PDA

View Full Version : Match endings gone wrong

The Answer
09-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Besides the Bret Hart screw job in Montreal has their ever been any occurances were wrestlers refused to job during the match or were screw jobbed by the higher up managers.Im wondering if anyone ever witnessed one or read about one(Eg Sabu is supposed to lose to Raven when Raven hits the evenflow but Sabu kicks out and decides not to job)

SuperSlim
09-13-2004, 06:42 PM
there was one involvin Sid and Hogan when Sid was supposed to be pinned after the leg drop but kicked out instead and then they had to do some sort of quick finish to clean up that mess

DaveWadding
09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Not necessarily along the management line...but Crash was supposed to win the Hardcore Free-For-All thing at WM 16(??) instead of Hardcore...but they ran out of time. So, Crash won it back the next night on RAW.

Loose Cannon
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Wendi Richter vs Spider Lady in the WWF in the 80's: It has been said that Richter was suppossed to win, but during the match Spider Lady (who was Mollah under the mask) rolled her up and held her down so she couldn't kick out and won. Richter was having problems with Vince behind the scenes. and left the WWF after the match.

Loose Cannon
09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
there was one involvin Sid and Hogan when Sid was supposed to be pinned after the leg drop but kicked out instead and then they had to do some sort of quick finish to clean up that mess

Shango fucked that up by coming in too late.

Loose Cannon
09-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Also, not a match outcome. But in WCW late 90's, Regal fought Goldberg on Nitro preparing to be Goldber's next victim. Except Regal was pissed at the HUGE push the young guy was getting so Regal played around with Goldberg in the begginning of the match and showed him up by taking Goldberg down with holds and stuff. Regal also worked stiff and no sold Goldberg. Then Regal did the job after all this. Regal was fired by WCW after this.

Shaggy
09-13-2004, 07:02 PM
I forgot when it was but it was between The Rock and Foley I believe and the match was suppose to end but the ref didnt realize it right then so he counted the two and said one of them kciked out when neither of the shoulders went up. Then they had to set something up fast.

mrslackalack
09-13-2004, 07:10 PM
The Brock/Angle match at WM19 was supposed to end with Brock hitting the shooting star press.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-13-2004, 07:52 PM
DDP did the job in his hometown in WCW, after Kevin Nash was too slow breaking up the pin.

Evil Vito
09-13-2004, 08:04 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Kevin Nash tore his quad in the middle of a 10 man tag match. I believe it was Nash, X-Pac, Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Benoit vs. Booker T, Goldust, Bubba Ray Dudley, Spike Dudley, and RVD

Nash tore his quad - Bubba went outside the ring to check on him (totally no-selling X-Pac's kicks to the head in the meantime). While this was happening, Big Show was informing the ref of a new ending and seconds later he planted Booker with the Show Stopper and got the win.</font>

Boondock Saint
09-13-2004, 08:13 PM
I seem to recall a tagtitle match between E & C vs. Rock/Taker. And E & C were supposed to win but Theodore Long messed up the count or something, so Rock and Taker won the belts. Then dropped them on the next show, either RAW or SD, I forget which back to E & C.

PorkSoda
09-13-2004, 08:30 PM
I can never seem to get a thread right....

Royal Rumble 1999 when X-Pac took on Gangrel for Europeon title, X-Pac did like a flying body press and Gangrel reversed and Teddy/Theodore Long counted to 3 but said it was 2. He literally said 3 and X-pacs shoulders were down. The crowd started a "You F-ed Up" Chant after that.

I-Hate-You
09-13-2004, 08:38 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Kevin Nash tore his quad in the middle of a 10 man tag match. I believe it was Nash, X-Pac, Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Benoit vs. Booker T, Goldust, Bubba Ray Dudley, Spike Dudley, and RVD

Nash tore his quad - Bubba went outside the ring to check on him (totally no-selling X-Pac's kicks to the head in the meantime). While this was happening, Big Show was informing the ref of a new ending and seconds later he planted Booker with the Show Stopper and got the win.</font>
Actually HBK ran into the ring and planted Booker with a SCM and then Show chokelsammed him.

