PDA

View Full Version : JBL Controversy Again

RGWhat316
10-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Credit 4w-wrestling.com

The following is from PoliticsForTeens.com:

“WWE wrestler John Bradshaw Layfield, after already entering a huge controversy for mimicking Hitler during a match in Germany, used another "cheap" tactic to garner boos from wrestling fans - this time, in New Jersey.

According to numerous correspondents, after Sunday's WWE No Mercy PPV went off the air, the wrestler came out and attacked New Jersey and Governor Jim McGreevey, saying that the state's only known for one thing - a governor that likes little boys.

Obviously trying to cash in on the McGreevey's recent announcement of being gay to garner "heel heat" for his character, JBL spoke without any evidence of Jim McGreevey molesting or having sexual desires for little children. A mini-controversy is already brewing over this issue amongst wrestling fans. “
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, if he keeps this up, they really should just fire his ass.

BigDaddyCool
10-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Maybe their governer shouldn't touch little boys.

Dark Kane
10-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Nothing wrong with it, JBL is trying to get people to hate him and that's what heels do, he's doing a very good job at playing a heel. That's what heels do, they are supposed to offend people. If the Rock can talk about monkey's nipples and lamas anuses, then JBL should be allowed to call people pedophiles. This is America and there is this thing called Freedom of Speech.

The Nazi salute was illegal in Germany.

But calling people pedophiles is not illegal over here when you're just playing a character.

JBL will never get fired. McMahon is loving what he does too much, which is why McMahon always has JBL's back 100%. You "marks" are taking JBL too seriously.

davidbowie
10-05-2004, 10:07 PM
yo really think jbl is making this stuff up on the spot, maybe, but they probably know what he is gonna do so nothing will happen.

Dark Kane
10-05-2004, 10:29 PM
yo really think jbl is making this stuff up on the spot, maybe, but they probably know what he is gonna do so nothing will happen.

Well, during House Shows and after PPV's, wrestlers can do anything non-scripted. That's what JBL is doing. On WWE TV, he's not allowed to do this stuff, but during house shows and after PPV's, he can do all this stuff all he wants. I do agree with doing the Nazi salute in Germany was crossing the line and going too far,but hey he made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes.

McMahon gave JBL the permission to do what JBL wants to get heel heat from the crowd when not being televised. On TV, JBL have to go by the script obviously but when it's not being televised, he can do or say anything. That is how he is never going to get fired. Freedom of speech.

If we all have the freedom to accuse Michael Jackson being a pedophile, then JBL has all his right to call McGreevey a pedophile.

loopydate
10-05-2004, 10:34 PM
If we all have the freedom to accuse Michael Jackson being a pedophile, then JBL has all his right to call McGreevey a pedophile.
The thing is, there's been tremendous evidence to suggest that Michael Jackson is a pedophile. JBL is basing his assessment of McGreevey on one thing: that he's gay.

And earlier you said something about free speech. There's a difference between free speech and slander. You can't say anything you want about a person if you can't back it up with evidence. There is no Consitutional defense for lying.

JBL is an asshole who should be more than fired. He should be goose-stepping down the streets of Berlin after we arm German citizens with slingshots and rocks, all while wearing a tutu and singing show tunes.

Gerard
10-05-2004, 10:35 PM
The Nazi salute was illegal in Germany.

Actually thats wrong, if its used in a form of entertainment its meant to be legal to use, just so many people got their panties in a knot because of it, it became a big issue.

Xero
10-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Bradshaw is a dumbass... He doesnt know any better... I wouldnt be suprised AT ALL if he mentioned the KKK at a show :nono:

The really sad part is Flair gets chewed out for doing something iffy (Granted, on TV, but it really wasnt that bad), and Bradshaw doesnt even get a talking to for doing the Nazi salute... Vince, get your fucking shit straight... :nono:

OssMan
10-05-2004, 10:37 PM
it's okay, he was playing a character! if he came up to me and called me a kike and shot me in the leg, I would be fine what that because he is just trying to get me to hate him.

sensai86
10-05-2004, 10:56 PM
LOL!!!

The One
10-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Is anyone else REALLY entertained my JBL...lord knows I am. Come on! The guy is a stitch! God half of you where crying for blood when the PTC came around and say things were too offensive, it is a fu</>cking wrestling program. JBL, the man and the character, is drawing in fans. He is one of the only reasons I watch SmackDown...him and Angle.

(Oh and I think this was already mentioned, but if it is for entertainment purposes, the Salute is not illegal in Germany...)

Innovator
10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
na na na na, na na na na

McLegend
I think JBL is a great heel and that makes him a good champion. JBL is like HHH you love to hate him. He does have a weak finisher though.

ColdwaVer
Ummm... the Rock has accused people of lusting after little boys in the past, nobody ever seems to bitch about that...

KayfabeMan
10-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Maybe their governer should touch little boys.

Nothing wrong with it,

KayfabeMan
10-05-2004, 11:28 PM
:shifty:

Head
10-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Just because the nazi salute is not illegal in Germany for entertainment purposes does not make what JBL did legal. It was not a scripted part of the event match, was not used to further advance a storyline, and doesn't even fit in with his conservative self made millionaire gimmick.

Saying that what JBL did was for entertainment purposes would be like saying that a band flashing the Nazi salute to the crowd after their gig was over is for entertainment purposes.

Funky Fly
10-06-2004, 12:18 AM
If it is found that the governor isn't a ped, then he might be able to sue for slander. The Law doesn't work along the lines of common sense, so JBL may not be able to get out of it on the excuse that it was a character and not himself saying it.

