PDA

View Full Version : When was ECW/WCW bought out?

Xero
09-03-2004, 02:36 PM
I've heard that someone from ECW (I think Joey Styles) still owns, or owned after they debuted in WWE, the ECW library... Obviously, WWE would have to own the library now with all the ECW stuff on the DVDs... Although I could be getting mixed up w/ styles not giving up the rights to resell stuff with his voice...

When was ECW officially bought out by WWE, and what was ECW's last show?

Also, when was WCW OFFCIALLY bought out? How long before the infoumous last Nitro/RAW simulcast? Because there were rumors a few days before saying that they werent bought out, that WWE had bought them out, that someone else bought them out, etc... And, when did WCW announce, on air, that they would be going under? Because I'm wondering if they had advertised the last Nitro as being the last, or it was just announced THAT DAY that they were bought out...

Pepsi Man
09-03-2004, 03:02 PM
I've heard that someone from ECW (I think Joey Styles) still owns, or owned after they debuted in WWE, the ECW library... Obviously, WWE would have to own the library now with all the ECW stuff on the DVDs... Although I could be getting mixed up w/ styles not giving up the rights to resell stuff with his voice...

When was ECW officially bought out by WWE, and what was ECW's last show?

Also, when was WCW OFFCIALLY bought out? How long before the infoumous last Nitro/RAW simulcast? Because there were rumors a few days before saying that they werent bought out, that WWE had bought them out, that someone else bought them out, etc... And, when did WCW announce, on air, that they would be going under? Because I'm wondering if they had advertised the last Nitro as being the last, or it was just announced THAT DAY that they were bought out...
It was announced long in advance that they were going through management/ownership issues on the air, but they just kept making it seem like WCW would simply take a break then return to the air with its new owner. It wasn't until Vince McMahon opened up Nitro that night that it was confirmed on-air that WCW would be sold to someone like Vince McMahon.

Prior to this, both on TV and off, it was widely speculated that Eric Bischoff and a group of investors would buy it.

LK
09-03-2004, 03:48 PM
I don't think the WWE actuall bought ECW. It just went out of business and didn't the WWE just take Heyman and a selection of wrestlers.

KayfabeMan
09-03-2004, 04:12 PM
ECW's final show was in January of 2001 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. The show was a house show / regular event, and they went out without much fanfare - with Justin Credible and The Sandman :roll:

KayfabeMan
09-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Also, Joey Styles is an asshole.

Xero
09-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks... Still didnt answer when ECW was actually bought out, but still, thanks for that info...

DaveWadding
09-03-2004, 04:34 PM
ECW was NEVER BOUGHT OUT. They went bankrupt and Vince bought the tape library and logos and such.

Xero
09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Oh, okay, thanks...

KayfabeMan
09-03-2004, 07:34 PM
My bad, thought the post above me covered it, but when I read it just now it didn't. DaveWadding is right though. Also, the :roll: wasn't meant as a "duh" thing for you, it was meant as a "what a way to go out" :roll: ......

Rob
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Why is Joey Styles an asshole?

The Mackem
09-04-2004, 07:58 AM
CATFIGHT!

Xero
09-04-2004, 09:56 AM
While we're on the subject of WCW/ECW, I just got another few questions...

Does anyone have a list of the tallent who's contracts were bought out when WCW was bought? And, if possible, which ones have been released since the merger...

Also, what ever happened to Kronik? I was watching an old tape, and Kronik (Brian Clark/Adams) were feuding with The Undertaker and Kane...

deathtrap
09-04-2004, 11:16 AM
While we're on the subject of WCW/ECW, I just got another few questions...

Does anyone have a list of the tallent who's contracts were bought out when WCW was bought? And, if possible, which ones have been released since the merger...

Also, what ever happened to Kronik? I was watching an old tape, and Kronik (Brian Clark/Adams) were feuding with The Undertaker and Kane...
If you mean WCW and ECW wrestlers in WWF, here's what I can remember, and I'll try to say if they've been released.

Nova-ECW-get him on TV and let him do the Krunch
Mike Awesome-ECW-released(r)
Tommy Dreamer-ECW-taking over Pritchard
Ernest Miller-WCW-r
Kronik-WCW-r
Bagwell-WCW-r
Rhyno-ECW
Torrie, Stacy-WCW
Lash LeRoux-WCW-r
Lance Storm-WCW
RVD-ECW
Booker T-WCW
Bill DeMott-WCW
Lil Spike Dudley-ECW
Dawn Marie-ECW
Goldberg-WCW-r
Scott Steiner-WCW-r
Rey Mysterio-WCW

Definitely loads more, but all I can think of at the top of my head

Rob
09-04-2004, 12:31 PM
24 contracts were bought out.

