PDA

View Full Version : World Heavyweight Championship or WWE Championship?

The Naitch
11-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Which one do you consider number one?

V
11-06-2004, 04:56 PM
world, by far, i dont' know why, i guess it's just cuz Raw is the superior brand, JBL doesn't have much to do with it, i just liked the world title more ever since hbk won it in the elmination chamber giving it some meaning (it had none when it was just handed to triple h)

The Naitch
11-06-2004, 04:57 PM
poll btw

Disturbed316
11-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I've always considered the WWE title the main title in the WWE, so I guess I'll go with that.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 05:04 PM
WWE Title because the RAW title to me is like the Million $ Belt, you know its going always relove around one guy.

Eunos
11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
The WWE title even if it is currently being held by some old Tag team wrestler.

Xero
11-06-2004, 05:08 PM
The World title only because it's the "world" title, as in all over the world, not just in the WWE. :shifty: Also because, to me, it seems more important, and not just because Triple H is holding it.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 05:09 PM
ha ha

yeah, the "WWE" title isn't defended all over the world.

John la Rock
11-06-2004, 05:12 PM
World Heavyweight Title

Triple H
11-06-2004, 05:13 PM
There is another title? :?:

Sephiroth
11-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Meh, WWE Championship

123 kid
11-06-2004, 05:18 PM
WWE Championship - as it is the original championship. I still consider the World Heavyweight as the WcW title.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 05:20 PM
HHH's Title. I see Smackdown's Title as like the IC Title right now.

MVP
11-06-2004, 05:23 PM
The title that's on RAW right now does not carry the lineage of NWA/WCW's World Heavyweight title; WWE title is number one by far.

Funky Fly
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
They should be equal, but the WWE have gone out of ther way to make Raw look superior.

Savio
11-06-2004, 05:29 PM
World title is HHHes belt so WWE

Mr. Nerfect
11-06-2004, 05:49 PM
The WWE Championship. They've sort of had a 5-time WWE Champion in Triple H try and make the World Heavyweight Title look on its level, but the WWE Championship has the NWA/WCW Championship dissolved into it.

Mr. JL
11-06-2004, 05:55 PM
WWE Championship by far. It was combined with the WWF and WCW Titles to become the Undisputed WWE Championship. It has history and is legit.

World Heavyweight Championship was just created and only has a two year history with Triple H holding onto it 75% of the time defending it in countless shit wrestling matches.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Wait Wait, let me ask you this though. Say both of the Titles were created at the same time. (when HHH's was created) Now which one do you see as number 1?

MVP
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
^In those circumstances I still say the WWE title. More credible guys like Angle, Eddie, and Lesnar have held the title as opposed to Triple H's 4 time reign. HBK and Benoit are the only two credible guys that held the World title.

Mr. JL
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
The Angle V. Benoit match for the WWE CHAMPIONSHIP at the Rumble '03 alone puts the WWE Championship above any World Heavyweight Championship match, in my opinion.

Maybe I am just anti-Triple H.

Triple H
11-06-2004, 06:20 PM
HBK and Benoit are the only two credible guys that held the World title.

*ahem*

Mike the Metal Ed
11-06-2004, 06:24 PM
World Title, I still can't take a title held by Bradshaw seriously as a top belt, even though I like the character.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Wait Wait, let me ask you this though. Say both of the Titles were created at the same time. (when HHH's was created) Now which one do you see as number 1?

Honestly, I would still go with the WWE title.

Really the only time I thought the World Title looked more prestigious (leaving all the talk of history out of the equation) was right after Eddie dropped the title to SD and Benoit was coming off the Triple Threat matches and having solid-great TV matches.

However, since then, I think both titles have seemed worthless. JBL is doing the Honky Tonk Man gimmick, great for the IC champ, not so good for the Heavyweight champ. Then on RAW they had the period where Benoit and the title got demoted in favour of Hunter's stuff. They seemed to turn it around with the good match with Orton and Benoit at Summerslam, but then that went nowhere with it, and HHH got it back in a huge CF match. Since then the title has only gone downhill. To the point where I dont care at all about it.

Going back to late 02/03, the WWE title had the Brock-Taker respect program, Benoit-Angle program, the Brock-Angle program and the Eddie-Angle program. There were other stuff in between, but those were the major programs. To me that blows away what RAW had, which was HHH going thorugh RVD, Kane, HBK, BT, Nash and Goldberg in 03. It didn't start to get going until Benoit showed up for Mania, and also the Rumble 04 match with HBK.

