PDA

View Full Version : Observer on HHH, Patterson and the WWE booking.

Loose Cannon
10-22-2004, 12:36 PM
WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY RECEIVED YOUR ISSUE OF THE OBSERVER FOR THIS WEEK AND DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED, DON'T READ ON.

Okay, here is a piece from this weeks Observer I wanted to show you guys. This was a very interesting section and this is what kind of stuff is in the Observer, if you're interested in buying an issue. The section talks mostly about Patterson's leaving, HHH problems and WWE problems in general. It's long, but it's well worth the read if you like reading about Backstage Stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------
Credit: Wrestling Observer.

In recent months, and more so in recent weeks, Patterson had become vocal about the direction of the product to everyone. A few weeks back, he confided to a long-time friend, Nick Bockwinkel, that he was ready the quit, so it was not a shock, nor a decision made in haste. Internally, because Patterson was there from a major architect during the big run in the 80’s, as Vice President of talent relations, filling roles similar to those of both Stephanie McMahon and John Laurinaitis in today’s company, this represented something big. Alsom Patterson was one of the few people in the company who would vocally disagree with McMahon, because he was one of the people it was believed that McMahon would never fire. He confided to people that he thinks the company is being run into the ground and even though he was a big part of the toilet humor and cartoon aspects that categorized the 80’s, he has now been asking, “Why are we doing this stupid Hollywood Crap?” Another person very close to the situation said, “He’s been beyond vocal about HHH, HHH’s power over the Raw show and HHH’s burying of opponents….He’s said it loud enough to make sure everyone hears.” He expressed concern because of the belief HHH, in his role, should be making new stars, and the only person someone could argue he’s really tried to make over the past two years, was Randy Orton, and to a degree, Chris Benoit. He was heavily involved in the screwing up of Bill Goldberg and got Scott Steiner, who was on fire, off on the wrong foot, by working matches that exposed their weaknesses (although Steiner wasn’t going to make it long-term regardless of what HHH did, nor would Goldberg, although they left millions on the table by screwing him up).

HHH buried in meetings an admittedly overrated Rob Van Dam (although fans had not caught on and Van Dam had enormous potential at the time) when he was on fire. Benoit got the monster push this year largely because HHH needed a strong opponent after Shawn Michaels ran his course, and Benoit’s role on Raw diminished greatly when he wasn’t working with HHH, even though he had the belt. There was never a period, no matter if Benoit or Goldberg had the belt, where the shoe wasn’t booked around HHH, and HHH was then portrayed as bigger then the belt. Even though HHH did do a great job in making Shelton Benjamin earlier this year by putting him over in a great match, the follow-up, where HHH made it seem unimportant, translated to the audience believing it was unimportant, and Benjamin didn’t get the elevation from it that was expected. HHH also pulled Edge from Smckdown, with the idea of making him a new opponent, but when Edge didn’t go over like expected in his program with Kane, they rushed the Randy Orton turn, and eveb though they’ve done everything to get Orton over, thus far it’s been a disappointment.

Patterson’s concern, when sent on the road to study problems with the Raw product, were that HHH was over, but not enough people overall were, and blamed it on them not getting adequate exposure to be viewed as stars with the one man dominating. The argument is tat for the most part, the McMahon family company has always been built around a singular star, but during most of the history, that singular star can be argued was doing better business model overall than any time, except during the 1998-2000 era. One source claimed that McMahon’s reaction to Patterson leaving is that he lost his passion for wrestling after the death of long –time soulmate Louie Dondero, but that happened many years ago.

There was an incident some time back, when a lot of controversy over HHH being a detriment first came out internally, that the agents decided to go together to McMahin and express their real viewpoint. However, at the meeting, Stephanie, was there, and everyone involved changed their tune, realizing whoever said anything would be the one hung out to dry immediately. It’s eerily similar to the bookers who would tell Fritz Von Erich about his son’s drug problems, and wind up being the ones fired for doing so.

