PDA

View Full Version : Even though they own everything, they still screw stuff up (Chris Benoit dvd rant)

Disturbed316
09-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Got this the other day, and is a top dvd. But what the hell are they doing with the music?

It's my understanding that Vince McMahon and WWE owns all the media concerning WCW and ECW. I take it this includes the music library? Well why do they insist on editing music?

On the Wrestlemania XX dvd, they edited several parts. Ultimo's slips and Victoria's music being the main ones. This didn't really bother me, although it would have been funny to see Ultimo slip up again. I'm guessing they edited Victoria's music due to royalty money.

Anyway, watching the extra's on the Chris Benoit dvd I noticed that they have edited the music which the guys come out to in WCW. Now being the huge WCW fan I was, I'm am almost 100% sure that Booker T never had an almost classical type of music to come down to. In the Owen Hart tribute match against Bret Hart, they have changed Bret's music to something that doesn't suit him or one that he EVER used.

Whats even funnier, is that they have edited Benoit's WCW music, to his earlier WWF music. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT!?

Surely if Vince owns all the trademarks, music and video libraries, why bother doing this? It just seems to be extra work for them to do which doesn't need to be done.

On another note, the dvd is great. The part where Sabu gets dropped on his head and breaks his neck is completly :eek: And then he recovers from that only for Taz to break it again a couple of years later....tough bastard. Liked the actual program, nice history and I actually got quite emotional when they showed JR announcing Owen's death. Seem pretty sick that at first people thought it was an angle.

Buy it now :rant:

The CyNick
09-22-2004, 09:32 PM
This just reminds me that I have so many DVDs I need to ctach up on.

Anyway, my guess si that Vince didn't buy a lot of the WCW music library. There's a decent chance a lot of their songs didn't belong to WCW and it probably will cost Vince money to use them. So he figures, why bother?

I mean I cant understand why Vince wouldn't use the music if he owns it, I mean I cant think of any good reason. But this is the guy who made the XFL and WBF, so anythings possible.

Transplant
09-23-2004, 01:45 AM
Booker T had classical music when he was in that story against Stevie Ray, Big T, and the rest of "The Real Harlem Heat". Remember, they took away the "T", his music, flames, everything, and he had to come to the ring with El Maestro-like music.

BigDaddyCool
09-23-2004, 02:00 AM
WWE doesn't not own WCW music rights. And since WCW didn't produce its own music, and instead just ripped off real music, WWE probably could not get the same rights.

Lara Emily
09-23-2004, 02:06 AM
Neither Benoit's WCW theme or Booker T's theme were WCW owned, they were Production, Vince would have to pay money to the creators of the songs to get the rights to use them in the release. Bret's might have been Production too I don't know, if it wasn't it's probably just that when Vince bought WCW the in house music didn't come with it.

WCW did produce some of their own music though, usually done by Jimmy Hart but neither Benoit's or Booker's were.

Batsu
09-23-2004, 01:12 PM
It's one of the only complaints I have about the DVD. They should have just muted the music altogether if they were gonna use other music over it.

Shaggy
09-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I liked Beniots old WCW music. It had a nice beat to it....I was mad when I heard about this to. That is why im happy to got the ppv and record it. That way I can see Dragon slip over and over again with laughter filling the house. I planned on getting it but that never happened so I will have to wait down the road for when I find it in a pawn shop or something. I have the Beniot one downloaded on my comp but I still havnt watched it yet. I guess I should start watching it now.