Lara Emily
09-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Charles Wright (Papa Shango) was supposed to run out and break up the pin causing the match to end in a DQ but he missed his cue so Sid had to improvise. Hogan was not scheduled to pin Sid that night.

Lara Emily
09-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Also, not a match outcome. But in WCW late 90's, Regal fought Goldberg on Nitro preparing to be Goldber's next victim. Except Regal was pissed at the HUGE push the young guy was getting so Regal played around with Goldberg in the begginning of the match and showed him up by taking Goldberg down with holds and stuff. Regal also worked stiff and no sold Goldberg. Then Regal did the job after all this. Regal was fired by WCW after this.

Other reports are though that just before the match someone told Regal to go out and do a 10 minute match with him.

Transplant
09-14-2004, 06:08 AM
I always thought the Kidman/Malenko match at Souled Out 2000 was a bit of a mystery.

Dave Youell
09-14-2004, 06:49 AM
I always thought the Kidman/Malenko match at Souled Out 2000 was a bit of a mystery.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Man that was funny.

I reckon that was a fuck up though

Xero
09-14-2004, 09:20 AM
What? What happened? :shifty:

Transplant
09-15-2004, 01:43 AM
It was Kidman's first match in the triple threat theatre, where he had to face Dean Malenko in a Catch-as-catch-can (sp?) match first, where it was a basic wrestling match, ie, no fighting on the outside. If someone touched the outside of the ring, they lost. I cant remember if Malenko was thrown over or simply walked out of the ring. The match lasted about 2 minutes. That WAS Malenkos last WCW match beofre cruising to WWF.

HeartBreakMan2k
09-15-2004, 02:16 AM
LOL Regal :love:

targo_the_sho_stopa
09-16-2004, 06:53 AM
again, not really a match ending, but at Survivor Series 2002 (First Chamber Match), in the six man tables match, Rico went up top and started shakin himself on the ropes cos Jeff missed his cue and then he just got fed-up of no reason selling and just shouted out "Come on Jeff, god damn it"

targo_the_sho_stopa
09-16-2004, 06:54 AM
It was Kidman's first match in the triple threat theatre, where he had to face Dean Malenko in a Catch-as-catch-can (sp?) match first, where it was a basic wrestling match, ie, no fighting on the outside. If someone touched the outside of the ring, they lost. I cant remember if Malenko was thrown over or simply walked out of the ring. The match lasted about 2 minutes. That WAS Malenkos last WCW match beofre cruising to WWF.

This was actually meant to happen, Malenko left the ring to re-group and got DQ'ed for leaving.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-16-2004, 08:27 AM
I can never seem to get a thread right....

Royal Rumble 1999 when X-Pac took on Gangrel for Europeon title, X-Pac did like a flying body press and Gangrel reversed and Teddy/Theodore Long counted to 3 but said it was 2. He literally said 3 and X-pacs shoulders were down. The crowd started a "You F-ed Up" Chant after that.

Gangrel got screwed. :'(

Fox
09-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Bash at the Beach 2000
Jeff Jarrett vs. Hulk Hogan for the World Heavyweight Championship

Before the show took place, WCW's new head booker Vince Russo and Hulk Hogan had been in talks all day long about the finish to the match. Russo wanted to keep the belt on Jarrett because he had been doing a great job with it and giving the title credibility, but Hogan wanted the title because... well, because that's what he does. Finally, after Hogan flashed his "creative control card," Russo caved in and told Hogan he could win the match.

Jarrett, the champ, came out first and waited for Hogan. After the sound of the bell, Jeff lay down in the middle of the ring and waited. Hogan got on the mic and yelled "Is this your deal, Russo? You know, it's cause of bullshit like this that this company's in the shape it's in!" With that, Hogan stepped a foot on top of Jarrett for the 1-2-3, and was awarded the WCW Title. Jarrett sprang up instantly and walked to the back with tears in his eyes and anguish on his face. Forcing such a legend in the business as Hulk Hogan to pin him, embarassing the man in the process, must have been one of the hardest things he'd ever done. Hogan walked back through the curtain, and that was the last time we'd ever see him in WCW.

