PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo gets 2 major patents

#BROKEN Hasney
08-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Um, WTF:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/nintendo_online_gaming/

The two patents detail a "home video game system with hard disk drive and Internet access capability", but the second filing adds provision for "substantially real-time" online multi-player gaming, connection via an online gaming service, support for online "player performance data", using the connection to download information and do so securely through an authentication process, and the communication across the Net of "audio input signals".
With the top one, they've basically patetened the XBox... WTF? I'm not sure how patents work, but could they sue Microsoft for this? :-\

Kane Knight
08-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Why not? Retroactive patents happen all the time.

Look at the patents on Magic: The Gathering. Not only didn't they invent some of the concepts they patented, but they managed to successfully patent it after a market was established, and managed to use it to corner said market.

And yes, this means they can sue Microsoft, depending on the specifics of the patent.

Kane Knight
08-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Keep in mind that Microsoft themselves just was awared a retroactive patent for "Double clicking."

Funky Fly
08-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Keep in mind that Microsoft themselves just was awared a retroactive patent for "Double clicking."
Well, then, LET THE LAWSUITS BEGIN!

I can't exactly feel bad for a monopoly like Microsoft.

The Snake
08-21-2004, 11:57 PM
For a bit Nintendo was rumored to be in on the design of the next xbox console. I had read in a few magazines that they were going to drop their hardware line and produce their games exclusively on xbox while helping with the development. This turned out to(at least seemingly at this point) to be false as now Nintendo has announced its new console project seperately from the second generation xbox

Kane Knight
08-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Well, then, LET THE LAWSUITS BEGIN!

I can't exactly feel bad for a monopoly like Microsoft.
The problem is, it's a corporation fucking another corporation.

While I maintain that Nintendo is the lesser of the two evils, they are still evil.

Kane Knight
08-22-2004, 07:04 PM
For a bit Nintendo was rumored to be in on the design of the next xbox console. I had read in a few magazines that they were going to drop their hardware line and produce their games exclusively on xbox while helping with the development. This turned out to(at least seemingly at this point) to be false as now Nintendo has announced its new console project seperately from the second generation xbox
THIS JUST IN: The world is not in fact flat.

The Mackem
08-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Poor Microsoft. Couldn't have happenend to a nicer company.

Kalyx triaD
08-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Can you patent a word? Cause I invented Microsoft, scare, bluetooth, and broadband. I will land a lawsuit on any and all persons cashing in on my words.

Lara Emily
08-22-2004, 10:38 PM
How do they patent something they've never made? Lovely how the world works lol. Stupid corporations, all of em.

Funky Fly
08-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Can you patent a word? Cause I invented Microsoft, scare, bluetooth, and broadband. I will land a lawsuit on any and all persons cashing in on my words.
Copyright. And/or trademark.

Ninti the Mad
08-24-2004, 12:07 PM
WTF

This will only slow down the gaming market.

They are just screwing gamers in the end.