PDA

View Full Version : Peter Forsberg not playing in NHL this year... no matter what.

YOUR Hero
09-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Even if the lockout is over 'today', he's going to play for MODO. Now we've heard rumblings about this last year. Now it's come to be... Do you think other players will make similar moves?

DaveWadding
09-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Foppa :(

road doggy dogg
09-18-2004, 08:17 PM
To be honest I really couldn't give a shit what they do. They get all pissy because they're "not making enough money", then once the league folds they jump ship the first chance they can get. I don't buy any of this "making a living" bullshit at all. When you're making $3-4 million a year for playing a fucking game, you're not going on welfare any time soon. It furiates me to no end how players can be so unloyal and selfish to the league, and make no attempt whatsoever on trying to help it re-establish itself. Guys like Thornton who are joining European leagues, but have opt-out clauses that allow them to come back to the NHL if the lockout ends piss me off. They're making no attempt at trying to help the league that "made" them (granted they are GREAT talents, but would not be as known worldwide if it wasn't for the NHL). They have no respect, and are just going where the money is. Pisses me off.

[/rant]

road doggy dogg
09-18-2004, 08:18 PM
ANYWAYS, I'm sure a number of players have similar feelings as well, so I doubt Forsberg is the only one. Like Jagr for example, I believe his father is the president of a league over in Europe, so if he plays there and really likes it he may not come back either.

BCWWF
09-19-2004, 01:50 AM
IMO guys like Forsberg and Jagr would be exceptions. Both are pretty close to the end of their careers, granted Forsberg can still do <b>great</b> things on the ice, but he doesn't have much time left, so if he wants to finish it at home then I really have no problem.

Took
09-19-2004, 02:44 AM
Jagr is only 31, maybe 32...with his talent he can easily play another 7 or 8 years no doubt about it.

No, Jagr will play in the best league in the world if he can. I cant see him not doing so, he seems like the type of guy who wouldnt want his last few seasons that he had to be the end of his career. He seems like he wants to prove he's still the best, and I think he could be.

DaveWadding
09-19-2004, 02:48 AM
IMO guys like Forsberg and Jagr would be exceptions. Both are pretty close to the end of their careers, granted Forsberg can still do great things on the ice, but he doesn't have much time left, so if he wants to finish it at home then I really have no problem.
Forsberg is only 31. :|

BCWWF
09-19-2004, 03:30 AM
I thought he was planning on retiring though. He took the whole season off a few years ago, and I thought he was going to leave the NHL regardless and finish his career back home?

DaveWadding
09-19-2004, 04:00 AM
Not what I read.

MoRcHeEbA
09-19-2004, 05:00 AM
he took a year off cause he could hardly walk

BCWWF
09-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Even so I think he was planning on retiring from the NHL after last season

The CyNick
09-19-2004, 08:10 PM
People have a right to earn a living no matter how much money they've made in the past.

YOUR Hero
09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
yes they do, but not at the expense of their company.

BCWWF
09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
That added nothing to this discussion :|

road doggy dogg
09-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Well if you're retarded, then you're right, it adds nothing.

There is nothing wrong with trying to earn a living. When you're a greedy piece of shit who would sooner see your employer out of business than take a paycut, then you don't deserve a fucking penny from them.

"Making a living" doesn't = playing hockey. There are millions of people in North America who make a living doing normal jobs, maybe they can try that :)

MoRcHeEbA
09-19-2004, 09:13 PM
news to me, I thought everyone in canada played hockey for a living.. that and clubbed seals part-time

road doggy dogg
09-19-2004, 09:28 PM
LOL what does a Jew know

Go back to banking :roll:

MoRcHeEbA
09-19-2004, 09:34 PM
accounting :roll:

YOUR Hero
09-19-2004, 09:36 PM
When asked about the instability of certain franchises, I've heard players state team relocation is a normal occurance in sport.

Kapoutman
09-22-2004, 02:17 AM
Seriously, putting a salary cap would not be the end. I have to agree with Mike Ribeiro when he said last season:

"No hockey player deserves to be paid 6 millions a year. That's ridiculous."

Of course, Ribeiro got in troubles with the NHLPA after that, and I think that the same thing is happening right now to John Madden. He said he would be willing to have a salary cap if it was slightly higher, and now he is in trouble too.

road doggy dogg
09-22-2004, 02:20 AM
They actually got in trouble for saying a cap is a good idea? Wow, talk about being closed-minded and stubborn (the NHLPA).

YOUR Hero
09-22-2004, 11:04 AM
"they're doing it for the young guys"

Uh huh...

BCWWF
09-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Just like Metallica sued Napster for the local bands :roll:

The CyNick
09-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Well if you're retarded, then you're right, it adds nothing.

There is nothing wrong with trying to earn a living. When you're a greedy piece of shit who would sooner see your employer out of business than take a paycut, then you don't deserve a fucking penny from them.

"Making a living" doesn't = playing hockey. There are millions of people in North America who make a living doing normal jobs, maybe they can try that :)

But at the same time if the NHL isn't going to do business, why shoudl anyone have to sit aorund and do nothing? If guys can get a deal elsewhere, I say good for them, and good for the league who signs them.

As for the scenario where the NHL resumes, again why is it so wrong to find work outside the NHL? If legally Forsberg can play for a team in Sweden, and that makes him happy, then I say more power to him. Its the NHL's fault for opening the door to let him walk out.

And the whole "they can get other jobs" thing is a tad absurd, I mean if your a hockey player and you can get work as a hockey player, why shouldn't you be able to take that job?

Kapoutman
09-23-2004, 01:25 AM
They actually got in trouble for saying a cap is a good idea? Wow, talk about being closed-minded and stubborn (the NHLPA).

Exactly. I remember they wanted to give them some kind of sanction. That was the big talk around here a while ago obviously because Ribeiro plays for Montreal, but NHLPA backed out of it because they realized they would look bad. Too late if you ask me.

YOUR Hero
09-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Markus Naslund who is also playing for MODO this year. Almost didn't, in fact I think he's still fighting with the Swedish goverment (or whoever) because he doesn't want to play there and pay all the taxes that he'll have to. Sorry, but that's got to be the worst time to complain about taxes.

And Cynick, you may think the NHL isn't going to go out of business, but you know what? It just might in a lot of cties unless something is done. The USA, at the best of times, doesn't give a shit about the NHL. Look how many State side franchises are struugling at the gate and it doesn't take long to realize they league may begin to contract... Actually, maybe it should. Once the league looses teams, guess what? There are less players needed. Do you think the NHLPA would be comfortable with that instead of a a cap?

BCWWF
09-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Why can't they get replacement players like they did in baseball? People in Canada, Minnesota, Detroit etc would still show...

Kapoutman
09-23-2004, 02:50 AM
Why can't they get replacement players like they did in baseball? People in Canada, Minnesota, Detroit etc would still show...
Because they would need about 800 replacement players. That would make the quality of the game very poor.

YOUR Hero
09-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Good 'Ol JR, Jeremy Roenick, is going to fight the Philadelphia Flyers for his 7.5 million dollars.