PDA

View Full Version : arena question

Marc the Smark
10-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Back in the 80's (I think), there was a weekly Saturday night show on TBS television called World Championship Wrestling. It was a very small arena, where the announcer's podium was only a couple of feet away from the ring, and the production was kind of poor. Tony Schiavone and David Crockett were the announcers on the show, and there were flags from other countries hanging above the ring. Can somebody tell me where that arena was and if it's still open?

Here's a photo of Flair inside the building I'm talking about....

http://www.tvparty.com/bgifs9/wrest1head.jpg

Mike the Metal Ed
10-09-2004, 11:00 AM
You mean the one they used before relocating to MGM Studios?

I can't remember what it's called. :$

Xero
10-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I dont know alot about 80s wrestling, but it was most likely a studio... I've seen it on the Flair DVD I believe...

KayfabeMan
10-09-2004, 04:07 PM
It was indeed a TV studio, the WTBS studio in Atlanta to be exact.

They used to run GCW from there, and then Vince himself appeared there on the same set when WWF / WWE took over from Barnett and The Briscos and such. Then shortly thereafter "WCW" was on the air with Worldwide and everything from that location.

So basically, it was a TV studio in downtown GA that sat a small group of extremely lucky fans. Definitely a place with a very rich wrestling history inside of it. :y:

Marc the Smark
10-11-2004, 12:36 AM
It was indeed a TV studio, the WTBS studio in Atlanta to be exact.

They used to run GCW from there, and then Vince himself appeared there on the same set when WWF / WWE took over from Barnett and The Briscos and such. Then shortly thereafter "WCW" was on the air with Worldwide and everything from that location.

So basically, it was a TV studio in downtown GA that sat a small group of extremely lucky fans. Definitely a place with a very rich wrestling history inside of it. :y:

Thanks Kayfabeman. Any idea if the studio's still there?

KayfabeMan
10-11-2004, 02:25 AM
No problem.

Unfortunately, no clue on whether that location still stands. So many great locations have been lost to time and the so-called wonderful upgrades that many places pursue. I am not sure if this is one of them, or if it does infact remain.

PM me, and I will see if I can point you in the right direction to getting an answer. :y:

BCWWF
10-12-2004, 03:04 AM
What is the place that was in Disney World? They used to film WCW WorldWide there, I think thats what it was called. Sunday mornings at noon or so?