PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Change Tour featuring Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Dave Matthews Band, among others

KingofOldSchool
08-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Pearl Jam on the Vote for Change tour!

Pearl Jam is excited to announce the Vote for Change concert tour. Vote for Change is a loose coalition of musicians brought together by a single idea—the need to make a change in the direction of our country. We share a belief that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We are fighting for a government that is open, rational, just and progressive.

“The upcoming election provides everyone an opportunity to change the direction our country is headed and to elect a government that is just, rational and respectful of the views and rights of the people it serves. This coalition of artists wants to be a part of that change.” said Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.

Artists participating in Vote for Change have merged their energies and talents to focus on states that are expected to have the closest race in the presidential election this fall. This unprecedented effort will include approximately 34 shows in 28 cities in 9 battleground states over the course of a week.

These concerts will feature Babyface, Jackson Browne, Bright Eyes, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie, the Dixie Chicks, John Fogerty, Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, Keb’ Mo’, John Mellencamp, My Morning Jacket, Pearl Jam, Bonnie Raitt, R.E.M., James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and more. These and other artists will appear on separate bills on the same night in selected cities around several battleground states.

Vote for Change artists hope to accomplish a single goal through the tour: to get people to the polls on November 2nd to vote for a change.

The Vote for Change tour will be presented by MoveOn PAC, with all concert proceeds benefiting the work of America Coming Together (ACT).

TICKETS:

Pearl Jam and Death Cab for Cutie will be performing the following Vote for Change shows:

Oct. 1 Reading, PA - Sovereign Center
Oct. 2 Toledo, OH - Sports Arena
Oct. 3 Grand Rapids, MI - Delta Plex
Oct. 5 St. Louis, MO - Fox Theater
Oct. 6 Asheville, NC - Civic Center
Oct. 8 Kissimmee, FL - Silver Spur Arena

IMPORTANT: Check back here for more information about how to get tickets to these shows. All dates and venues subject to change.

For more information about Vote for Change, including ticket information and updates, go to moveonpac.org.

“This is the fourth presidential election which Pearl Jam has engaged in as a band, and we feel it’s the most important one of our lifetime. We believe in the power of the first amendment, and have always exercised our right to free speech in every aspect of our lives and music. This year there is no more powerful way for all Americans to exercise that right than by voting. Given the extreme political climate of a country at war, we are proud to stand among the many artists involved in this tour and to encourage Americans not only to vote for a president this November 2nd, but to vote for the change they wish to see in the world.” - Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam

Be sure to register to vote early and make your Vote for Change!

BACKGROUND:
Unprecedented in scale and strategy, ACT is building the largest voter mobilization effort in history to elect progressive candidates to federal, state and local offices in November. For more information on ACT visit www.act04.com.

MoveOn PAC is a 2.5 million-member online grassroots political action committee working to take back our government. By gathering small contributions from ordinary citizens, it is using the Internet to level the playing field against the interest of big corporate money in politics. It's sister organization, MoveOn.org, raises issues of war and peace, social justice, media integrity and honesty in government. For more information, visit moveonpac.org.

pearljam.com

Hopefully I'm going to the one in Tooolllleeeddoooo

Blue Demon
08-07-2004, 02:52 PM
That seems like a pretty good lineup

da_king
08-07-2004, 03:46 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
it's funny how endorsing candidtates is such a big thing down there, like cellebrities and the like feeling the need to convince or sway people to vote a certain way and promoting their own choices. it's not really like that up here or at least not on that scale.

</font>

VonErich Lives
08-07-2004, 04:27 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
it's funny how endorsing candidtates is such a big thing down there, like cellebrities and the like feeling the need to convince or sway people to vote a certain way and promoting their own choices. it's not really like that up here or at least not on that scale.

