PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP to launch at $300

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Yup... with nothing. It'll be out December in Japan and early-mid 2005 for USA and PAL

An Icon
09-22-2004, 01:01 PM
What is this the new Playstation?

Hardkore Kidd J
09-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I think it might be like a Game Boy but plays PS2 games instead I could be wrong. A portable Playstation god, I need to get a job so I can buy this.

road doggy dogg
09-22-2004, 01:12 PM
LOL gg Sony

Hmmmm a PSP for $300 US, or a better handheld with better games, for half the price, and it comes with two games... hard choice :'(

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Playstation Portable

In it's current state, it has 2 hour batter life for playing games or watching films though :( Although it also has about the graphical power of a PS2, while the DS (with it's 12 hour battery life) has about the power just above a Nintendo 64

LoDownM
09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
I will be getting one. Not when they first come out. A few months after though. But I still want a PSP. Hell, I woulda paid $700 for a PS2 when they first came out if I had that much.

Tornado
09-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Wow, good job Sony, double the price and no games. I'd like a PSP, but at the price, no way. I'm gonna be much happier with a DS.

DS
09-22-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll be getting one.

Xero
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I'll get one, MAYBE when the price drops DRAMATICLY... The only game that even remotely exites me is the MGS one, and it has a fucking card system... A FUCKING CARDS SYSTEM FOR MGS...

I'm not buying a $300 portable DVD player/game system (When it doesnt even PLAY DVDs, you have to buy special discs)... If I wanted one, I'd buy one for considerably less... Hell, I've seen them going in the $150 range...

DS for me, thank you very much :y:

mitch_h
09-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know what the games are going to look like? Are they going to be all 3D like a little portable playstation. If so then I definetly will not be buying one... I mean the reason why I love the Gameboy advance is because the games look and play much different then console games.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know what the games are going to look like? Are they going to be all 3D like a little portable playstation. If so then I definetly will not be buying one... I mean the reason why I love the Gameboy advance is because the games look and play much different then console games.
It's a 3D console, yup, but so is the DS.

but with the DS you can play old GBA games and has 2D games like a brand new Mario and Wario Ware DS

Ninti the Mad
09-22-2004, 04:37 PM
Imagine playing FF tactics on the road.

Xero
09-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Imagine playing FF tactics on the road.
Dont have to, I got the GBA version :shifty:

(I know it's not the same game, but meh :p)

Arashi Kage
09-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah, Playstation Portable

In it's current state, it has 2 hour batter life for playing games or watching films though :( Although it also has about the graphical power of a PS2, while the DS (with it's 12 hour battery life) has about the power just above a Nintendo 64

Remember that DS is suppposedly not the successor to the GBA, it's the "third pillar" between GBA and GameCube. So who knows how the next GameBoy will compare to PSP?

Xero
09-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Remember that DS is suppposedly not the successor to the GBA, it's the "third pillar" between GBA and GameCube. So who knows how the next GameBoy will compare to PSP?
That's a bunch of bullshit... Nintendo can deny it all they want, they KNOW it's the GBA's successor, ONLY IF it suceeds and is popular... If it flops (Which I seriously doubt), they will go back to an old GameBoy format, one screen, updated system, etc...

I'm sure that the GBA will now start to lose more and more titles in favor of the DS... The DS even plays GBA games, which is a big tip off and saying "Buy the DS, you dont need a GBA anymore!"...

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 06:03 PM
That's a bunch of bullshit... Nintendo can deny it all they want, they KNOW it's the GBA's successor, ONLY IF it suceeds and is popular... If it flops (Which I seriously doubt), they will go back to an old GameBoy format, one screen, updated system, etc...

I'm sure that the GBA will now start to lose more and more titles in favor of the DS... The DS even plays GBA games, which is a big tip off and saying "Buy the DS, you dont need a GBA anymore!"...
Seeing how popular the GBA is, you'll probably see what happened with the PSOne, lots of kids games so poor kids can play it on ther GBAs and rich kids on their spanky new DS's

Funky Fly
09-22-2004, 06:22 PM
LOL

PSP is in trouble. Anyone remember the Wonderswan? It was better tan the Game Boy Color (both graphically and gamewise), but Nintendo crushed them. Now here's a system that costs DOUBLE what the DS is and doesn't come with any games. Sure it's got better graphics, but the handheld market has never been about that.

I give PSP a year.

Xero
09-22-2004, 06:38 PM
The only real competitor for the GameBoy was the GameGear... That lasted a while, but Nintendo has always, and most likely will always rule the handheld market...

DS
09-22-2004, 06:56 PM
LOL

PSP is in trouble. Anyone remember the Wonderswan? It was better tan the Game Boy Color (both graphically and gamewise), but Nintendo crushed them. Now here's a system that costs DOUBLE what the DS is and doesn't come with any games. Sure it's got better graphics, but the handheld market has never been about that.

I give PSP a year.
Never been about graphics? I think that's pretty much the exact thing the portable business has been about. The reason the GameGear did so well was because it was in color. Sure, the games have a lot to do with it and both the PSP and DS have a decent lineup to start with but graphics are going to play a huge part in this. The original Playstation was about $350 when it came out compared to the Super Nintendo when it was at around $100 and now look where Sony is.

I think once they get all the people they can to buy the system at the $300 mark that they'll have a price drop and play it out from there.

Scarface
09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Neither portable sounds all that valid imo. One is a gimmick whore and the other is a ps2 in a smaller box for a lot more money. Hopefully they'll both die off and GBA2 will arrive.