Booker T
Lance Storm
Sean O'Haire
Mike Sanders
Chuck Palumbo
Mark Jindrak
Johnny The Bull
Reno
Billy Kidman
Torrie Wilson
Stacy Keibler
Bill DeMott
Lash LeRoux
Elx Skipper
Mike Awesome
Chavo Guerrero
Alan Funk
Chris Kanyon
Shannon Moore
Shane Helms
Shawn Stasiak
Kaz Hayashi
Jamie Noble
Jimmy Yang

Buff Bagwell, Bryan Adams, Bryan Clark, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair, Bill Goldberg, Dustin Rhodes, Curt Hennig, Rey Misterio and Ernest Miller all appeared on WWE TV either after their contracts expired or when they accepted a contract buy out from Time Warner.

Xero
09-04-2004, 12:33 PM

KayfabeMan
09-06-2004, 07:39 AM
They also had bought out Kid Romeo's contract, sent him to HWA for a stint, and then released him. He had some cool matches with Shark Boy and a few others there :y:

LK
09-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Regarding Kronik after their match with Taker and Kane I believe that they were criticised for their performnace and either left or were released.

Savio
09-06-2004, 11:50 AM
I heard they got in a fight backstage.

The Ravishing One
09-06-2004, 02:33 PM
I heard that they were going to be sent to OVW, but they thought it was below them.

Rob
09-06-2004, 02:37 PM
I heard that they were going to be sent to OVW, but they thought it was below them.

Yeah that was it. Bryan Clark didn't care but Adams got them sacked.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
24 contracts were bought out.

Booker T
Lance Storm
Sean O'Haire
Mike Sanders
Chuck Palumbo
Mark Jindrak
Johnny The Bull
Reno
Billy Kidman
Torrie Wilson
Stacy Keibler
Bill DeMott
Lash LeRoux
Elx Skipper
Mike Awesome
Chavo Guerrero
Alan Funk
Chris Kanyon
Shannon Moore
Shane Helms
Shawn Stasiak
Kaz Hayashi
Jamie Noble
Jimmy Yang

Buff Bagwell, Bryan Adams, Bryan Clark, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair, Bill Goldberg, Dustin Rhodes, Curt Hennig, Rey Misterio and Ernest Miller all appeared on WWE TV either after their contracts expired or when they accepted a contract buy out from Time Warner.

What about DDP?

Savio
09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
So what happen to bryan?

Evolution
09-06-2004, 08:23 PM
DDP came in one month before the official InVasion angle, so I guess his contract was signed over with those 24. He has now been released.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-06-2004, 09:13 PM
So what happen to bryan?

He went with Adams.

mrslackalack
09-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I thought Booker T accepted a buyout from AOL/Time Warner to come to the WWE.

Rob
09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
DDP accepted a buy out.

mrslackalack is right - Booker accepted a buy out. Replace his name with Kid Romeo and that's the 24.

SOLE SURVIVOR
09-16-2004, 07:56 PM
In 2001 after ECW went out of business. Vince bought in Dreamer and RVD. From this moment on Vince tried to purchase the rights to the ECW name. Unfortunatly Todd Gordon who still owned the rights declined the offer and restricted Vince's use. hence the reason it became known as the Alliance. Vince was alowed to use the name but sparingly. So The WCW logo was seen more and it became The Alliance. Finally last year Todd Gordon folded and sold the name, rights and tape library to Vince.

Regarding Clark/Adams. After the debalce of the Unforgiven 2001 match between them and Taker VS Kane. Where Taker's frustration was clear to see with the almighty "FUCK SAKE" Vince after the match told Kronick that they were to be sent down to OVW. Adams who considered himself a veteran found this an insult. Both parties parted ways on that night

Rob
09-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Todd Gordon didn't own the ECW name. Paul Heyman owned EVERYTHING. When they went bust, the adminstrators took all the assests. The ECW name and logo were leased by the WWF for a few months until they recently took full control of the name and tape library.

SOLE SURVIVOR
09-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Heyman was part owner. Todd was majority owner. Heyman was given a part of the ownership. Heyman relinquished his control when joining the WWE. Thats the official story as I read it. Tod held out for ages not wanting to hand over in the hope of coming back. He was only on a limited liability. They took the assets to cover Gordons and Heymans injected capital. They still had control of the names and rights. All re-sellable assets were taken