PDA

View Full Version : Attitude era

Aussie Skier
10-07-2004, 11:27 AM
During this period:
1999 till early 2001, who do you ppl think were the top 10 biggest stars of the WWE:

10. Kurt Angle - I personally feel he gave some real legitimacy to the WWE. Helped start to bring less big men to the fed, and more smaller and better wrestlers. The days of 6'5 (or whatever) Ultimate Warrior like wrestlers and other no talent ppl was replaced by new, better wrestlers, more entertaining wrestlers.
9. Kane - Was there and about the whole time. Is probably slightly forgotten when you think of Taker, Rock, Austin etc...
8. Jeff Hardy - Made people say HOLY F*CK! And that helped get ppl interested.
7. The Undertaker - The fifth member of the five main eventers during this period. helped to establish attitude, but missed a bit of it (like foley)
6. Mankind - Mick Foley was a crucial part of this era. Him falling off (and through) the cage made alot of ppl start watching WWE, leading the way for Austin, HHH and the rock to shine.
5. Jim Ross - The voice of attitude
4. The Rock - Was probably the biggest superstar of this era, yet i felt HHH and Austin probably did slightly more (mainly early on.)
3. Triple H - He was the one of the biggest babyfaces (with DX) and one of the bigest heels (McMahon-Helmsley era.)
2. Steve Austin - Biggest babyface since Hulk, was the impetus for attitude
1. Vince McMahon - technically, he created the whole thing. He also played the major heel in the two major factions.

Important players that missed out:
Dudleyz, Matt Hardy and E and C, DX members (esp X Pac), Too Cool (esp. rikishi), Val Venis, Shane McMahon, Steph McMahon, The Radicalz, Jerry Lawler

BigDaddyCool
10-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Whatever.

Loose Cannon
10-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Attitude was late 97-2001.

1) Austin
2) Rock
3) Vince
4) HHH
5) Foley
6) Taker
7) HBK
8) Kane
9) Jericho
10) Angle.

Hardkore Kidd J
10-07-2004, 12:54 PM
1. Jericho

2. Steve Austin

3. Mankind

4. Angle

5. Kane

6. Undertaker

7.Triple H

8. The Rock

9. HBK

10. Vince

Cruiserweight 3:16
10-07-2004, 01:52 PM
How could Jim Ross be 5th on your list Aussie_Skier? The reason because he was the voice of attitude is quite frankly crap. You've got Hugo and Carlos that were the 'Spanish voices of attitude', and Ross played a bigger role anyway of being Senior Vice President of Talent Relations.

loopydate
10-07-2004, 03:50 PM
10) Owen Hart

Although he didn't live to see the end of the Attitude era, his near-shoot return promo was one of the iconic moments of the period. His evolution from the "Slammy Award-Winner" and the "King of Harts" into the "Blackhart" was indicative of the edgier nature of the WWF product in that time. Besides, if he hadn't broken Austin's neck, would Austin have grown into the legend he became?

9) Kane

Another guy responsible for one of the great moments of the period, when he ripped the Hell in a Cell door from its hinges in 1997, making one of the better debuts in wrestling history. Over the course of the Attitude era, Kane got involved in several high-profile feuds, including one with the biggest WWF faction of the time, D-Generation X.

8) Ken Shamrock

Let's not forget that there was a time in the late '90s when it looked like "The World's Most Dangerous Man" was on his way to WWF greatness. While not exactly an edgy character, his no-nonsense attitude made him a big star. Plus, he introduced a lot of wrestling fans to the concept of "tapping out," something that is referenced in almost every match to this date.

7) Chris Jericho

If Kane's debut wasn't the most impressive of the Attitude era, then Jericho's most certainly was. He didn't just have a physical countdown clock to his debut, he made his first on-air appearance trading verbal blows with the top promo man of the era. Possibly the last great "surprise" signing in wrestling, he went from cruiserweight glory in WCW to World Title contention in the WWF.

6) Chris Benoit

Like Jericho, Benoit emerged from upper-mid-card status in WCW, right into the main event. The Radicalz looked at first to be the perfect foils for DX, but poor booking (and Eddie Guerrero's unfortunate injury) prevented that from happening. While Benoit may not have reached his highest point until recently, the seeds were sown in the Attitude era.

5) Kurt Angle

Would almost certainly be ranked higher, but he didn't come into the picture until the very end of the Attitude era. Was possibly the archetype for an Attitude performer, as he had fantastic promo skills (and dynamite comedic timing), a character that drew real heat, and is one of the most technically-sound workers ever. If he'd debuted in 1997, he'd quite possibly be #1.

