PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Wrestler - Day 13 - Brian Pillman

Mister Sinister
09-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, The WWE Superhero had his day, and well, he turned in a shocking score with a 76, which puts him in second to last place, just two points ahead of Low Ki and two points behind Rob Van Dam

Day 1: Bret Hart (96)
Day 2: Chris Jericho (91)
Day 3: Rob Van Dam (78)
Day 4: Diamond Dallas Page (80)
Day 5: Low Ki (73)
Day 6: A.J Styles (89)
Day 7 : Rey Mysterio Jr. (81)
Day 8: Owen Hart (95)
Day 9: Ultimo Dragon (84)
Day 10: Raven (87)
Day 11: "British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith (84)
Day 12: The Hurricane (76)

Current Top 5 Leaderboard
1. Bret Hart (96)
2. Owen Hart (95)
3. Chris Jericho (91)
4. AJ Styles (89)
5. Raven (87)

Today, Wrestler was picked by Loose Cannon, of course, I'm sure everyone knew it was going to be Pillman, so I'll save the introductions for a great, who needs none.

Sadly, This Will be the Last Rate The Wrestler Of the week, since I live in Central Florida, and as you know, a stupid Hurricane with a gay name is heading towards where I live and of course, the last one, Charley, knocked out power for 3 days, and since this one is following the same path, I'm not going to schedule another one, until I know wheither or not I have power or not...However if the Hurricane misses me, I will have one either Saturday or Sunday, if not, they shall return sometime next week

The Voting will end Friday at 9 PM EST, have fun

Nark Order
09-02-2004, 11:12 PM

Pillman fucking ruled.

asphyXy
09-02-2004, 11:13 PM

Innovator
09-02-2004, 11:17 PM

Took
09-02-2004, 11:18 PM
He gets a 9.9 from me. I'd give him a 10 out of love for the best psychotic son of a bitch I've ever seen, but that damn ankle injury.

Gone Mad
09-02-2004, 11:33 PM
8.6 ! Two moments that stick out in my mind about him: ECW and the "smart marks" shoot, and of course, the Austin home invasion.

And yeah,like Mr. Helmsphere, I have to stay in the back too because of that hurricane Frances bastard!

HeartBreakMan2k
09-02-2004, 11:49 PM

John la Rock
09-02-2004, 11:51 PM

Loose Cannon
09-03-2004, 12:20 AM

I'm going to do a little talking here, so bare with me. I always wanted to do a write up on Pillman and now is as good as any time to do it.

Wrestling : Pillman was one of the greatest wrestlers on the planet back in the early 90's and I'm not just saying that because he's my favorite, but that's a fact. And those who saw Pillman during the early 90's would agree with me. His matches with Jushin Liger over the Light Heavyweight Title were nothing short of spectacular. One of there matches was the runner up in Pro Wrestling Illustrated Match of the Year Award for 1992. The Winner You ask? Bret Hart vs British Bulldog at Summerlsam 92. Not to shabby.

With the Hollywood Blondes, Pillman along with Austin personified what a heel tag team should be like. They were voted Tag Team of the year in 1993 by PWI. Pillman showed off his mic skills here and he was excellent. Austin will tell you himself that he learned a lot about mic work from his freind Brain Pillman. The Blondes put on steller matches and were shining stars in a sky filled with dark clouds in WCW in 1993.

Sadly, After Pillman broke his ankle in 96, he was never the same wrestler that he once was. But he could still preform with the best of them.

Character and Mic Work : Ok, I mentioned his steller mic work with the Hollywood Blondes, but what he delieverd on the mic from 1995-1997 was grade A quality shit. As 1995 unfolded, Brain Pillman became "Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman. In my opinion this character is the single greatest chracter of all-time and it was played to perfection. Pillman fooled everybody with this chracter, in and outside of the business. Nobody really knew if it was a work or not. His antics each and every week on WCW and on ECW during that time had everyone talking within the business. Nobody knew just what the hell he would do next or just when the hell he would snap. Heenan sure didn't know when Pillman grabbed his throat on an episode of WCW TV. Pillman became a member of the Four Horsemen during this time and single handedly carired WCW each and every week. Well maybe that's a little to harsh to WCW, but many will tell you that.

At ECW Cyberslam 96, Pillman gave the Promo of his career in my opinion. He appeared in the middle of the ring and absolutely went to town on Eric Bischoff and WCW shooting on them. Then he coined the term "Smart Marks" and ripped apart the ECW fans in the arena. Then he attacked a fan with a fork and proceeded to take a piss in the middle of the ring at that very show. Just Fuckin Quality shit right there.

In the WWF, Pillman was the mouth piece of the Hart Foundation, another great stable. He delieverd some more great promos during his time in the WWF. One that sticks out on me is the one he gave the week after he came back and assulted Steve Austin. It was a very religious-esque promo praying for Bret's recovery and calling for Austin's head. The press conference promo to introduce Pillman in the WWF and the XXX-Files he did with Marlena were also very clever. His facial expressions, his changing of his voice from high to low and high again, and his delievry just made all of his promos priceless.