So overall, even though JBL has done the title no favours (hasn't had a great title match since Eddie and he's questionable as a worthy champion), the overall body of world title work has been better on SD than on RAW since Spet 02.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 06:27 PM
The Angle V. Benoit match for the WWE CHAMPIONSHIP at the Rumble '03 alone puts the WWE Championship above any World Heavyweight Championship match, in my opinion.

Maybe I am just anti-Triple H.

Yeah Ive been watching the Benoit DVD, and I thought that match was even better than the TT match at Mania. And actually after watching Mania again, I thought the Eddie-Angle match was better, but live I felt Benoit's was better, so I can see it both ways.

Mr. JL
11-06-2004, 06:28 PM
^^ What does 'CF' mean?

123 kid
11-06-2004, 06:29 PM

THEN I would say World Heavyweight, I mean you'd never see JBL as World Heavyweight Champ, would you?

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 06:29 PM
You know what, I think before JBL got it, I would of said WWE. I forgot about all those matches and CyNick just refreshed my memory. But I don't know, JBL really killed it for me. In my eyes, I don't see him as a legit Champion. He's still a mid carder in my eyes. But yea, when Nash, RVD, Kane and Booker were fighting HHH, I saw Smackdown's Title as the better one.

Get the dam Title off of JBL :mad: But even if Booker gets it, I'll still see it as #2. I see him as a mid carder as well. Angle, Show, Guerrero or Taker need to grab that Belt.

MVP
11-06-2004, 06:31 PM
*ahem*If you think I'm going to say HHH you are wrong.

BTW everyone knows you're a troll; so just give up.

Funky Fly
11-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Pretty much what LC said, except the Booker T part. He's been dogged his whole WWE career. I hate how they're intentionally lowering all the WCW main eventers to midcarders.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 06:39 PM
^^ What does 'CF' mean?

CF = cluster-F*&%

it refers to a match ending with a bunch of people running in and interfering, think how the majority of matches used to end on Nitro back in the NWO days for prime examples.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 06:40 PM
You know what, I think before JBL got it, I would of said WWE. I forgot about all those matches and CyNick just refreshed my memory. But I don't know, JBL really killed it for me. In my eyes, I don't see him as a legit Champion. He's still a mid carder in my eyes. But yea, when Nash, RVD, Kane and Booker were fighting HHH, I saw Smackdown's Title as the better one.

Get the dam Title off of JBL :mad: But even if Booker gets it, I'll still see it as #2. I see him as a mid carder as well. Angle, Show, Guerrero or Taker need to grab that Belt.

Yeah I'm kinda on the fence with BT. I like him, he works hard, but he's been jobbed out too much to be taken anymore seriously than JBL is now. I'm pretty sure they will put the belt on show in December and then Angle in January. So that'll help the title get back to where it was, because at least those guys are recognized as top level guys.

Mr. Nerfect
11-06-2004, 06:43 PM

That's interesting. I'd still say the WWE Championship, though, because Triple H seems to get the World Heavyweight Title, then he loses it to someone. Out of 8 championship runs, Triple H has held four and only once has it changed hands between two people that aren't Triple H. Going back to when the Undisputed Championship between brand ecxclusive, you have Brock Lesnar, The Big Show, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero & JBL. I'm fairly certain that is the order. The booking has been completely different with the WWE Title, than the World Heavyweight Title.

The WHC seems to revolve around Triple H (and Evolution's) dominance, while the WWE Championship, although had some swaps between Angle & Lesnar (which is a good thing, because it shows that these guys are always at the top of their game), seems to create an upside down pyramid, if you will. Eddie Guerrero is more deserving than Angle, Lesnar & Show, while JBL has proven to be more deserving than Eddie Guerrero. It sort of says each championis more deserving than the previous ones. The World Heavyweight Championship is more like a ball, in that it is thrown by one guy to another, then thrown back.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 06:43 PM
YEA, no disrespect to Booker, but he's been buried to many times where I can see him as the World Champion. It's not his fault, but he hasn't really beat anybody to deserve being a Champ. And neither did JBL. They both just sort of walked right into the Title picture. Like remember Guerrero when he had the US Title and the Tag Team Titles. That is how you build somebody up. He should of won the World Title after that, but they jobbed him out to Show for some reason.

