PDA

View Full Version : The Used - In Love and Death

AareDub
09-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Ok, so the album has been leaked and of course I couldn't resist downloading it for now. Has anybody else checked it out yet? First of all I'll say I'm a BIG fan of The Used, and some of you probably read how excited I was about the album once I heard "Take it Away." However, I have to say DAMN! This CD is pretty fucking awful. Maybe its a quick judgement because I've only listened to it 2 or 3 times all the way through, but I don't really have the will to listen to it much more.

Take it Away and I'm a Fake are good, but it's hard to say much else positive about the rest. The second song, I Caught Fire, is kinda growing on me even though it is not their style.

I really don't know what to say, other than I hope this is not what the genre is evolving into.

DegenerationY
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
What does it sound like?

AareDub
09-18-2004, 07:35 PM
It reminds me of bands like Senses Fail who make really pop sounding songs, then start screaming at the end and expect it to be hardcore or something. Its a pretty upbeat sounding cd with, in some cases, very poor lyrics. It just feels like a step backwards to me.

FakeLaser
09-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Doesn't sound like it's gonna be that great if it's like Senses Fail.

MVP
09-19-2004, 12:39 AM
To me, Take it Away doesn't sound like it should be a single, and that's not a good sign for the rest of the songs on the album. I haven't heard them yet, but I'm not very optimistic, and I loved their first album.

Danny Electric
09-19-2004, 12:53 AM
I love Senses Fail :'(

AareDub
09-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I love Senses Fail :'(

I like them too, I wasn't trying to bash them. It's just that a lot of their songs sound really pop to me, then they start screaming in the end. I'm still listening to this Used cd and I'm thinking Senses Fail isn't even a good comparison. It really reminds me of something else, but I can't put my finger on it. I keep thinking maybe Vertical Horizon or something, but I don't think that's quite it. Maybe it's more of a Third Eye Blind (for the record I like both of those bands too lol).

There are some pretty good songs on the cd, some that are their style and some that aren't. I just want to get the point across that there isn't a single song on the album that reminds me at all of their last cd. I guess the closest thing to their last cd would be a song called "Soundeffects and Overdramatics."

mitchables
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
It was released here yesterday so I went and picked it up, and I couldn't disagree with you more. I love this CD. Yeah, some of the songs are "poppy" or whatever, but so what? Overall it's a really nice CD.

The guitar work has improved ten fold (:love: Quinn :love:</>). Bert's voice sounds amazing. The drums are really nice, with some nice little fills here and there but nothing too showy, and the bass is very solid. I don't know what you're complaining about. To me, it still sounds like The Used, it's just this CD is more "Poetic Tragedy"/"Blue and Yellow"/"Buried Me Alive" than "Maybe Memories"/"A Box Full of Sharp Objects"/"Say Days Away". Nothing wrong with that.

Fucking yes. :love:

mitchables
10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
I like them too, I wasn't trying to bash them. It's just that a lot of their songs sound really pop to me, then they start screaming in the end.

Just on a side note, so what? Have you got any idea how hard it is to scream your way through an entire song as well as having to sing the fucking thing? Bert's vocals aren't low-range you know, it's pretty much a strain for the poor guy anyway. Appreciate what he's giving you of his voice.

And I think "pop" is the wrong word for it. :$ Mellow songs with less screaming do not = pop. :-\