Overcoming the Odds : Pillman didn't have an easy life by any means. He was born with thraot cancer and had 36 throat operations as a kid. That's why his voice sounded the way it did. Pillman was the Courage Award on the year that he walked on to the Cincinatti Bengals after being told by many that he was to small to play football.

In WCW he went through a lot of political bullshit, especially during the mid 90's, but fought time and time again. Just when it seemed like he would begin a new journey in the WWF, Pillman was injured in an accident, that almost killed him. Fortunately, Pillman bounced back and quickly became a star in the WWF feuding with Austin. I know you guys remember the "Gun Inncident." Unfortunatel, Pillman rebroke his ankle while in the WWF and had to have surgery once again. Pillman started getting hooked on pain killers as he was suffering from so much pain.

Sadly, The pain killers and other drugs he was using to fight the pain and to battle with the stress in his life became to much for his body to bear. Pillman passed away on the weekend of WWF'S Bad Blood PPV after an apparent heart attack. I'll always remember the feeling I had inside of me when Vince told the viewers at home what happened. That same feeling would resurface again 2 years later.

But, I remember Pillman not for the bad parts of his life, but the good. The one's that made me become one of his biggest fans. He was truly one of the greats and for that I give him a 9.9

MVP
09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
9 1/2, partly influenced by LC's write-up.

Mayo
09-03-2004, 12:39 AM

Volchok
09-03-2004, 01:07 AM
9 1/2

BLaZeR-
09-03-2004, 01:07 AM

Supermark101
09-03-2004, 01:22 AM

CANADIAN
09-03-2004, 01:47 AM

BigDaddyCool
09-03-2004, 02:01 AM

He never did shit for me. Now bear in mind that when I first started watching wrestling, it was just right before he died, and it was when he was fueding with Golddust and that was complete crap. Then he died, and those are some of my ealiest memories of Pillman. But since then, I have seen and read a good deal about his glory days. They were alright, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also, anyone who dies of an overdose pisses me off. But he didn't completely suck, so I give him a 7.

Took
09-03-2004, 02:40 AM

He never did shit for me. Now bear in mind that when I first started watching wrestling, it was just right before he died, and it was when he was fueding with Golddust and that was complete crap. Then he died, and those are some of my ealiest memories of Pillman. But since then, I have seen and read a good deal about his glory days. They were alright, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also, anyone who dies of an overdose pisses me off. But he didn't completely suck, so I give him a 7.

He didn't die of an overdose. Genetic heart disease which probably would have got to him later in life, but he was taking pain killers, and that aggravated it. He knew nothing of it. He also didn't know that his wife was carrying their newest child. She never got that chance to tell him.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-03-2004, 02:41 AM

If I had the time, I would do a write up... Then again, it doesn't matter, because LC said everything I would have, and more. Pillman had that "it" factor. He reminded me a lot of Shawn Michaels in a bizzarro sort of way. I was still young and markish when he was in the Hollywood Blondes with Steve Austin, and I can honestly say they were the first heels that I steadly supported. To me, they predated the "cool heels" of the modern era.

Funky Fly
09-03-2004, 03:28 AM
Ring ability: 9
Overness: 8
Work rate: 10
Politics: 10
Mic skill: 10
Overall rank: 9.4

Funky Fly
09-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Oh wait, did I say 9.4? I meant 0.4 :shifty:

Mister Sinister
09-03-2004, 03:47 AM

Watson
09-03-2004, 05:14 AM

The Fugitive
09-03-2004, 06:00 AM

CosaNostra
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM

SuperSlim
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM

KayfabeMan
09-03-2004, 09:31 AM

Loose Cannon
09-03-2004, 11:13 AM

What exactly have you seen? Nothing out of the ordinary? I don't know how you can call the "Loose Cannon" chracter something ordinary. He conned the boys in the back, the writers, the fans, the front office, his freinds. He conned everyone for a while there. If that character wasn't unordinary in wrestling for that time, I don't know what was. I don't know if watching bits and pieces of him does justice. Maybe for this early matches in WCW it might cause he really had no character, but for his Hollywood Blondes-Loose Cannon days, you have to see everything.

Yeah, and he had a heart disease, which I should of mentioned. Kind of like what Darryl Kile of the St. Loius Cardinals died from. Both of there fathers died from a heart attack at a young age too. With Pillman a combination of pain killers and stress just increased the risk even more.

Cruiserweight 3:16
09-03-2004, 11:19 AM
8.3 - L.C. brought up some points about him which I completely forgot, and some which I didn't know

LK
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Rob
09-03-2004, 01:25 PM

slextremely
09-03-2004, 02:43 PM

Splaya
09-03-2004, 02:46 PM

Evil Vito
09-03-2004, 05:42 PM
<font color=goldenrod>9.9</font>

Funky Fly