PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jericho = Chris Benoit

Xero
09-24-2004, 08:42 PM
I've been thinking about this for a few hours... Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho seem to both be going the same way, when it comes to the world title...

Jericho won it at Vengence, then dropped it to Triple H at Mania X8...

Benoit won it at Mania, and lost it at SummerSlam to Orton, who dropped it to Triple H at Unforgiven.

After Jericho lost the title, he went down the midcard...

After Benoit lost the title, he went down to midcard/tag...

Is it just me, or is Benoit going to go the way of Jericho and never get another run, for atleast a few years (Not the run, the time between [if] he wins it agian)?

This isnt well thought out, so I'm sure there are flaws, but it looks like, if Benoit continues at the rate he's going, he will just drop completely out of the title scene for the forseeable future...

John la Rock
09-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Benoit deserved 1 World Title Reign ONLY because of his work ethic and attidude over his 18 year career. That's it.

He can't draw. He has no charisma, and no promo skill. So therefore he should stay at the midcard spot

Cruiserweight 3:16
09-24-2004, 08:58 PM
I can't really see Benoit coming back into the title scene within the next 12 months as a face. If he turned heel then perhaps he would get the title off Orton once he's won it again, but then again others like Jericho and Christian (wishful thinking) could be pushed into the main event scene. I think most likely that he will drop out completely, and maybe we'd have to wait a couple of years or more before he is champion again

Xero
09-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Benoit deserved 1 World Title Reign ONLY because of his work ethic and attidude over his 18 year career. That's it.

He can't draw. He has no charisma, and no promo skill. So therefore he should stay at the midcard spot
That's the problem with wrestling today, the promos outshine the wrestling 3-1, sometimes more... The Attitude era was based off storylines and promos, however, there was WRESTLING mixed in, at a much better rate...

It's sad when a great wrestler like Benoit gets pushed aside for someone who has better mic skills... Not saying that it's that bad, because usually, people who get pushed for their mic skills have the tallent to back it up, like Jericho, although, like my main post suggests, isnt as high as he should be...

Some people like the "entertainment" aspect of wrestling, and I can respect that, and I too love the entertainment aspect, but I also enjoy alot of good wrestling matches thrown in...

The CyNick
09-24-2004, 10:55 PM
The only show that Benoit was put in a position to draw PPVs was Backlash, and that was the best brand exclusive show they've done all year. Every other show was headlined by HHH and did very little in terms of business.

Not saying Benoit is a huge draw on his own, but A) he was never given the chance and B) nobody is a draw right now.

I predicted this owuld happen, Benoit was brought over and given the title as a "thank-you" and to make Hunter look good. Hunter has moved on, so now Benoit will go the same route Jeircho went.

Batsu
09-24-2004, 11:18 PM

[places a dunce cap over his head]

That's the line of thinking that has given us a several month JBL WWE title reign.

Mayo
09-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Benoit still gets pretty big pops, hes an amazing wrestler, and his promos get the job done. He does seem to be going the way of Jericho, which is quite sad really. Jericho could get huge reactions as the World Champion, but I suppose that Vince still has the homegrown talent bias. :'(

Corkscrewed
09-25-2004, 02:04 AM
If this is the case, it'd be a damn shame that ego has to outshine merit. But that's life these days. :(

Gouda
09-25-2004, 02:21 AM
Bentoit is a draw. He gets great pops and people like to see him. Especially when he makes people tap.

Bentoit should have stayed in the main event mix in my opinion.

Of course also in my opinion, Jericho and Christian should have been moved up after their feud. I mean after it Jericho was all like "I'd like you all to know that there's another contender for the heavyweight title... me!" or something to that effect.

Stickman
09-25-2004, 05:06 AM
As long as hhh is around, Jericho is fucked. He would be a great World Champ but they seem to think the Championship is better with HHH involved. That's why wrestling is going downhill.

Innovator
09-25-2004, 03:06 PM
*Vince/HHH's office*

Vince: Hmmmm, Hunter which two faces right now are getting the best pops from the crowd?

HHH: Uh........lemme check my figures.......Orton and HBK dad

Heyman: Hunter it's Benoit and Jericho, everyone knows that, even my 7 year old.

Vince: PAUL! This is the adult's table, no need to use profanity in my office!

Heyman: ...but all I said was Jeric---

HHH: LA LA LA LA LA! IM NOT LISTENINGUUUUHHHHHHHHH!

Evolution
09-25-2004, 05:12 PM
I suppose that Vince still has the homegrown talent bias. :'(
I think it's time to class Jericho as a homegrown talent. I mean, he has been with the company since Unforgiven 1999, thats 5 years exactly. If memory serves me correctly, he was with ECW about a year and WCW 2. And he wasn't used right in WCW so he couldn't really be defined as talent, with the obvious disadvantages against him being he wasn't Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash or part of nWo.

I see Jericho as a WWE guy, same as Benoit. People like Booker T and RVD I still see as WCW and ECW, so they won't get there for a while.

But Jericho should come out of his feud with Christian as the victor, then set his sights on the World Title. He truly is the Highlight of the Night. He's the only guy I consistently laugh with during a promo.

Jericho for Champion!

Dorkchop
09-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Benoit is the absolute best wrestler in wrestling today. His mic skills are okay, but not great. I don't watch wrestling for the talky talky. Yes I do enjoy a good promo, but I'd rather see a match.

Benoit isn't being burried just yet. He's still getting wins, and is still the Chris Benoit he's always been. I don't know what else I want to say. HOPEFULLY he'll stay in the main event mix.

Gone Mad
09-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Jericho and Benoit are some of the best in the business. I think Benoit is a great wrestler and Jericho is my hero. It is just too bad the two Canadians get shafted at times but what else can you do?

Look how is pushed above them: Kane, Edge, HHH, Undertaker, RKO, Batista, etc. Notice that all those guys are home-grown, compared to the ones from ECW and WCW who usually, not always, get pushed to Heat or Velocity to lose to Rodney Mack and Heidireich.

So yeah, J and Benoit will have their chance to be in the main event spotlight again.. just as soon as they go back to Smackdown!

Aussie Skier
09-26-2004, 08:16 PM
who cares about the FUCKING MAIN EVENT SCENE!!!!

Let ORTON AND HHH STAY THERE FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT!
I'd rather have orton and hhh fighting over the world title, and that leave christian, Edge, HBK, Benoit and Jericho in the upper midcard.

Scarface
09-27-2004, 09:04 PM
who cares about the FUCKING MAIN EVENT SCENE!!!!

Let ORTON AND HHH STAY THERE FOR AS LONG AS THEY WANT!
I'd rather have orton and hhh fighting over the world title, and that leave christian, Edge, HBK, Benoit and Jericho in the upper midcard.

:y: