in WWE (and the failure of it)
Y2J in WWE
Big Show in WWE

Why Y2J?

Aussie Skier
08-20-2004, 03:12 AM
Why Y2J?

I think jericho entering the WWE showed that wrestlers struggling in other promotions could get a chance with the WWE. I think it was the stimulant to the Radicalz, as well as guys like Rhyno and Raven, and ultimatly, WWE dominating WCW

Quick1
08-20-2004, 04:48 AM
1) Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock: Wrestlemania 18.

-The atmosphere for this match was absolutely amazing. Never seen anything like it. I still can't believe how strong 'Hulkamania' actually was. When Hogan hit the leg drop on The Rock, I literally jumped 10 feet in the air. I watched wrestling as a child a little bit in the late 80's/early 90's when Hogan was on top. Watching Hogan vs. The Rock was surreal for me. In what other sport do you see an old legend from a different era going up against a current one? It was absolutely great to see the re-birth of Hulk-a-mania....right before my very eyes.
I was there to and I was pumped