PDA

View Full Version : Austin vs The Rock: Wrestlemania X7

The Naitch
09-21-2004, 08:05 PM
When Vince came out, what did you think was gonna happen?

(I was on vacation, didn't catch it, until I saw it on tape a month later. I already knew the result by going on WWE.com before this, but never saw it live.) :mad:

Disturbed316
09-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I first thought, why is he out here, then it was pretty clear that someone was gonna turn. Didn't surprise me to see Austin turn really :-\

Volchok
09-21-2004, 08:10 PM
i thought he was comming out to help Rock... i was in utter shock when he nailed Rock with the chair... but i started laughing hearing JR screaming at the top of his lungs " Austin just shook hands with the devil himself.."

Head
09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Austin heel turn.

It was great, but still pretty obvious at that point.

John la Rock
09-21-2004, 09:04 PM
The heel turn at WM X-Seven was good but Austin's heel run absolutely sucked

Sensei Of Mattitude
09-21-2004, 10:47 PM
I was there live, right near the stage and I was completely confused on why he was coming down. Then when he started to help Stone Cold, I was shocked and wondering what was happening. At that point, I COMPLETELY EXPECTED FOR AUSTIN TO HIT MCMAHON WITH A CHAIR but it never happened.

When Austin got the pin, I was happy because I wanted Austin to win despite the heel turn but I was disappointed on the actual finish when Stone Cold when crazy with the chair shots.

I was expecting the same result of the XV match which I was also at being it was in Philadelphia.

The CyNick
09-22-2004, 01:15 AM
It was fairly common knowledge on the net that Austin was dfoing a heel turn, so I expected it to happen.

It didn't work anyway, if you watch that show over (which I have many times) you'll see Austin didn't really turn heel because of the fans, if anything McMahon turned face.

That started months of having to turn the fans every single week and began the downfall of professional wrestling in North America.

An example of the WWE overthinking things, followed by not thinking at all.

Fox
09-22-2004, 02:05 AM
That was a five star match, so I didn't really care why Vince was out there. Even the lame chair shot ending didn't bother me.

Probably the best WrestleMania of all time.

LK
09-22-2004, 04:13 AM
I wasn't sure but after Austin going on about how he needed the titlr it was pretty obvious that Austin was going to turn.

Shaggy
09-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I was there live...not as close as SOM was but still there. When Vince came to the ring I didnt know what to expect. But at first I was thinking maybe he is gonna help out Rock. Then when Austin got the chair I thought it was an accident. But when Vince got in the ring and they shook hands it was funny because people around me were booing and I was on my feet going FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES!!!!! I was waiting forever for Austin to turn heel and this was the big moment.

RGWhat316
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I wasn't on the net as much at the time, and being a huge Austin fan, I was shocked at the heel turn. Got to watch it live on ppv at a friends house, and when Vince came to the ring, I knew somebody was turning. But I figured it would be Rock since they were in Texas and the crowd was already on the side of Austin anyways. But looking back on it, there were more signs of a heel turn coming with Austin as he would say stuff like "I neeed to beat you Rock. I need to win more than you can ever imagine."

The Naitch
09-23-2004, 02:40 AM
It was fairly common knowledge on the net that Austin was dfoing a heel turn, so I expected it to happen.

It didn't work anyway, if you watch that show over (which I have many times) you'll see Austin didn't really turn heel because of the fans, if anything McMahon turned face.

That started months of having to turn the fans every single week and began the downfall of professional wrestling in North America.

An example of the WWE overthinking things, followed by not thinking at all.
Good stuff. What puzzles me is WHY they didn't make Triple H turn face (the next night on RAW) and have him go against Austin, instead of being his lackey bitch :nono:

Batsu
09-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Good stuff. What puzzles me is WHY they didn't make Triple H turn face (the next night on RAW) and have him go against Austin, instead of being his lackey bitch :nono:

because it made SENSE.

The Rock was gone; HHH was the most popular wrestler under him and Austin...the fans were clamoring for HHH to be "the next Austin".

but they just kept HHH stagnant...and a lackey winning titles he has no business holding at that. That was the biggest blow to Austin's heel turn right there. If HHH was continually screwed over by an evil Austin... imagine what kind of great TV that would have been.

Then the Invasion came and plans really went haywire.