PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: should Golf be in the summer olympics?

Gertner
08-25-2004, 05:41 PM
btw before I start my topic I brought this up at my gf house, and my gf asked if it was gonna be in the winter olympics. She said that they could do it indoors..... God.

Anywho, here's my reason why it should

1. Many countries have great golfers, thus it wouldn't just be dominated by 1 team

2. Pretty much every country has a golf course

3. More exposure to the game.

4. Male and female competitors.

Why it shouldn't

1. You'd have to alter the tour schedule

2. Golfers may pull out or not go because it may effect their performance on the tour.

I think it should.

Just stage I believe it's called the Dunhill Cup (the tourny were two players from each country compete as a team) and use that for olympic qualifying, and then just go the basic scoring format 1st place gets gold and so on.....

Apprentice
08-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I think it could work, but the thing is that not every country has a great golf course and it'd probably be outside of the olympic arena in some other viscinity. Most of the other events are in stadiums or in the water, so its easier to manage. Golf needs a huge area of land.
But other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing it in the Olympics. Maybe getting college students or amateurs in it if the pros don't want to do it.

BCWWF
08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
I say no, mainly because I don't like golf and it is already on tv soooo much. I've heard that the main reason golf is on TV so much is because the network gets more advertising money then say if they played reruns or something. That being said, I also don't consider golf a sport. Even though it technically contains two key aspects of being a sport, eye-hand cordination and muscle, I still look at it more of a game like backgammon or something. When I think of athletics, golf doesn't come to mind.

Overall I wouldn't give a damn if they decided to add it, but if someone asked me I would say probably not

Rob
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
I say absolutely not. I like golf and play it whenever I can but it's not an Olympic sport. It's barely even a sport in my book.

Gertner
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM
yes, but it's more of a sport than shooting a damn gun, or bow and arrow.

Rob
08-25-2004, 06:43 PM
There were bow and arrows back in the day though. I don't remember David challenging Goliath to 18 holes. For the record, I would have picked Goliath. He would have a monster drive.

road doggy dogg
08-25-2004, 06:46 PM
There were bow and arrows back in the day though. I don't remember David challenging Goliath to 18 holes. For the record, I would have picked Goliath. He would have a monster drive.

Yeah but going by that, I don't think Jesus' disciples made up Jerusalem's baseball team either :|

Rob
08-25-2004, 06:54 PM
I dont think that should be there either though.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-25-2004, 06:58 PM
I think the Olympics should be streamlined rather than expanded.

The Mackem
08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
No and for a reason just look at Olympic tennis.

Gertner
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM
yeah, but I bet David would have a better short game.

YOUR Hero
08-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Yes, amateurs only though.

Great exposure for the amateur ranks.

BCWWF
08-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Nobody wants to see Amateur golfers, ugh.

I too think they should take some of the events out of the summer olympics, I think they would be better off if they had another event, olympics or not, but with those gym sports in it...basketball, handball, volleyball, gymnastics and that as their own event.

IMO the summer olympics should be based around Track, Swimming, Wrestling, and other similar sports.

I am getting way to picky and out there, disregard this post

HeartBreakMan2k
08-26-2004, 01:27 AM
No, there is enough boring shit on the olympics already. Like "race walking". Wtf

*Watches some wrestling :cool:*

BCWWF
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Did anybody else read that feature in SI a few months ago about the race walker who committed suicide after failing to make the team? Pretty intense story.

Downunder
08-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Why the hell not, they have shit like sycho swimming, sailing, horses riding shit, (why not have bronco riding and bull riding as well - I'd actually watch that) beach vollyball (would anyone actually watch it if the birds weren't wearing fuck all) , christ why not have motorsport as well.

The Olympics is a fucking joke - I'll be happy when it's finished, then I won't have to change the channel so much.