PDA

View Full Version : Jake "The Snake" Roberts mistreats his snakes

The Mackem
11-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3712462

Wrestler Guilty of Mistreating Show Snake

By Brian Farmer, PA News

A professional wrestler was today convicted of mistreating a 12ft snake which he used as part of his act.

Jake “the Snake” Roberts, 48, who was born near Dallas, Texas, but lives in London Colney, Herts, faces a fine or community punishment as a result of causing unnecessary suffering to the male Burmese python.

Magistrates in St Albans, Herts convicted 18st Roberts – once a star of the World Wrestling Federation circuit – of causing unnecessary cruelty to the python between August and September 2003.

Roberts, whose real name is Aurelian Smith Jnr, did not attend the three-day trial and was convicted in his absence.

Magistrates issued a warrant ordering the 6ft 6in wrestler to return to court at a date to be fixed to be sentenced.

The RSPCA, which brought the prosecution, said the snake had not been fed for several months, was suffering from mouth rot and was kept in an unsuitable tank in the garage of his home.

Magistrates were told Roberts waved the snake around before his wrestling bouts and threw it towards defeated opponents.

“We are satisfied that Mr Smith (Roberts) was responsible for the day-to-day care of the snake,” said magistrate’s chairman Mike Bamford.

“The snake was in a very poor condition.”

He added: “We are considering a community punishment sentence, fine and a ban on keeping reptiles.”

Magistrates were told by the RSPCA that the snake had died after being seized by RSPCA inspectors.

RSPCA officials said its remains would now be destroyed.

Roberts’ business partner Valerie Burnham, 59, who shared a house with Roberts in London Colney, was found not guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to the snake.

Snake dealer Kevin Wicks, 30, of Bracknell, Berkshire, who had given the snake to Roberts, was found not guilty of permitting unnecessary suffering to the python

The Mackem
11-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Sorry about the font.

It's interesting because I wonder if he will change his name what with not being allowed to keep a snake and after all that time of him being a snake man, I feel betrayed that he mistreats them :shifty:

Synergy
11-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Blimey, I drive through where he lives to get to work!

To be honest, after seeing the state of him in beyond the mat, I would have thought rural Hertfordshire would be the last place he would end up!

Corkscrewed
11-04-2004, 05:42 PM
That's what happens when you get too drunk to care for pets....

Eh... seriously, tho, that really sucks. I hate to see animal mistreatment, especially from a guy synonymous with his pet.

samichna
11-04-2004, 05:44 PM
When I first saw Jake Roberts in the title, I thought he died.

I guess this is better. :-\

Disturbed316
11-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Jake "The Snake Beater" Roberts :'(

Took
11-04-2004, 06:09 PM
I'd laugh if one day a snake curls around his body and suffocates him to death.

V
11-04-2004, 06:17 PM
and i'd laugh if a chicken, pig, cow, or other animals kill you

so should every meat eater be fined as well?

Bad Company
11-04-2004, 06:25 PM
way to kill his own gimmick.

Aussie Skier
11-05-2004, 03:20 AM
hehehe, a new stable when Austin comes back!

Steve "wife-beater" Austin
Jake "Snake-killer" Roberts
Gene "Baby-Killer" Snitsky

Drakul
11-05-2004, 03:24 AM
I heard he mistreated his snake ages ago.