</font>

Cause we're sheep... which ever dog barks loudest we all follow.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
08-08-2004, 03:45 AM
I think it has a lot to do with Bush sucking as President too, a lot of people want to see him out of office. I don't remember this much "election stuff" last time

KingofOldSchool
08-08-2004, 03:58 AM
Not to mention that whole Florida fiasco back in 2000. :lol:

ct2k
08-08-2004, 02:06 PM
I think celebrities should keep their noses out of politics and let people decide for themselves. How is an election defeat for Goerge Bush a real victory for his opponents if half of the people who voted for them were convinced to do so by a great set from Pearl Jam?

KingofOldSchool
08-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I think celebrities should keep their noses out of politics and let people decide for themselves. How is an election defeat for Goerge Bush a real victory for his opponents if half of the people who voted for them were convinced to do so by a great set from Pearl Jam?

How would you know why someone voted for someone without asking them? I don't know of a single person who has ever voted for someone because "Celebrity A" inspired them to.

The fact of the matter is this, celebrities have to the right to voice their opinions. Music is about expression, I for one am glad that there are some celebrities that are passionate enough about this too express them through what they do best. They are Americans too and just like anyone else they should be able to voice their opinions and concerns. Some people may not like it, but all they have to do is not listen to them. If musicians want to tour to support Bush, Nader, Kerry, or anyone else then they have a right too.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-08-2004, 02:21 PM
So you're saying because they're famous they shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions

The Outlaw
08-10-2004, 03:53 PM
I think it has a lot to do with Bush sucking as President too, a lot of people want to see him out of office. I don't remember this much "election stuff" last time
Pretty much hit it right on the head

KingofOldSchool
08-12-2004, 04:17 PM
So you're saying because they're famous they shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions

Yeah really, I'm still waiting for an answer.

The Mask
08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
I think artists should put their opinions like that across really, at least those without a dollar sign hanging over their head. Only thing is, most of them don't bother elaborating beyong "bush is gay, iraq was a shitty idea, raar!" and that's about it.

BCWWF
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
That would be an amazing tour, it comes to St. Louis! Maybe I'll go!

Kane Knight
08-12-2004, 10:34 PM
It sounded more like "We're too stupid to decide based on the merits if someone with an important name tells us otherwise."

KingofOldSchool
08-13-2004, 05:55 PM
I'll find out next week if I get to buy tickets through pre-sale.

*crosses fingers*

ct2k
08-13-2004, 06:30 PM
How would you know why someone voted for someone without asking them? I don't know of a single person who has ever voted for someone because "Celebrity A" inspired them to.

The fact of the matter is this, celebrities have to the right to voice their opinions. Music is about expression, I for one am glad that there are some celebrities that are passionate enough about this too express them through what they do best. They are Americans too and just like anyone else they should be able to voice their opinions and concerns. Some people may not like it, but all they have to do is not listen to them. If musicians want to tour to support Bush, Nader, Kerry, or anyone else then they have a right too.

Where did it say they were touring to support anyone?

Outsider
08-13-2004, 07:17 PM
I think it's a bit of a rip-off of punk voter, but hell, if it reaches fans that Rock Against Bush and stuff doesn't, then all the better :y:

KingofOldSchool
08-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Where did it say they were touring to support anyone?

Read the first paragraph.

ct2k
08-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah i know they're anti-bush, they just don't seem to be pro anyone specific to replace him. Don't get me wrong i love Pearl Jam and i'm all for free speech, i just don't like it when all they're doing is being anti-bush, if they're gonna do it i'd rather they were doing it right i guess and atleast being supportive of another candidate and not just looking like bandwagon jumpers who've seen Farenheit 9/11 and had an awakening.*

*I know this isn't the case i'm just talking like someone reading this who hasn't got a clue who these bands are and what they're about.

KingofOldSchool
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Pearl Jam has always been non-Republican/Anti Bush, even back when George Sr. was in office..

In 2000 they were Pro-Nader and they still are kinda.

They just want to get Bush out of office.

The Outlaw
08-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Yeah PJ have always been anti Bush/anti idiocy.