PDA

View Full Version : John Cerutti passes away

TheJShow
10-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Cerutti dead at 44

John Cerutti played for a pair of major league teams, but will be best remembered for his time and dedication to the Blue Jays.

Sportsnet.ca -- It is with the utmost sadness that Rogers Sportsnet and the Toronto Blue Jays announce the passing of former pitcher and television broadcaster John Cerutti.

Doug Beeforth (President, Rogers Sportsnet) and Paul Godfrey (President & CEO; Toronto Blue Jays) issued the following joint statement.

"This is a sad day for the Rogers family as we have lost a distinguished member. John's sudden and tragic passing is a real blow to all of us. Our thoughts and prayers go out to John's family at this time."

Cerutti was scheduled to handle colour commentary for Sunday's broadcast of the final game of the regular season. When he didn't report for an 11:00 am production meeting, Rogers Sportsnet officials and hotel staffers attempted unsuccessfully to reach his Toronto hotel room. Ultimately, police officers and emergency medical service workers entered his room and found the 44-year-old absent of all vital signs. It is believed he died of natural causes. No foul play is suspected.

The club's first round selection in the 1981 draft, Cerutti pitched with the Blue Jays between 1985 and 1990. During his seven year Major League career (the last season of which was spent with the Detroit Tigers), Cerutti compiled a record of 49-43 with a 3.94 ERA in 229 games.

Cerutti began his Blue Jays broadcasting career in 1997 serving as a colour commentator on the CBC. He has been a fixture in the booth ever since, spending each of the past three seasons working as the lead analyst for the club's flagship broadcaster, Rogers Sportsnet.

Cerutti was born on April 28, 1960 in Albany, New York. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Pending the outcome of a coroner's investigation, officials from Rogers Sportsnet and the Toronto Blue Jays have no further information or comment at this time.

TheJShow
10-03-2004, 09:22 PM
R.I.P. John

He was a great commentator for the Jays, just shoking for someone so young, still had much in the future.

:'(

Gertner
10-03-2004, 10:24 PM
R.I.P

In all seriousness, Cerutti was not a great commentator, but his voice will be missed.

YOUR Hero
10-03-2004, 10:26 PM
What? No!

:'(

Damn...

R.I.P. John Cerutti.

Gertner
10-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Another downer for my Jays and I.

Molly fan 25
10-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Now to find and sell his baseball card.