Within the company, Patterson is acknowledged as the best finish man in the industry, even by others who are pretty strong in that regard themselves. Still, most of the recent finishes have lacked the creativity with the over reliance on ref bumps, which is key to a lot of Patterson’s finishes. And the belt shot and babyface kick out spot. Patterson, also not only created, but usually had a strong hand in the layout of the annual Royal Rumble, the company’s No. 2 event of the year, a lot of which was taken because the heyday of his wrestling career was in Northern California, working for Roy Shine, who was a genius in both promotion and layout of the annual January Battle Royal, which the Rumble was an offshoot of.

Another major star with experience in the spotlight noted when Benoit got the Title, that HHH was still portrayed as the star, and his matches were the PPV main evetns and Benoit would be in the No. 2 match, which showed HHH was more important than the belt, categorized it as “bullshit,” even though Michaels vs. HHH in a Hell in a Cell drew the company’s only good buy rate after Backlash. It’s been noted that even though the company considers HHH it’s biggest star, and the Raw brand has major advantages over the Smackdown brand (as noted by getting Edge and Benoit this year as HHH opponents when the company did nothing to help Eddie Guerrero when he desperately needed a top foe when Angle and Big Show went down with injuries and Brock Lesnar quit), Raw is also more “popular” with the fan base the company management understands. But there hasn’t been much of a difference lately when it comes to business, because Smackdown’s ratings are bolstered by it’s huge Hispanic TV audience, an audience the company has but really doesn’t understand, and Smackdown outdraws Raw when the tour hits the Hispanic markets.

Mr. Nerfect
10-22-2004, 06:31 PM
That's an interesting read. Triple H is the over guy on RAW, but it's also corretc he may be the only otherguy over. Even Randy Orton, their "#1 Babyface" isn't getting as many pops as Triple H is getting. Orton will get over eventually, as wil Benjamin (if they give him some non-title wins over Triple H, thus establishing the IC Title as a main event potential title). Edge will be a huge heel, but his time cannot come until Triple H lowers himslf two notches for the fresher Edge.

Triple H, Batista, Edge & Christian as a new version of Evolution? I think that would work out, OK. Maybe replace Christian with Rhyno. I think Triple H could really help people in two ways on RAW, by jobbing/feuding to them, and by giving them the honour of being in his stable. Instead he only appears to be helping Batista, and Shelton Benjamin at the moment.

Disturbed316
10-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Very interesting read, and very true to what many people have been saying for a long long time.

SuperSlim
10-22-2004, 07:00 PM
that was a nice read. I enjoyed it. so much truth to it.

Loose Cannon
10-22-2004, 07:02 PM
oh and if you guys didn't see the front page. Here's another part of that section.

http://www.tpww.net/headlines/1098416835.html
http://www.tpww.net/headlines/1098416944.html

Cruiserweight 3:16
10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
That was really good to read.

Scarface
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Mad interesting and it makes sense. Clarified my thoughts on the matter.

Dave Youell
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Great fucking read, and said what we ahve all being trying to say for ages.

But alas nothing will come of this, as before with many others on the internet expressing their dislike for the current situation.

Here's hoping that HHH's gets into an extra marital affiar, as that is the only way I can see things turning around, then he'd be jobbing to Henry Gowin in the slop again.

Ahhh Memories

The CyNick
10-22-2004, 09:44 PM
I read that and I was thinking Patterson must read my posts on here.

The thing that doesn't get brought up a lot is that the WWE since say 2002 has built itself around a central heel character. That has never been the WWE formula (except maybe with Superstar Billy Graham but that was only about a year, nothing like this), and of course its not working.

But yeah I mean its been clear to me for years that as long as HHH is the top guy on TV, business will only continue to go down.

Its sad that Vince doesn't have a set anymore.

Corkscrewed
10-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Awesome read. We're watching the process of self destruction. I almost wish somethng drastic would happen so they can get a wake up call that will finally jar them from their dreamland.

It's not just Vince and HHH... it's a lot of the inane bookers as well. For example, from the front page...