Mr. JL
11-06-2004, 06:45 PM
CF = cluster-F*&%

it refers to a match ending with a bunch of people running in and interfering, think how the majority of matches used to end on Nitro back in the NWO days for prime examples.
I thought that was what it meant

....and pretty much every NWA: TNA title match has ended that way

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 06:46 PM
That's interesting. I'd still say the WWE Championship, though, because Triple H seems to get the World Heavyweight Title, then he loses it to someone. Out of 8 championship runs, Triple H has held four and only once has it changed hands between two people that aren't Triple H. Going back to when the Undisputed Championship between brand ecxclusive, you have Brock Lesnar, The Big Show, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero & JBL. I'm fairly certain that is the order. The booking has been completely different with the WWE Title, than the World Heavyweight Title.

The WHC seems to revolve around Triple H (and Evolution's) dominance, while the WWE Championship, although had some swaps between Angle & Lesnar (which is a good thing, because it shows that these guys are always at the top of their game), seems to create an upside down pyramid, if you will. Eddie Guerrero is more deserving than Angle, Lesnar & Show, while JBL has proven to be more deserving than Eddie Guerrero. It sort of says each championis more deserving than the previous ones. The World Heavyweight Championship is more like a ball, in that it is thrown by one guy to another, then thrown back.

See, I agree with mainly everything there, but JBL is in no way more deserving then Eddie IMO. I think the Belt did a 180 with JBL and went backwards.

Mr. JL
11-06-2004, 06:59 PM
See, I agree with mainly everything there, but JBL is in no way more deserving then Eddie IMO. I think the Belt did a 180 with JBL and went backwards.
Spare his match against Taker at Summer Slam I think JBL has done a good job holding the title. I loved his match against Undertaker at No Mercy. They had me glued to the TV.

To say he is not deserving would not be entirely accurate. JBL is certainly no Angle, Benoit or Guerrero in the ring but he has gotten the job done and taken some painful bumps when he needed to. His mic work has been fantastic. Bradshaw has paid his dues. He worked in the tag team division for God knows how many years. He was always there. And now in his singles run he's showing us that he is definitely more than a tag team wrestler. Yes, maybe he could have used a U.S. title run or two but so far as WWE Champ he's had me quite entertained. In my eyes he has not hurt the WWE titles credibility at all.

Though, everyone certainly has their own opinion and that is fine as well.

Plus, Orlando Jordan is no longer an unknown.

Loose Cannon
11-06-2004, 07:05 PM
yes, it's a matter of how each of us sees it. JBL just walked in and was suddenly feuding for the World Title. I can't get past that. I'm a big Buildup person. That's why I liked Orton so much, cause he just kept going and going until he was ready for a Title Shot, which he should of lost BTW.

Anyway, I wanted to say something else about JBL before. When the Title gets back on one of those four guys and JBL goes back to the midcards, that midcard division will look real strong. I hope they put the US Title on JBL cause that would really help that belt's cred. And you know what, I can actually see JBL turning face and getting mega over with the crowd, while feuding with CCC or something.

Mayo
11-06-2004, 08:40 PM
World Title because Raw seems to be the superior brand.

Imagi-Nation
11-06-2004, 09:44 PM
World Title, because JBL holds the WWE Title so it holds no credibility in my eyes at this current time.

Mr. Nerfect
11-06-2004, 10:09 PM

I agree with that. But in 20 years when the new generation sprouts up and Eddie Guerrero's greatness is legend, and JBL is just another mark in the WWE Championship heritage, they're gonna look at the history of the belt and go "Wow, JBL (storyline-wise) was tougher than Eddie Guerrero then. Then they'll look at how he won it (in a Texas Bullrope Match), and they'll go "Oh, he was a otough Texas guy!".

The point of the story is that Eddie Guerrero is much more deserving in reality, but JBL is being billed as deserving storyline-wise. Eddie Guerrero will get the title again, and then we'll see Eddie Guerrero was still getting better when he won his first championship. Just being optimistic, I guess.

The CyNick
11-06-2004, 11:05 PM
At the same time with wrestling being a work, you could take anyone, even David Arquete and make them champion. WCW could have ran with Arquette as champ for months, but people would have been turned off.

So with any world title you have to keep it on people that fans accpet as top guys. I agree with LC when he says JBL was put int he world title picture with literally no build, that definately hurt.

I dont think JBL has hurt the company in any way, because numbers wise SD is pretty much in the same spot with him as champ as they were with Eddie and slightly better than they are on RAW with the almighty as World Champ. But I do think it would help the credibility of the title if they put it one of the universally recognized top guys on that side (Eddie, Kurt, Show or Taker). Ultimately it should be put on Cena, but thats another story for another day.