After that, Russo cut a rousing promo on Hogan and his backstage politics before booking Jeff Jarrett vs. Booker T for the WCW Title, which Booker T won.

I guess this wasn't a match ending gone wrong. It was a whole situation gone wrong.

Fox
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
This was actually meant to happen, Malenko left the ring to re-group and got DQ'ed for leaving.

No, I still have this video and there's no way that finish was supposed to happen that way. Malenko stepped out of the ring and lost the match, but it was obvious in he and Kidman's facial expressions, not to mention the announcers' bumbling cover ups, that it was a fuck up.

Disturbed316
09-16-2004, 03:19 PM
I forgot when it was but it was between The Rock and Foley I believe and the match was suppose to end but the ref didnt realize it right then so he counted the two and said one of them kciked out when neither of the shoulders went up. Then they had to set something up fast.

I think your thinking of Rock vs Angle at No Way Out.

RemyRed
09-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By Mr Sunday Night
Bash at the Beach 2000

Before the show took place, WCW's new head booker Vince Russo and Hulk Hogan had been in talks all day long about the finish to the match. Russo wanted to keep the belt on Jarrett because he had been doing a great job with it and giving the title credibility, but Hogan wanted the title because... well, because that's what he does. Finally, after Hogan flashed his "creative control card," Russo caved in and told Hogan he could win the match.

Jarrett, the champ, came out first and waited for Hogan. After the sound of the bell, Jeff lay down in the middle of the ring and waited. Hogan got on the mic and yelled "Is this your deal, Russo? You know, it's cause of bullshit like this that this company's in the shape it's in!" With that, Hogan stepped a foot on top of Jarrett for the 1-2-3, and was awarded the WCW Title. Jarrett sprang up instantly and walked to the back with tears in his eyes and anguish on his face. Forcing such a legend in the business as Hulk Hogan to pin him, embarassing the man in the process, must have been one of the hardest things he'd ever done. Hogan walked back through the curtain, and that was the last time we'd ever see him in WCW.

After that, Russo cut a rousing promo on Hogan and his backstage politics before booking Jeff Jarrett vs. Booker T for the WCW Title, which Booker T won.

I guess this wasn't a match ending gone wrong. It was a whole situation gone wrong.
Which is why I think that Vince Russo didn't kill WCW, he was trying to give the younger guys a chance. I think WCW was already dead by the time he became head booker (Although the Arquette thing was still a bad idea.) But yeah there were a lot of situations like that in WCW.

TJ4LIFE
09-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Not sure if it was an angle or not, but when Chaz(Mosh from the Head Bangers) was in his Beaver Cleavage gimmick he got sick of it mid match and just left

Disturbed316
09-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Droz vs D'lo Brown on Smackdown :shifty:

Favre4Ever
09-16-2004, 05:43 PM
I thought that the Rock vs. Austin at W19 was supposedto have at leas gone on a little bit longer,if not an Austin win, but it looked like after the Rock Bottom, Austin couldn't get u on his own, so the Rock Rock Bottomed him again an got the win.

LK
09-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Russo definetly had his hand in finishing WCW off Remy. The Arquette title reign, his own title reign where unlike Vince he actually booked himself to look a real threat, copying WWE angles, crappy angles like MIA, etc.

LK
09-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Wasn't it only last year when HHH was against Hurricane and he got the pedigree and Hebner counted to two but then stopped and then realised that he was supposed to count three and then made the three count.

Cool King
09-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Bash at the Beach 2000

Wasn’t that passage out of Hulk Hogan’s Autobiography? (but with some words changed)

SOLE SURVIVOR
09-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I always though Sid was supposed to stay down after the leg drop. Dude to the fact that Sid kicked out. Shango was sent out to force a DQ. SO Sid was the one in the wrong. Thats what I've read multiple times

JeremyTB29
09-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Austin VS Owen Hart at Survivor series(I think) for the IC title.When Owen gave Austin a piledriver and nearly broke his neck.I don't think Austin was suppose to win by a rollup.