Smackdown head booker, David Lagana, recently fell victim to the political power of Brian Gewirtz and Michael Hayes, with them offering suggestions to the show that other writers felt were very bad ideas. A recent example of this was on the 10/7 edition of Smackdown, where John Cena was going to do a promo where he would put over how important it was to win the US Title, and the value of the belt. However, Gewirtz had the promo scripted to where rather than putting over the US Title, he would make gay jokes at Michael Cole. The promo did not go over with the live crowd, and a lot of the guys backstage were embarrassed about it being done.

Seriously... what the hell is up with that? It makes no sense, makes Cena look like a stupid heel, and accomplishes nothing. Sometimes, I really wonder what the hell people are thinking back there.

Mr. Nerfect
10-23-2004, 01:52 AM
Awesome read. We're watching the process of self destruction. I almost wish somethng drastic would happen so they can get a wake up call that will finally jar them from their dreamland.

It's not just Vince and HHH... it's a lot of the inane bookers as well. For example, from the front page...

Seriously... what the hell is up with that? It makes no sense, makes Cena look like a stupid heel, and accomplishes nothing. Sometimes, I really wonder what the hell people are thinking back there.

I would mark out like a little girl if Michael Cole got in the ring and slapped the taste out of Cena. Cole=ratings. :y:

I wish the WWE went with Lagana's idea of putting over the value of the US Title. Bringing up the history of the previous champions would have gotten pops from the crowd, and would've immediately sparked more interest in Carlito Caribbean Cool when he won the title. It's a shame we need to see a homophobic punk come out and talk about Michael Cole's sexual preferences, despite I think having a wife and kids. :-\

TheNamelessOne
10-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Awesome read, thanks for posting it. Theres an awful lot of truth in it.

Like someone already said - We're watching the path of self destruction. At the end of the day, if your biggest draw can barely pop the crowd then you are clearly doing something wrong.

MVP
10-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah great read. It's good to know that it's not just us internet smarks that complain about Triple H holding other workers down, and the corruption with the writing staff. Problem is nothing will be done about it because Triple H is still booked as the top guy despite the ratings gap.

The CyNick
10-23-2004, 01:48 PM
I hate when they do shit like that. If you dont want to make titles seem important, thats fine, get rid of them. But if you are going to have them, then they should be all treated like "gold".

Iceman90
10-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Great read.

I hope HHH goes down with an injury so some of the guys who deserve the title can have it.

Oh wait, even when injured he is sitll the focus of RAW.

FourFifty
10-24-2004, 02:27 PM
<font color=cyan>Okay, let's all join hands and pray that Triple H runs into a wall and breaks his nose while messing up his groin. I don't wish any ill will toward anyone unless the good will surpass the bad. Let Triple H do a major movie or two like The Rock (but not be gone for as long as The Rock... fucking part time wrestler...) so other Raw stars can get over.
I'll give Trips props for putting Shelton over... I'll give him props for dropping the title at WMXX... Triple H being bigger than the title... Fuck that. He's not bigger than the IC title. If anyone with the company is bigger than a title it'll be Kurt. A man who could very easily win the WWE title, but is in a fued on the lower card.
Ya know what I wanna see? I wanna see Triple H get his ass kicked by The Rock as a set up for Triple H to film a movie. Let Rocky become the new Triple H of Raw.. The Main Eventer... Only let him put some people over!
Ya know who should be booking Raw? The Amazing VinceBot2004 v2.0! It's just like Vince, only being the VinceBot2004 v2.0 he has no emotions, which means he won't push Triple H any more based on the fact that he's plugging his little girl.

Mr. Nerfect
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree with the analogy that wrestlers aren't "above" any championship. If I were booking the WWE, I'd have it laid out so any title if a huge win for a wrestler. If Triple H won the WWE Intercontinental Championship tomorrow, he would be a more celebrated wrestler because of it. The only two titles of comparisson would be the IC Title and the World Heavyweight Championship and their SmackDown! counterparts. I think the IC Title should give us the idea that this person is the second best on RAW. Hell, I can even image a feud between the IC Champ and WHC, with the IC Champ saying that the World Heavyweight Title doesn't have the history the IC Title has (assuming it is a different title than the WWE Championship & World Championship).

So yeah, I don't see why the WWE can't use the IC & US Titles as "runner-up" prizes in the WWE.