In terms of Eddie, I think fans still see Eddie as a guy who is "above" JBL even though JBL won every match they had. The fact of the matter is that every one of their matches were laid out to make Eddie look better than JBL. In the match in LA, Eddie wouldn't quit even though he lost 4 or 5 pints of blood. In the Bull Rope match, JBL only won because Angle overturned the initial decision and JBL didn't win with an offensive move. And then in the Cage Match, Kurt cost Eddie the match. And even judging by the reactions of the fans, I still think Eddie is seen as a bigger star.

As for where to go with JBL post dropping the title. I would hope think he'll be given a US title run. But at the same time, Carlito has that belt, and I'd hate to see him drop it too quickly. I mentioned before that I'd like to see Hogan-JBL do a program at Mania (brutal match in the ring, I know). But I think they could do some good stuff promo wise, and their gimmicks are perfect opponents for one another. Of course JBL would have to go over, and I think that would give him some legitimacy in the fans' eyes. From there maybe he could get the US title or remain a top challenger for the WWE title.

Mr. Nerfect
11-07-2004, 01:41 AM
At the same time with wrestling being a work, you could take anyone, even David Arquete and make them champion. WCW could have ran with Arquette as champ for months, but people would have been turned off.

So with any world title you have to keep it on people that fans accpet as top guys. I agree with LC when he says JBL was put int he world title picture with literally no build, that definately hurt.

I dont think JBL has hurt the company in any way, because numbers wise SD is pretty much in the same spot with him as champ as they were with Eddie and slightly better than they are on RAW with the almighty as World Champ. But I do think it would help the credibility of the title if they put it one of the universally recognized top guys on that side (Eddie, Kurt, Show or Taker). Ultimately it should be put on Cena, but thats another story for another day.

In terms of Eddie, I think fans still see Eddie as a guy who is "above" JBL even though JBL won every match they had. The fact of the matter is that every one of their matches were laid out to make Eddie look better than JBL. In the match in LA, Eddie wouldn't quit even though he lost 4 or 5 pints of blood. In the Bull Rope match, JBL only won because Angle overturned the initial decision and JBL didn't win with an offensive move. And then in the Cage Match, Kurt cost Eddie the match. And even judging by the reactions of the fans, I still think Eddie is seen as a bigger star.

As for where to go with JBL post dropping the title. I would hope think he'll be given a US title run. But at the same time, Carlito has that belt, and I'd hate to see him drop it too quickly. I mentioned before that I'd like to see Hogan-JBL do a program at Mania (brutal match in the ring, I know). But I think they could do some good stuff promo wise, and their gimmicks are perfect opponents for one another. Of course JBL would have to go over, and I think that would give him some legitimacy in the fans' eyes. From there maybe he could get the US title or remain a top challenger for the WWE title.

That is why you are the best. :'(

I would love to see JBL/Hogan. I also think something as simple as JBL/Triple H would be good

Aussie Skier
11-07-2004, 03:32 AM

a match between hogan and JBL would be awesome!!!

And i dont neccasarilly feel that JBL would hafta win either.
If they could both bleed a bit, ppl recognise hogan's legacy, and JBL even matching it with hogan would be :y:

Aussie Skier
11-07-2004, 03:35 AM
i think the world championship is higher than the wwe championship.

as much as i love JBL (i was the only person cheering for him at the melbourne show), he was rushed into the spotlight too quickly. A month earlier he had lost in a four way tag team match to two wrestlers who were fairly big names in 2000. a month before that, him and farooq were outclasses by charlie haas and shelton benjamin, and a month before that, he was the first wrestler eliminated in the royal rumble.

i just HATE that fast run 2 the top.

but alienoid is saying is quite correct, and in years to come, that fast run to the top wont be recognsied as such

Mr. Nerfect
11-07-2004, 04:05 AM
a match between hogan and JBL would be awesome!!!

And i dont neccasarilly feel that JBL would hafta win either.
If they could both bleed a bit, ppl recognise hogan's legacy, and JBL even matching it with hogan would be :y:

I agree. I think it would have almost a "classic" feel to it. Hogan's got the finishing leg strike, and Bradshaw's got the arm strike. Plus they've both got cartoony characters they portray, which will paint face and heel quite easily. Their names as well (Hollywood Hulk Hogan & John Bradshaw Layfield), there's just something about them that clicks.

Maybe it could turn out JBL has "invested" in Brooke Hogan, and that ticks of the Hulkster. :shifty:

diamondcutter
11-08-2004, 04:05 AM
I voted for the World Title. Since the lineage of both belts are rather convoluted, I based my decision by the names of the titles. To me, being the "Heavyweight Champion of the World," sounds more important than being "The Heavyweight Champion of WWE.