TJ4LIFE
09-16-2004, 07:47 PM
ummm....that did break Austins neck. Thats what started all of his medical problems, and basically why he doesnt wrestle any more

Corkscrewed
09-17-2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah... that's pretty much a given and known.

Fox
09-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Wasn’t that passage out of Hulk Hogan’s Autobiography? (but with some words changed)

Nope, wrote that myself.

Stickman
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Austin VS Owen Hart at Survivor series(I think) for the IC title.When Owen gave Austin a piledriver and nearly broke his neck.I don't think Austin was suppose to win by a rollup.

The ending to that match was horrible. Owen basically just laid down and Austin had no weight on him. It was ugly. They should have just told the ref to tell Owen to pin him.

Lara Emily
09-18-2004, 02:15 PM
I always though Sid was supposed to stay down after the leg drop. Dude to the fact that Sid kicked out. Shango was sent out to force a DQ. SO Sid was the one in the wrong. Thats what I've read multiple times

Nope.

Nark Order
09-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I seem to remember a match with Jacquline interfering where she proceded to climb over Teddy Long (Actually on top of him), hit one of the women with her Women's belt then acted like nothing happened. No DQ or anything, it was shit.

Man, Teddy was a horrible referee... :lol:

DaveWadding
09-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Balee dat, playa.

Synergy
09-18-2004, 05:05 PM
There were two at Judgement Day in 2000.

First of all Edge forgot to stay down for the three count in his six man tag match (team AEC v Rikishi and Too Cool) but the ref counted the three anyway and the announcers just ignored it.

Then in the main event iron man match.Taker was sent out too late, with the falls tied at 5-5, supposedly he was meant to chokeslam and tombstone HHH leading to HBK DQing the Rock, only for Rocky to crawl on top of Hunter. The ref was supposed to then be about to count the three but the time would expire so HHH would win the title. Instead Taker came out too late and only got the chokeslam in inside the time limit. Luckily HBK could clearly been seen seeing him do this so they just DQ'd Rocky and HHH won 6-5. Not sure what they would have done if Michaels had missed it though!

Semetery
09-19-2004, 10:28 AM
I can't remember what PPV, but it was Jericho vs. somebody or other, and Jericho went for the Lionsault but the middle rope gave way, so instead of him winnin' the match with the Lionsault as intended, the superstars had ta improvise and Jericho eventually won the match with a moonsault, although it was difficult ta climb to the top rope without a middle one of course.

Evolution
09-19-2004, 11:33 AM
The ending to that match was horrible. Owen basically just laid down and Austin had no weight on him. It was ugly. They should have just told the ref to tell Owen to pin him.
This was at SummerSlam '97, the same event where Bret won the title from Undertaker with Michaels as ref.

Under any other circumstances, they would have made Owen pin Austin, but there was a stipulation on the match. If austin lost, he would literally kiss Owen's bare ass on TV that night. If this had happened at that point of Austin's career, it would have been very damaging to Austin's persona as a no-bullsh*t smash-mouth SOB. Therefore, Austin HAD to win the match.

But it was a hideous finish.

Thriller
09-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I can't remember what PPV, but it was Jericho vs. somebody or other, and Jericho went for the Lionsault but the middle rope gave way, so instead of him winnin' the match with the Lionsault as intended, the superstars had ta improvise and Jericho eventually won the match with a moonsault, although it was difficult ta climb to the top rope without a middle one of course.

I believe he was fighting Rhyno.

Loose Cannon
09-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Bash at the Beach 2000

That whole thing was a worked shoot, except for some minor things I believe

Hired Hitman
09-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I thought he did the lionsault from the top rope, a big jump to the top rope.

*deja vu*

Semetery
09-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Well the Lionsault basically is a moonsault but done when runnin' an' from the middle rope. So it just looked like a normal moonsault but with a bit of extra air time.