PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction question #2: Will the Astros represent the NL in the World Series

Splaya
10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Will the Houston Astros represent the NL in the World Series this year???

This is question #2. Let's see what you guys all think on this issue.

The Dub
10-04-2004, 01:06 PM
FACT. I'm not saying that because I've been a life-long Astro fan. I truly believe that they have what it takes to win it all. They're the hottest team in baseball and they will carry that momentum into the postseason.

House of Pancakes
10-04-2004, 01:14 PM
FACT. Anything can happen, of course. But the way I see it, Houston finished the season 34-10. Clemens and Oswalt are as dominating a 1-2 as Schilling and Pedro. Brad Lidge has been the best closer in baseball down the stretch. Berkman, Bagwell, and Biggio are heating up. Kent and Beltran are always tough. I really think that unless Clemens and Oswalt struggle [Houston doesn't have much depth on the staff now that Pettitte and Miller are lost], or the bats just don't come through enough. But I think they have as good a shot as anyone in the National League, and because they have the most reliable pitching and most momentum heading in, I'd pick Houston to be in the Series.

Gertner
10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
fiction. going with the cards here. Astros are cursed.

slextremely
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Fiction Cardinals are too good

BCWWF
10-04-2004, 02:12 PM
No

el fregadero
10-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Fiction, they won't even get past Atlanta.

DaveWadding
10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Fiction. Hello St. Louis.

VonErich Lives
10-04-2004, 06:16 PM
I picked the Stros at the begining of the season...

W/O Pettitte it's a different story, I think the Cards are too strong for them.

John la Rock
10-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Fact

The Astros have been the hottest team in September. The have the best Starting Pitching in the majors and more then enough hitting to give them run support

John la Rock
10-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Is Pettite going to play in the playoffs?

Loose Cannon
10-04-2004, 07:10 PM
World Series: Yankees over Astros 4-2

^^In Supreme's prediction thread a while back.

The Outlaw
10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Fiction. While they have lost 5 less games while winning the same than the Bravos in September, I wouldn't call them the hottest team. After the Braves clinched the Division, they started resting people and playing their "scrubs" (which I wouldn't really call scrubs) and letting younger guys pitch and play, which is where several of their losses (albeit close) came from. I don't really think you can take that into consideration and say they will blow by the Bravos. If my memory serves me correct, Houston beat us 2 out of three early in the season while we beat them 2 out of 3 in the second half, the loss being 1-0. I think it will be a heck of a series.

Braves 3-2, maybe. :)

Hopefully anyway. :)

The Miz
10-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Fiction why are you making another thread you dick

The Outlaw
10-05-2004, 03:24 AM
haha I didn't even realize

Splaya
10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
OK, reps went to HOP, John La Rock and Rabid.

Fact. The Astros have the best 1-2 combination right now. But they have what few teams have and that's a great closer. Also the hitting has been sensational and the way they have been playing at home all they have to do is take 1 at Turner Field and they will win the series. Then with the Cards, it'll be tough but it goes back to the fact that if they can steal 1 game on the road, they will win the series.

Also, HOP once I spread some rep, I will rep you for your response and then double rep you because of your answer being the one I liked the most.

The Outlaw got the Argument rep for today because his was the best argument against me.

The Dub
10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Houston did sweep St. Louis just last week, so there is no doubt in my mind that they could beat them. I don't think Atlanta can beat Houston. With Clemens starting Game 1, that will set the tone for the entire series. It's our year!

Rain Man
10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Fiction- Cardnials

BCWWF
10-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Houston did sweep St. Louis just last week, so there is no doubt in my mind that they could beat them. I don't think Atlanta can beat Houston. With Clemens starting Game 1, that will set the tone for the entire series. It's our year!

When you have clinched the division weeks before the playoffs, you tend to rest your star players and let Houston have a field day beating your reserves and knocking the Cubs out. A late season sweep like that means nothing. If I'm not mistaken the Cards even were using bullpen starters some of the time.

Rain Man
10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Fiction- Cardnials
To add onto that.. The Cardinals have the best lineup this whole year and they are already showing it against the Dodgers, they will hit there way to the World Series.AND IF there pitching holds up.

Splaya
10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
When you have clinched the division weeks before the playoffs, you tend to rest your star players and let Houston have a field day beating your reserves and knocking the Cubs out. A late season sweep like that means nothing. If I'm not mistaken the Cards even were using bullpen starters some of the time.

Not to change sports or anything, but in 2002 when the Red wings won the Cup, they rested their star players and look what happened. They went down 2-0 before coming back to win 4 straight. Trust me, resting your stars is not smart at all.

BCWWF
10-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Yes it is. Just not too much. Why would you play all your guys hard for games that don't matter after they have been playing every night for the past 7-8 months?

Splaya
10-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Because it keeps them fresh for the playoffs. Only have them play for 10-15 minutes a game. Sure they run the risk of being injured, but also only rest them the last 2-3 games. Bowman rested our star players for like the last 10 games and it nearly cost us the Cup.

BCWWF
10-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Exactly. Not too much. Its not like you send your starters to Triple A when they clinch the division, but you don't send them all out.