PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Favorite Stephen King films (TV or Theater releases)

Dark Kane
09-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Simply name 5 of your absolute favorite Stephen King films, they could be either from theater or TV mini series.

My 5 faves in order:

1. Storm of the Century
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1573625779.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
This is the absolute best Stephen King film ever made. Linoge is one of the most creepiest and scariest villians I've ever seen. The man who played Linoge did such a fine job at this. Now if this movie was released in theater instead of TV mini series, that would make the film even better, but anyways, everytime I watch this movie send chills up my spine. Tim Daly is such a great actor. Very underrated too. This movie has great storytelling and great acting by cast. I love this movie and would never get tired of it even if it's 4 hours long.

2. The Green Mile
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003CWQU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Mainly because Tom Hanks finally starring in a Stephen King adapted role. I've always thought my favorite actor Tom Hanks would fit great in a Stephen King type of film. But I would never thought Hanks would be signed to play Paul Edgecomb but to my surprise he did. I've read "The Green Mile" way before the film got the greenlight. As usual, the movie is missing many great scenes from the book like all movies from adapted books do, but I thought Frank Darabont did a great job with the film. Especially the performances of David Morse and Michael Clarke Duncan.

3. Dreamcatcher
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AMRUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Many of you are going to hate me for including this, but I didn't find anything wrong with this film at all. I thought it was fabulous and it was a great film. Thomas Jane, Jason Lee, Tom Sizemore, Damien Lewis, Donnie Wahlberg and Morgan Freeman. That is one incredible cast. In my book, I honestly thought the film was very entertaining. Although the book was better of course, I thought they did a good job with the film too. But there is going to be a sequel, but this movie is only half the book. But if they are going to do a sequel to this film, I hope they have the same cast.

4. Needful Things
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000068IES.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
I love this film dearly. Ed Harris and Max Von Sydow playing in a movie together. :drool: Can't get any better than that. Max Von Sydow played one of the best villians in a film. :y:

5. Misery
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0792846443.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Again, the book is way better, but they did a great job with the film. James Caan and Kathy Bates is what made the movie worth watching. God this movie is so great.

Honorable Mention: Carrie
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005K3NR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
This is indeed, the best Stephen King movie ever made. Brian Depalma is an amazing film director and I've always dug his work. He makes very interesting camera angles. Especially the camera angles he does with this film. He does some pretty insane camera work with this film if you watch closely to what he's doing. I grew up my whole life watching this film. I have this DVD, the Special Edition in my collection and never get tired of it. This is indeed Depalma's best film ever made. Sissy Spacek was a perfect choice for this role. She is so creepy at the end during the prom night, that's one of the best horror scenes ever filmed.

Your choices?

loopydate
09-28-2004, 10:01 PM
1) Shawshank Redemption
2) The Green Mile
3) The Dead Zone (TV show)
4) Misery
5) The Shining

Bo
09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
The Stand

Long as hell but really good and I really didnt wanna think of four more.

Loose Cannon
09-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Storm of the Century is great. The character of Linoge(played by Colm Feore) would make a pretty cool wrestling character. Born In Sin....Come on In. Born in Lust..Turn to Dust.

Anyway my top 5

1) Shawshank Redemption (Didn't even know this was a King movie until loopy mentioned it. Morgan Freeman is one of my Fav actors of all-time. Loved the ending sequence.)

2) Green Mile.

3) It (this movie scared the shit out of me more then any other movie before. They all Float down here. Creepy line)

4) Storm of the Century

5) Misery.

Not sure if Stand By Me counts here, but if it does, that shoots to #1 automatically. All-time Fav. movie.

Danny Electric
09-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Oooooooooh
Lots and lots

No order

Stand By Me
Apt Pupil
Pet Cemetry
It
The Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Misery
The Shining
Carrie

Loads more of good films like Needful Things and the short story ones that he does like 'Four Before Midnight'.

Danny Electric
09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Shelton Max Von Sydow is great as the devil. I love it at the end when he tells them that he'll be back.:)

FFD
09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
STorm of the Century is by far the best. I stayed up and watched all 3 nights.

Good News Gertie
09-29-2004, 07:38 PM
The Stand

Long as hell but really good and I really didnt wanna think of four more.

I'm reading the uncut version...

Like over 1400 pages. :'(

Danny Electric
09-29-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm reading the uncut version...

Like over 1400 pages. :'(

I have that too
Even though it's that long, it's the book I've read the most times.

Smitty
09-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Stand By Me
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
It
Storm Of The Century

Azriel
09-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Funny that a lot of his non-horror movies are our favorites. Anyway, out of what I have seen:

1. The Green Mile
2. Shawshank Redemption
3. The Shining
4. Stand by Me
5. The Stand

Mikey
09-29-2004, 11:01 PM
No Order

1. Green Mile
2. Christine
3. "It"
4. Misery
5. The Shining

MrMeJW
09-30-2004, 08:49 AM
In no order... I can only think of 4

Stand By Me
Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
The Green Mile

tucsonspeed6
10-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Ones like the Shawshank Redemption and Greenmile are awesome, but the majority of his "horror" movies were total crap. I remind you all of the Family Guy ep with Stephen King:

Peter hits something with his car and gets out. Peter: "Oh my god! Are you Stephen King?" Guy: "No, I'm Dean Kunz..."

no...not that one...this one:

stephen king in his publisher's office:

King: "Ok, I've got it...so this guy is living at this house when.....His lamp comes to life and tries to kill him!"

or something along those lines. My point is that he sucks at horror anymore and nothing he touches is scarey anymore. It's like those Goosebumps books they tried to animate on Saturday mornings a while back. Like "The Third Graders and the creepy hand of spookiness!" but every ep would start out with the author himself trying to be spooky, but he looked more pathetic than anything. (Immagine Ben Stein doing his best to be completely without personality and with the lights set beneath him and some strobe light "lightning" added in.) Then he says in the most monotone voice you could think of something along the lines of "This story is so scarey you'll be awake for days on end."

I guess I'm a little long winded here, but my point is that King isn't scarey, but his other movies are great. The end.