Penner
09-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Never been about graphics? I think that's pretty much the exact thing the portable business has been about. The reason the GameGear did so well was because it was in color. [..]
Hey... where's Game Gear now?

DS
09-22-2004, 08:13 PM
It died because it sucked. Hence me saying that you need good games.

road doggy dogg
09-22-2004, 08:58 PM
3D on like a 5" is fucking pointless. That's why Game Boy has always been successful. They have games with simple interfaces that work on a small screen. I can't for the life of me fathom playing a game like Gran Turismo on a fucking tiny screen like that. I'm a bit iffy on the Metroid game as well, but if it comes free with the DS, then hey why not

DS
09-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah I completely understand that but a lot of people want to go for graphics. I'm not saying I base a system off of graphics but I think that's what a lot of people are looking for in these. Just have to see how they play out.

Funky Fly
09-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Most people I see with portables are kids aged 6 - 13. I highly doubt graphics are that big an issue.

Gonzo
09-22-2004, 10:33 PM
If it is $300 Sony can hold their hand on their ass for all I care.

DS
09-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Yeah and I completely understand where you're coming from but these seemed to be aimed at a more mature group. The 6-13 age group will definitly be a big part, don't get me wrong, but with all the features like the blue tooth multiplayer and the DVD player, etc. these go to a much broader age group now.

I get what you're saying and you're right but I think with these portable systems the graphics will play a larger role.

Gonzo
09-22-2004, 10:49 PM
$300 dollars for that, that shit better have like a hook up with NASA or something. Seriously.

Ninti the Mad
09-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Yeah, how much does a portable DVD player go for?

Around 200-300 bucks.

So a portable DVD player/Game Console is awesome.

The price isnt a big deal.

SuperSlim
09-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I'll buy myself one when the prices go down. You know they have too.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Yeah, how much does a portable DVD player go for?

Around 200-300 bucks.

So a portable DVD player/Game Console is awesome.

The price isnt a big deal.
except you have to buy all your films again on UMD format :(

SuperSlim
09-23-2004, 10:17 AM
screw that then... I probably won't be gettin it then. :mad:

Hired Hitman
09-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Hell no.

The normal Playstation2 was about 250-300 Australian, that would be something like 470, forget about that.

Shaggy
09-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Well I thought I was gonna get the DS but now that I have seen the price difference I KNOW im gonna get the DS. PSP what a waste of time.

Ninti the Mad
09-24-2004, 09:45 AM
except you have to buy all your films again on UMD format :(

wtf

If they dont change it, I aint getting it.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-24-2004, 10:37 AM
wtf

If they dont change it, I aint getting it.
Well it CAN accept Sony memory sticks.... But I don't think Sony would endorse movie "piracy" and let you put films on them. And even then, a 1gb memory stick can set you back about $200 last I checked

#BROKEN Hasney
09-24-2004, 04:26 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/920772_20040923_screen003.jpg

Not exactly PS2 quality are they? (although quite nice)

Looks like the PSP and DS will be closer in gfx than what everybody thought

Xero
09-24-2004, 08:20 PM
From what I understand, and am pretty sure, the DS can handle N64 games, evident with the rerelease of Mario 64(x4), so they arent bad...

That screen looks a little higher than PSX quality...

DS
09-25-2004, 11:01 PM
The price for the PSP has not been announced. The $300 price tag was a rumor that went around.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-26-2004, 05:38 AM
The price for the PSP has not been announced. The $300 price tag was a rumor that went around. No, this was announced at TGS but it is a conversion of the Japanese Yen price.

DS
09-26-2004, 11:36 AM
No, this was announced at TGS but it is a conversion of the Japanese Yen price.
Sony themself said it hasn't been announced yet. Even at TGS. I'm not saying it couldn't end up from that but there's still a chance it could be lower.

"Official pricing for PSP has not been announced, and any information in this regard is only speculation."-Sony spokesperson.

Silent
09-26-2004, 01:42 PM
For 300 bucks that thing better have a little toaster on the side.

I'm gonna get both PSP and DS so it doesn't really matter, but I might have to wait a while for a price drop if it's gonna cost as much as PSX did when it came out..

#BROKEN Hasney
10-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Ouch, it could and I repeat COULD be delayed to November 2005

Videogame analysts from both American Technology Research and Piper Jaffray & Co. have warned investors that there is a high risk of Sony pushing back the release date of their new PlayStation Portable handheld, write Gamespot.

American Technology Research's respected videogame watcher PJ McNealy is concerned that software for the PSP will not be ready in time for a Japanese launch before Christmas. Much of the PSP software shown at the recent Tokyo Game Show was said to be between 50 to 60 percent complete.

"The launch of the PSP in Japan this holiday season continues to be at risk," McNealy wrote in a financial report. "If [Sony] misses the PSP Japan launch schedule, it could affect the announced March North American launch and would be considered a negative to the video game publishers."

If the majority of planned launch titles for the PSP are not completed before December, McNealy believes Sony will have two options. The first scenario would see Sony stick to their planned launch date, but cut back the amount of games available from day one, meaning the PSP would have a rather sparse launch lineup of "approximately five or fewer titles." McNealy's other scenario would see Sony push back the Japanese release date of the PSP to January or later, which may in turn mean that the console's release in the US and Europe would also need to be delayed.

Seperately, analysts at Piper Jaffray & Co. have issued a report which claims that Sony are still working to resolve issues surrounding the PSP's poor battery life and overheating issues. If this is the case, Piper Jaffray & Co. believe that the PSP may not be ready for release in the US until, wait for it, November of 2005 - over a year away from now.

http://www2.cex.co.uk/cex_feature.asp?ct=1&id=7798