PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow

YOUR Hero
09-15-2004, 11:15 PM
I hear it took 10 years to film and produce. That they wanted to get it perfect. Other than that, has anyone heard anything else about this movie? Anyone planning on seeing it?

Shaggy
09-15-2004, 11:39 PM
The concept of the movie was sold by a guy using $5000, a video camera and a green screen in his living room....read that from FHM magazine. Not a bad way to get a movie sold. It looks good and has had good ratings. I really didnt want to see it at first but now that I have seen alot more previews for it I am very interested in it.

Buzzkill
09-15-2004, 11:39 PM
It looks really weird and stylish, could be good or bad.

Boondock Saint
09-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Prolly check it out.

Boomer
09-16-2004, 12:42 AM
I think the previews are horrible. They make it seem really cheesy. However, I have heard nothing but praise about the film. So we will have to see.

DegenerationY
09-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Gwyneth Paltrow and Anjelina Jolie annoy the heck out of me. Plus I hate the fact it was 100% green screen.

The Mask
09-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Angelina Jolie is in it, so it's obviously going to suck.

Bo
09-16-2004, 02:54 AM
Has a differnt look to it but Ill wait till dvd.

Dave Youell
09-16-2004, 04:11 AM
With this film, didn't they complete 95% of it and then draft in actors after?

Funky Fly
09-16-2004, 04:22 AM
I think the previews are horrible. They make it seem really cheesy. However, I have heard nothing but praise about the film. So we will have to see.
Basically my opinion also. I'm getting Judge Dredd vibes from the previews. That is not good.

CosaNostra
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
C'mon Funky, Judge Dredd has one of the greatest lines EVER:

"The law?! I AM the law". :cool:

Shaggy
09-16-2004, 10:20 AM
As much as I hate to admit it I was actually a fan of Judge Dredd. It wasnt the best movie ever made but atleast it was entertaining.

Adder
09-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Everything but the actors and what they touch is CG.

Lara Emily
09-16-2004, 12:46 PM
It looks interesting, given it's style. I love 40s Pulp too so it's gonna be fun.

loopydate
09-16-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm excited about it. There are some really good actors in it, and the premise seems really fun. I'm definitely checking this one out.

el fregadero
09-16-2004, 02:14 PM
That's one way to waste ten years.

tucsonspeed6
09-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Producer's diary Day one: "Dear diary. I really want to get this movie perfect. I'm gonna make this the best summer blockbuster of all time. More later.

Day 2054: "Dear diary. The casting director has cast Angelina Jolie......this is going to be a long ten years."

Day 3503: "Ok....ok......so Spiderman 2 came out and proved that summer blockbusters can be awardwinning. That damn movie is probably going to be a classic in its genre. DAMMIT if that Jolie bitch would take ONE freaking acting lesson we'd have this movie done with at least a year ago. Where'd I leave that number for Mike Danton's buddy at?"

Gouda
09-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I think the whole thing looks very neat and would be interesting to see. However I agree with some of you when you said the story sounds cheesy...

However, it was meant to be like that I think. It's supposed to be like one of those old serial films...

..... Or something.

YOUR Hero
09-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Starts today doesn't it?

Champion of Europa
09-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Going to see it in 45 minutes.

YOUR Hero
09-17-2004, 08:59 PM
You'll have to do a review when you get back.

Champion of Europa
09-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Champion of Europa's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Review.

***1/2 out of ****

Wow. Thats the first words that came out of my mouth after seeing Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow. This movie is an all out visual assault. I originally had some doubt as to how an all blue screen movie would look, but about 20 minutes into the movie, I forgot there was a blue screen and become used to the surroundings of the characters as something that could be genuine.

In the very beginning of the movie when Polly (Paltrow) is out to go chase the big story that is this movie, her boss attempts to stop her by telling her that he knows she is up to no good. She simply says that she's going to a movie. He doesn't quite believe her, and she replies, "It's just a movie. I'll bring you popcorn."

The above quote can be used to summarize the entire movie. Don't look too deep into the plot and just enjoy yourself. It's just a movie. A fine movie. I will certainly give this a rent when it comes out on DVD now that I have the plot out of the way and can actually marvel at the busy CGI backgrounds.

Just because the movie was fun times, didn't mean that it was without flaws. The dialogue at times was a bit too much like a novel than something anyone would actually say. That tended to take me out of the film. Sometimes, Polly knew a bit more than it would make sense for her to know. Actually, in general, Polly annoyed me. If I had a dollar for each time she was in a dangerous situation and went back for her camera, I'd have about 8 dollars.

Off the subject of Polly, I felt when they were going for suspense and danger, but I never really felt that Sky Captain was in much danger. I knew he'd make it out of it, and knew there wouldn't be anything that would really surprise me.

Finally, I really didn't buy the whole reason for why Dr. Totenkopf was destroying cities around the world. It just seemed a bit tacked on to give reasoning for all of the awesome action scenes.

All in all, I really enjoyed the movie and I would reccomend it to others.

P.S. For those of you going to see the movie because of Angelina Jolie, she only has a total of about fifteen minutes of screen time out of the hour and forty-six minutes.

For those of you not going to see the movie because of Angelina Jolie, she only has a total of about fifteen minutes of screen time out of the hour and forty-six minutes. Enjoy the awesome that is Jude Law.

--------------------

That is my attempt at trying to be a professional movie reviewer. :-\

RoXer
09-18-2004, 03:47 PM
At times...

Yeah, gunna see it this weekend.

Champion of Europa
09-18-2004, 03:59 PM
At times...

Yeah, gunna see it this weekend.

Hey, I didn't do any proofreading or anything. :mad:

AareDub
09-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow are two actresses I avoid seeing unless I absolutely have to. The two of them together in a movie = a must NOT see for me. Plus, the previews make the movie look awful.

RoXer
09-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey, I didn't do any proofreading or anything. :mad:
:love:

Champion of Europa
09-18-2004, 09:08 PM
:love:

I changed it, just for you. :p

RoXer
09-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I changed it, just for you. :p
:kiss:

slextremely
09-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Jude Law is in it can't be THAT bad

Lara Emily
09-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Fucking awesome!!!!! 40's Pulp sci-fi to the core, perfectly and I mean perfectly done. Platrow who I usually detest was bang on. Jude Law was kickass and Angelina was great. The colouring of the film was flawless, it was just fantastic in every way. BTW look for a cameo from Sir Lawrence Olivier.

COE you commented about the dialgoue feeling too much like a novel as something you didn't like, I loved the dialogue for that reason, this is litteraly 40s pulp ficition borught to life. I was in awe. Pulp novels are one of my fav genres.

Dark Kane
09-25-2004, 04:34 PM
The only reason I would see this movie is for Angelina Jolie, but since she just have a cameo in it, no sense of seeing it in theater, I'll wait for DVD.

Angelina Jolie is my favorite actress.