The Darkness - :love::love::love::love: I LOVE THESE GUYS

Outsider
08-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Asshole!

Roll on Sunday

Green Day :D

Jonster
08-27-2004, 11:50 PM
I'd assume Reading is still kicking ass, as it's not finished yet.

P.S. Couldn't go cause of work :(

deathtrap
08-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Tell us about tomorrow, make sure you see Thursday

Rob
08-28-2004, 04:56 PM
ass? what are you American or something?

JJ Moore
08-29-2004, 07:21 AM
ass? what are you American or something?

shut up

Outsider
08-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Minus - Only caught the end of their set, watchable
Rasmus - Bottled off after 5 or so minutes :D
Thrice - Good enough to make their album go on my shopping list! Great performance
Dropkick Murpheys - Alright, sound quality wasn't great though
The Streets - Made a good effort to get the crowd involved, but didn't really get far. Was a good show but maybe a little out of place at Reading
Lost Prophets - Started badly, until the "wall of death" on Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja which really got the crowd, and for that matter the band, into it
Placebo - Dull. Didn't get the crowd into it at all. Made no effort.
50 Cent - Crowd fired up for this one, all the effort went into getting rid of him, and of course it worked! :D
Green Day - Do I need to say anything. Lots of great covers! :D

Mike the Metal Ed
08-30-2004, 05:37 PM
The Wildhearts :love:

http://asphyXy.net/hb.gif

JJ Moore
08-30-2004, 05:38 PM
yeah they were great. I was right in there for them and got a few chants and claps going :love:

Mike the Metal Ed
08-30-2004, 05:41 PM
I saw them at Rock City with Therapy? and Gliteratti supporting, the 'hearts were indeed awesome.

JJ Moore
08-30-2004, 09:36 PM
everything went wrong for them though, alot of technical probs. but they prevailed. :cool:

deathtrap
08-31-2004, 06:21 AM
How was the Concrete Jungle and Thursday?

Cactus Sid
08-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Just gonna talk about the bands rather than the pulling, hugs, mud, alcohol and everything else that goes on at Reading, suffice to say, apart from a mate who is a complete and utter cock, it was a great weekend.

I'm gonna do this in 3 parts, cos I'm still knackered.

FRIDAY REVIEW

Missed Goldie Lookin' Chain....fucking queues :(
Managed to get in to see Taking Back Sunday, who were unbelievably sh</>it. Sound was shocking, the guitarist/singer is a cock and sucks, just an awful, awful set.
Hung around for Reel Big Fish, and was really disappointed. I think if they'd played in the sun, they would've been great, but the fact was, it was raining, I was covered in mud, and I'd been ill for 2 days, and Reel Big Fish were a bit too happy for me at thaty point.
Decided that I'd seen Hundred Reasons in 2003, and realised that on the main stage they'd suck in comparison to the Radio 1 tent, so went to the Radio 1 tent to catch the (International) Noise Conspiracy, and they were amazing. Anti-Capatalist, Pro-Communist, lots of energy, good songs, one of my bands of the weekend
Headed over to the comedy tent for a little while to watch Marcus Brigstocke, who was pretty funny. Came out with a great line for a heckler.

"Come on now mate, I don't hassle you when your working do I? I don't come down to the docks and take those dicks out of your mouths for a living do I?"

Halfway through his set I made the arduous journey.....across to the carling tent. Went to see a little band called The Subways, who I'd seen play a set at Glastonbury, after winning a competition. I was pleased I did. They were never gonna blow me away, but they were a pleasant little band, with some good songs, and they could go a long way, I'd really recommend checking them out if you get a chance.....plus the bassist is hot.
When they finished, I realised there was a huge gap to The Distillers, so went to watch Mike Wilmot in the Comedy Tent. WHAT A LEGEND. Ok, his comedy was more than a little bit....blue, but damn, he was hilarious, don't need to say anymore, the guy was the man.
Headed back for the start of the 7 hour main stage marathon, with the lovely Brody Dalle (I think she's lovely at least). Felt they played a good set, she is amazingly hot, has great emotion and stage presence, and for christ sake, she threw her guitar into the crowd....at READING. You just don't do that.... so seeing it, made her... I dunno, just really cool. Didn't play Young Crazed Peeling or City Of Angels, which was a bit disappointing, but hey not a bad set at all.
Then came The Hives. Got quite near the front in expectation of a fun, energy filled set. It was to an extent. They are good live, Pelle is charismatic. BUT, he has got to be the most annoying person since the woman from the Scissor Sisters, for on-stage bullsh</>it. Talk about up his own ass. I spent half my time looking at my mate, and shaking my head. Aside from that, they were awesome.
Ash, were disappointing. (Apart from her nipple-on for the whole set) It wasn't that they didn't a greatest hits set, cos they did, but I just felt like something was missing.
The Offspring were on next, and I was expecting a set laden with Splinter and Conspiracy, but NO, they played what I would describe as a Greatest Hits set as well (granted no Ignition or Offspring) BUT plenty of Smash and Ixnay. They were absolutely awesome, and I would say better than ANY band last year, absolutely brilliant set, the crowd was hot, just...awesome.
Then, I had a tough decision to make.... The Darkness or Kasabian. Now, I REALLY LIKE, Kasabian, some of there songs are amazingly kick ass, and the Carling Tent would surely have an amazing atmosphere. BUT, The Darkness are the The Darkness, and for everything people say about them, they have a knack for putting on quality live peformances. So, The Darkness won out.

I wish I'd seen Kasabian.

The Darkness....were kinda funny at times, the music....was pretty good. But the Stalling, the lack of material (if anyone argues "They Didn't Even Play There Whole Album" think about it, if they had, thats all everyone would have said) it was a real disappointment. Can't help but feel it should have been The Offspring headlining, The Darkness second, an Hour Set, they could have pulled off, an hour and a half? It was a struggle.

All in all, a pretty good day.

TOP 3 BANDS OF THE DAY

1) The Offspring
2) The (International) Noise Conspiracy
3) The Hives

WORST BAND OF THE DAY

Taking Back Sunday

JJ Moore
08-31-2004, 07:57 AM
nah darkness pulled it off imeensely, they played 2 new songs and like 5 b-sides, they had mroe then enough time/material.

Cos they played half the set of unknown stuff to the common wouldnt of known.

stima
09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
LOL Why would 50 Cent play at a show like that?

Cactus Sid
09-02-2004, 07:24 AM
LOL Why would 50 Cent play at a show like that?

Money.