PDA

View Full Version : Max Kellerman's Brother Murdered

Apprentice
11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, I was watching I Max today and noticed that Max wasn't back on so I decided to look into why he wasn't on the show again since he hasn't been on it for like 2 weeks. Well, here's the article I found.

Boxer accused of hammer death of sportswriter
Posted: Friday October 22, 2004 8:18PM; Updated: Friday October 22, 2004 8:18PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A boxer who fights under the nickname "The Harlem Hammer" pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he used a hammer to murder a freelance sportswriter and then torched his Hollywood apartment.

James Butler, 31, was charged with murder and arson following his Wednesday arrest and was being held on $1.25 million bail, said Sandi Gibbons, the district attorney's spokeswoman.

Sam Kellerman, 29, was found dead Sunday at his apartment. His car was missing. Authorities believe he was killed on Oct. 12, according to a district attorney's statement.

Kellerman was the younger brother of Max Kellerman, host of Fox Sports Net's boxing program "I, Max," and covered professional boxing, Gibbons said.

She said Butler and the sportswriter were friends. The boxer had been staying at Kellerman's apartment since late September.

Butler, whose professional record is 20-5, is best known for sucker-punching opponent Richard Grant in November 2001 after losing a charity match.

A status hearing in Butler's case was scheduled for Oct. 28.

Pretty sad to say the least... My condolences to his family.

Apprentice
11-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Here's another article on the burial

Sportswriter Sam Kellerman laid to rest

October 12, 2004

By David Greene

Freelance sportswriter and aspiring actor Sam Kellerman, 29, was laid to rest Sunday in New York City, one week after Los Angeles police discovered his body. Police believe boxer James Butler killed Kellerman in his Hollywood apartment on Tuesday, October 12.

Friends and family gathered at the Riverside Memorial Chapel on Amsterdam Avenue to remember Kellerman, an author and lover of Shakespeare. Kellerman was the younger brother of Max Kellerman, the host of the new Fox Sports Net show, "I Max."

Recalling the first paragraph of a book Kellerman did, titled, 'Conversations with Zeda', father Henry Kellerman recited, "Zeda was my grandfather and best friend. He lived to 95 at which time I was 25. We talked about everything from the dependability of condoms, to the Russian revolution, to Yiddish, to Rap music, to the holocaust."

Kellerman continued, "Our conversations documented an intersection of two very different worlds. The Eastern European Jewish migration at the beginning of the 20th century, and downtown Manhattan in the hip-hop '90s." Kellerman quipped, "This book contains enough Jewish history to merit inclusion in college courses and enough sex and violence to entertain Tarentino fans."

Brother Jack Kellerman added, "He was put here, not only to be my big brother, but also my teacher, my guardian angel and my best friend. The person whom I could trust more than anyone in the world."

The Kellermans got their start on the airwaves of Manhattan Cable's "Public Access," with the popular show, "Max on Boxing." Brothers Sam, Harry and Jack assisted Max with the production of the show, before Sam started his own, successful, "The Sam Kellerman Show."

Choking back tears, Max Kellerman said of his brother, "People need to know this. The world was going to know the name Sam Kellerman... and he fought long and hard for all of his wisdom."

Kellerman added, "I was jealous of Sam my entire life. He was younger and more talented... I think that my brothers liked him more, my friends liked him more and to be honest, I liked him more."

Offering their respects from the boxing world were ESPN's Teddy Atlas, promoter Lou DiBella, manager Frank Russo and boxers Iran Barkley and Aaron Davis.

Introduced by his former trainer Alexander Newbold, Davis said of Butler, "I never knew he was taking medication or was diagnosed as bipolar." Davis said he spoke with Butler about four weeks ago, and recalled, "He said he was training at the Freddy Roach Gym and he was staying at a hotel."

Butler threw very few punches in a loss against Richard Grant, during a benefit bout in Manhattan in October, 2001. The benefit was for the families of victims of September 11. However, when the decision was read, Butler walked up and slugged Grant without a glove.

Because of the events of September 11th, the boxing commissioner, Ray Kelly, had been made police commissioner and was sitting at ringside. Kelly quickly had cops place Butler under arrest.

Davis said of Butler, "Something must have been wrong in his head," noting that Butler's eyes, "didn't look right," after his release from prison in 2002.

Police charge that Butler, dubbed, "The Harlem Hammer," moved in with Kellerman last month and struck Kellerman several times in the back of the head with a hammer before attempting to set Kellerman's Hollywood apartment on fire, to cover the crime.

Butler pleaded not guilty on Friday and remains held on a bail of $1.25 million; a pretrial hearing is scheduled for Thursday, October 28.

Sam Kellerman was laid to rest at the New Montefiore Cemetery on Long Island and is survived by mother Linda, father Henry and brothers Max, Harry and Jack.

Yashamaga
11-01-2004, 11:52 PM
damn

I like Max, I hope he comes back to the show

R.I.P of course

BCWWF
11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Dude thats really shitty, I am a fan of Max and hope things are alright.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Damn, Max Kellerman is the man.

From what Max said, he seems like his brother was too. Its too bad shit like this has to happen to somebody so young, and somebody who seemed like they had a lot going for them.

RIP

Kris P Lettus
11-01-2004, 11:56 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A boxer who fights under the nickname "The Harlem Hammer" pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he used a hammer to murder a freelance sportswriter and then torched his Hollywood apartment..

That's ironic..

RIP

p.s.did that "sucker punch" happen on a Friday Night Fights??

Apprentice
11-02-2004, 12:06 AM
That's ironic..

RIP

p.s.did that "sucker punch" happen on a Friday Night Fights??

Don't know, but the boxer seemed crazy. I wonder what would cause him to do this, especially considering Sam let him stay at his place.

Evil Vito
11-02-2004, 12:12 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Damn, that sucks. :(

RIP</font> :(