The Answer
10-06-2004, 12:54 AM
That's nothing.When they go to Boston they always poke fun at the Red Sox,Chicago it's the Cubs or Bears.They always got something

V
10-06-2004, 01:10 AM
i think jbl likes little boys

V
10-06-2004, 01:11 AM
little boys that draw mustaches on themself with permanent marker and do a nazi salute

Mayo
10-06-2004, 01:17 AM
LOL this is so stupid, and it shouldn't even be a controversy. The guy said that he was gay, not a pedophile, and I would highly doubt that JBL has any evidence of him liking little boys. He can really say anything that he wants about the governor in order to get heel heat, and I don't see this as a problem whatsoever.

BigDaddyCool
10-06-2004, 01:18 AM
little boys that draw mustaches on themself with permanent marker and do a nazi salute

Yes, we have all seen Eurotrip, and yes it was funny.

Corkscrewed
10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Eh, nothing wrong with insulting the governor there. I have no prob with JBL for doing that.. I mean Rich Vos insults the governor too.

CosaNostra
10-06-2004, 07:09 AM
McMahon gets pissed at and almost fires Flair for his busting a virgin's cherry comment, but lets JBL get away with saying a Governor is a pedophile?

Whatever.

Hired Hitman
10-06-2004, 07:25 AM
:love:

tucsonspeed6
10-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Credit Mybuttsmells.com

The following is from Arealnewswebsite.com:

"The WWE is in hot water again; this time with a yet to be released city in the United States. While the WWE taped one of their shows in the city, several characters were noted as to saying that the local sports team 'sucked' and that the citizens of the city were uncleanly and/or ugly, another "cheap" tactic to garner boos from wrestling fans.

Obviously trying to cash in on recent rumors that the local sports team was not in fact doing well in it's respective league, among other rumors that the city did in fact contain many oderant and obtrusive appearing citizens, these 'heels' still spoke with no real evidence of any 'sucking' or 'stinky'ness or 'fugly'ness. A mini-controversy is already brewing over this issue amongst wrestling fans."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HankScorpio
10-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Funny. no, really. ha.. ... ha.

Loose Cannon
10-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Oh get over it for god sake. If people went to arenas in thr 70's and 80's and heard some of the things the heels said, people wouldn't be complaning about JBL, trust me. JBL is a heel, he is a character, this is a wrestling show. He is just trying to get heat, which is what you want. The best wrestlers in the business are those who live their character not only inside of the ring, but outside too. When you do that, there is no wall between wrestling and reality. You are your character and people really start believing that is the way you really are at home when your not wrestling. That's the way wrestling should be.

Thing is though, is that that's who JBL probably is anyway when he's not preforming. That makes it even better though.

thecc
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
This reminds me of something that i heard. At a house show hardcore holly was trying to get the crowd to cheer kill the queer against rico.

loopydate
10-06-2004, 02:21 PM
JBL is a heel, he is a character, this is a wrestling show. He is just trying to get heat, which is what you want. The best wrestlers in the business are those who live their character not only inside of the ring, but outside too. When you do that, there is no wall between wrestling and reality. You are your character and people really start believing that is the way you really are at home when your not wrestling. That's the way wrestling should be.

That sets a really dangerous precedent when you start thinking like that, though. Remember what happened when Austin started "living his gimmick" outside of the ring?

Besides, if he needs to rely on performing an illegal act (which I'll get into in a moment) or slander, then he's having some trouble garnering heat on his own, isn't he? Sure, heels have always insulted fans, but there's a difference between "Man, Houston! Everybody here needs to take a shower! None of you smelly sons-of-bitches deserve to be in an arena with me!" and "Your governor touches little boys!" The former is garnering heel heat, the latter is slander, which is against the law.

To the people who say that the Nazi salute is okay in a form of entertainment, that's half right. It's perfectly okay to perform the Nazi salute and goose step...if you're portraying a Nazi. That's what they mean by "in the context of entertainment." JBL was just being some dick who goose-stepped in front of a couple thousand people, which is against German law.

PerfectOne
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
My only response to all of this is that it's why I don't watch WWE anymore, why no-one I know watches WWE anymore, and why WWE can't even draw more than a 3.x in the ratings when it used to draw 5-7.

The bottom line is, WWE is a dying company. TNA is somewhat of a joke of a company, and because of it America's interest is dying off in professional wrestling. At the highlight of the WCW/WWF promotion wars, it was estimated that up to 10% of American adults watched a pro-wrestling program at least once a week. I would guess that is drastically reduced now.

And just a clarification, slander is not illegal. You can not be found guilty of slander, or tried for it in a criminal court. However, you CAN be taken to civil court and sued for slander, and their you can be found liable and forced to pay a settlement to the plaintiff. So, while JBL can't be fined or go to jail for slandering a public official, he CAN be sued for it.

MRAT=VEGETABLES
10-06-2004, 04:27 PM
i live in New Jersey ok. McGreevy always looked a bit gay to me but i never thought he might actually be gay. But i dont blame JBL it is a very easy target

Wrestling is a buisness. ITS NOT REAL! :shifty:

MRAT=VEGETABLES
10-06-2004, 04:32 PM
i live in New Jersey ok. McGreevy always looked a bit gay to me but i never thought he might actually be gay. But i dont blame JBL it is a very easy target

Funky Fly
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
And just a clarification, slander is not illegal. You can not be found guilty of slander, or tried for it in a criminal court. However, you CAN be taken to civil court and sued for slander, and their you can be found liable and forced to pay a settlement to the plaintiff. So, while JBL can't be fined or go to jail for slandering a public official, he CAN be sued for it.
Well, I did kinda say that he could be sued for it.

Corkscrewed
10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
That'd be hilarious if JBL was sued for it.

RGWhat316
10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
I actually don't really care that he did it. JBL's character is actually pretty entertaining to me. The only point that I said that all these little controversies seem to be following him, which could catch up to him in the future.