4) Triple H

From about 1999 until his quad injury, Triple H may have been the best worker in the company. He put on great contests against anyone that was put in front of him. Plus, lest we forget, he was the focal point of D-Generation X, the stable that basically oozed Attitude. His Rock impression during the Nation skit was one of the funniest things in wrestling history.

3) The Rock

Possibly the icon in professional wrestling over the last five years. Played both sides well, as the biggest babyface in the company (and the ultimate coiner of catchphrases), and as the huge Corporate heel. The Rock debuted to chants of "Rocky sucks" and "Die, Rocky, die" (which, contrary to popular belief, does not mean "The Rocky, the"), but soon had the fans eating out of the palm of his hand.

2) The Undertaker

Everyone knows how much I loathe the Undertaker, so the fact that he's at number two on this list should be an indication of how impartial I was here. At the beginning of the era, he was possibly the edgiest of all, admitting to murdering his family and sacrificing everyone in sight. By the end, had evolved into the Bikertaker, which sucked, but... Y'know... He was entertaining for a while, there.

1) Steve Austin

Speaking of loathing... Unfortunately, there can be no argument that Steve Austin was the top guy in all of wrestling during the Attitude era. He created national headlines when he attacked Mike Tyson, he put on some great matches, and his feud with Vince McMahon is probably the biggest-drawing feud in the history of the business. But, man, do I hate this guy.

Azriel
10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
God, I remember when Kurt debuted how green he was. It probably took him almost a year to adapt to the different wrestling style.

LK
10-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Loose Cannon
1) Austin
2) Rock
3) Vince
4) HHH
5) Foley
6) Taker
7) HBK
8) Kane
9) Jericho
10) Angle.

GODSON
10-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Benoit in the Top 10? Hell, no. Benoit did good in 2000 but no really care. He was hurt for most of 2001. I can understand Jericho(who should not be in the top 10 either) but Benoit,NO!!!

1997-2001

1. Austin, I don't need to explain do I?
2. Vince, he played the boss role perfect
3. Rock, he made promos cool again
4. Foley, the sick bumps and characters he played
5. HHH, DX, he took over when Austin and Taker were gone.
6. Kane, his character were built for the era and never got old during that time.
7. Undertaker, he played the best supporting role to all those guys.
8. Chyna, the only person that kept women wrestlers alive. Chyna was wrestling the men. Trish,Molly,etc. will never be on Chyna level.
9. Angle, because he brought the wrestling aspect to the WWE back in a big way.
10. SURPRISE, JERICHO, I guess Jericho is in my top 10, SORRY!!!

Loose Cannon
10-07-2004, 06:42 PM
God, I remember when Kurt debuted how green he was. It probably took him almost a year to adapt to the different wrestling style.

Funny you mention that. I remember exactly what I was thinking when I first saw him come out on his debut match at Survivor Series 99 I think? Anyway, I remember thinking that this guy sucked and was bland and would never get over. I wanted him off my TV as fast as possible. Then what happened? I always look back at that and learn not to judge guys by first appearences anymore because they might be something real special.

John la Rock
10-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Attitude was late 97-2001.

1) Austin
2) Rock
3) Vince
4) HHH
5) Foley
6) Taker
7) HBK
8) Kane
9) Jericho
10) Angle.

:y:

BigDaddyCool
10-08-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm going to do it slightly different, and count factions/tag teams like a singles wrestler

1) Austin
2) Rock
3) DX (the HHH, X-Pac, NAO DX)
4) Foley
5) Edge and Christian/The Brood (same guys really)
6) (I would tie them with E&C) the Hardies
7) Vince McMahon
9) Owen Hart
10) The Phenom, the Undertaker.

When I think Attitude Era WWF, those are the guys I think of. Jericho and Angle really came in at the end of the era, and start singaling another change of the guard, and then it was the McMahon Helmsley era, then the Invasion, and those all seem very different to me, and not truely part of the Attitude Era.

Also, HBK seemed more like a left over from the early 90's era, and his career went down the shitter after Bret left, and he really had his worst matches then. Also, like I said before, Jericho and Angle came in so late that they never really mattered. Kane I would rank at 11, and that is the only reason he isn't there. Also, Val and the Godfather are like 12 and 13, and everyone one else sucked. Beniot came in even later than Angle and Jericho, so if they don't count, how can he?