PDA

View Full Version : Disc Read Error question

Kane Knight
08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Is that the exact wording of the problem that sony's fixing for free? I'm wondering, because mine often says instead "unable to read disc."

xey
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm not 100% sure on that, as I've never had a DRE, but I think that's the problem.

Actually, come to think of it, if your PS2 hasn't been hacked up or anything, Sony -should- (don't quote me on that) repair your console for free, if it's any kind of reading error.

HeartBreakMan2k
08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah KK, you're fine. Here's what I had to do, call up Sony, tell them the issue (tell them that it's happened to quite a few people you know as well) They'll ask you to start up a game and tell them the message. Then they'll give you an address to send your PS2 and you pay shipping and handling (and insurance if you're smart) then in two to four weeks you'll get either your Ps2 fixed, or a new one all together.

Also don't tell them you've used any unlicensed products when they ask, even if you have, don't admit to it.

DaveWadding
08-20-2004, 06:06 PM
"Sir, your unlicensed controller is causing this error...stop using it immediately."

RoXer
08-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Check GameFAQS

FAQS/PlayStation 2 Hardware/DRE error/Sony Repair

Something like that.

Kane Knight
08-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Check GameFAQS

FAQS/PlayStation 2 Hardware/DRE error/Sony Repair

Something like that.
Already been there. The problems I have occur during gameply, or movie play, however.

I don't consistenyly get an error when loading up a disc, either. Which is kind of annoying.

I think this means my system's on the brink of failing outright (The main problem I have, the errors during playback, is listed as indicitive of a DRE problem...). However, it didn't mention whether or not the wording on the error had to be specific or not.

I've read the FAQ.

Kane Knight
08-20-2004, 07:39 PM
"Sir, your unlicensed controller is causing this error...stop using it immediately."
It's bullshit, but they do it to try and get out of giving you a free repair. That's about all there is to it.

HeartBreakMan2k
08-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Already been there. The problems I have occur during gameply, or movie play, however.

I don't consistenyly get an error when loading up a disc, either. Which is kind of annoying.

I think this means my system's on the brink of failing outright (The main problem I have, the errors during playback, is listed as indicitive of a DRE problem...). However, it didn't mention whether or not the wording on the error had to be specific or not.

I've read the FAQ.
That's how it starts. It starts out being really inconsistant during games, then inconsistantly having an error at the start, then just not starting.

Kane Knight
08-22-2004, 02:37 PM
That's how it starts. It starts out being really inconsistant during games, then inconsistantly having an error at the start, then just not starting.
Which is the question. Do I have to wait for tiotal systenm failure, or what?

HeartBreakMan2k
08-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't think so, but call up Sony's tech support. Tell them you have the problem every now and then reguardless the game at start up, then tell them it happens during games and they should tell you what to do. Be sure to mention know several people who've had the problem though.

Kane Knight
08-22-2004, 05:20 PM
That definitely wouldn't be a lie. I've known something like a dozen people who have had this sort of thing happen to their PS2. To say that they mentioned what was happening to my PS2 was a precursor to the fullblown read error would NOT be any exaggeration.

My problem has gotten progressively worse, and it's getting totally unbearable. it was one DVD. Then 3. Then like six. Then over a dozen. Then I got hit with errors in video games.

It's starting to really piss me off. On the other hand, if I have to pay their service fees, I might as well buy a new PS2. Between shipping and that $120 flat fee, I'd be in the hole more than a PS2 is worth these days, so I'm trying to figger out if I can get them to do this (as it is clearly a fault with the system), or if I'm dicked.

LSS, thanks HBK2K2, I'll have to give it a shot.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 12:19 AM
This happens to me, too, but it only happens with one game. Would they still fix it for free?

Requiem
08-27-2004, 12:33 AM
This happens to me, too, but it only happens with one game. Would they still fix it for free?
Just tell them you've tried many different CDs of the game, and none of them have worked.

They -should- fix it.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 12:34 AM
I have actually (well, two different discs anyway).

Requiem
08-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Good enough.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
If only you worked at Sony.

Requiem
08-27-2004, 12:57 AM
I should get a job for their tech help phone lines. I'd be a great person to deal with because I'm so agreeable..

Caller: Ok.. so I just pop this little thing out here and pry out this gear over here?
Me: Yep... then, since you probably just did it wrong and broke it more, send it in and we'll fix it for free.

DS
08-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Sony has a hard time with taking them. There are some reps there that will take it for free and others that would make you pay. Just be really nice if you call up there.

A disk/lens cleaner works wonders.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
It's a brand new disk, and what is a lens cleaner?

DS
08-27-2004, 02:12 AM
It's a CD with brushes on it that you put in and it cleans off all the dirt from the lens without hurting it. Maybe a problem with the disc if it's only that one.

Mayo
08-27-2004, 02:19 AM
"Sir, your unlicensed controller is causing this error...stop using it immediately."Well this happened to me with PSX actually. I bought a cheap brand memory card not licenced by Sony, and sometimes when I played, the game would not respond to any buttons that I pressed. When I removed the memory card, the game worked just fine. Didn't happen all the time though.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
It's a CD with brushes on it that you put in and it cleans off all the dirt from the lens without hurting it. Maybe a problem with the disc if it's only that one.
It's done it with different discs of the same game. It might not be the only game it happens on, it's just that it's the only game I've been playing in the last two weeks.

DS
08-27-2004, 08:02 PM
To answer your question, yes I have one. Catch me online and I'll let you borrow it.

el fregadero
08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Splendid.

Gotta go close now, though. :'(