PDA

View Full Version : Why did Dean Malenko stop wrestling?

Favre4Ever
08-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Did he get injured or something? I know he's an agent or something now, but why did he stop?

I-Hate-You
08-05-2004, 03:29 AM
Pretty much like Tommy Dreamer and Lance Storm, he wasn't being used to his full potential, and not to mention he wasn't really over, so they let him have an agent role.

The Mackem
08-05-2004, 03:53 AM
To be fair he was in his fourties as well, wasn't he?

Dave Youell
08-05-2004, 03:55 AM
Pretty much like Tommy Dreamer and Lance Storm, he wasn't being used to his full potential, and not to mention he wasn't really over, so they let him have an agent role.
Well Lance had a pretty fucked up back, so I think if he were still fit he'd be wrestling.

But Yeah Shame about Malenko, he was a really good worker who never really got a chance to show off his talents to his full potential in the WWE, he did have a lenghtly reign as lightheavyweight champ, but that was mainly due to the fact that he was booking the division

Rock Bottom
08-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Malenko also has a wrestling school. I think it's in Florida, IIRC.

Rob
08-05-2004, 02:38 PM
I'd quit too if I had to put Lita over.

CosaNostra
08-05-2004, 02:54 PM
As a wrestler he was the man and he was almost peerless. He would make the best Tough Enough trainer they ever had.

Its too bad his mike skills were just terrible.

KayfabeMan
08-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I believe he closed the wrestling school, though it was infact in North Florida. His school turned out some top notch talents (Tony Mamaluke, Jeremy Lopez, Chad Collyer, Jamie Knoble, and others) just like his father's did.

I can honestly say that save for a few crappy WWE matches that they made him do, I have never seen a bad Malenko match - from WCW or otherwise.

Nark Order
08-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Pretty much like Tommy Dreamer.....
Tommy Dreamer was horrible. The only thing he was ever good for was falling off of things and gets hit with large blunt objects.

Rock Bottom
08-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Damn, shame about his school closing. But I'm glad he has a job still. And yeah Rob, putting Lita over is terrible. I think that rivals DDP putting Sara over.

LK
08-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Very good wrestler. The man of a 1,000 holds, Dean Malenko.

Sad thing is that whenever I think of him I think of that Chyna promo. "Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Personality, Mr Charisma, please stay awake for Dean Malenko" :nono: :nono:

MVP
08-05-2004, 06:26 PM
He won the PWI 500 in 1998 over Austin.

Jaded-Dragon
08-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Whenever I think of Dean Malenko, I think of his match with Chris Jericho at Slamboree '98.

Dean had previously lost to Jericho a few months before, and he told Gene Oakerlend after the match that he was going "home". Dean had been absent from WCW for a couple of months. And then...

They had a battle royal with the top cruiserweights in WCW at the time. I watched as person after person got eliminated. In the end it came down to Juvi and Ciclope. They stood face to face for about 30 seconds and then Juvi eliminated himself by jumping over the top to the floor! At this point I was like hmmm WTF? As Jericho entered the ring, Ciclope began to unmask himself. After he pulled the mask off, it was none other than Dean Malenko! I marked the F out.

It wasn't the most technically sound match, as Malenko was using more of a brawler style to sell the hatred he had for Jericho. None the less, it was and still is one of my favorite moments from WCW. I totally did not expect it, and I was so happy to see Malenko back in the ring.

KayfabeMan
08-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Ciclope began to unmask himself. After he pulled the mask off, it was none other than Dean Malenko! I marked the F out.

:y:

The Mackem
08-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Whenever I think of Dean Malenko, I think of his match with Chris Jericho at Slamboree '98.

Dean had previously lost to Jericho a few months before, and he told Gene Oakerlend after the match that he was going "home". Dean had been absent from WCW for a couple of months. And then...

They had a battle royal with the top cruiserweights in WCW at the time. I watched as person after person got eliminated. In the end it came down to Juvi and Ciclope. They stood face to face for about 30 seconds and then Juvi eliminated himself by jumping over the top to the floor! At this point I was like hmmm WTF? As Jericho entered the ring, Ciclope began to unmask himself. After he pulled the mask off, it was none other than Dean Malenko! I marked the F out.

It wasn't the most technically sound match, as Malenko was using more of a brawler style to sell the hatred he had for Jericho. None the less, it was and still is one of my favorite moments from WCW. I totally did not expect it, and I was so happy to see Malenko back in the ring.
Yeah great match. It's the one where Jericho takes the piss out of all the cruiserweights when he introdcues them all.

mrslackalack
08-06-2004, 11:41 PM
He won the PWI 500 in 1998 over Austin.

Austin won it in 98 while Malenko did win it in 97 as PWI said, Hogan would have been Num 1 that year if he wasnt inactive but Dean did Deserve it that year.