PDA

View Full Version : Bonds wins NL MVP for 4th Straight Year

John la Rock
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Barry has done it again. He is by far the most feared hitter in the Majors.

I was kind of hoping that Beltre would win but whatever. Bonds deserved it

VonErich Lives
11-15-2004, 04:15 PM
If it's proved he was on roids and knew it, does that change your opinion?

John la Rock
11-15-2004, 04:23 PM
No not at all. As I posted before, Hitting is 99 % hand/eye co-oridination. Steroids don't turn a pop up into a line-drive

The Miz
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
If it's proved he was on roids and knew it, does that change your opinion?
Wow

VonErich Lives
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
No not at all. As I posted before, Hitting is 99 % hand/eye co-oridination. Steroids don't turn a pop up into a line-drive

Huh? it doesn't... actually it can... strength increase and bat speed, also it's been proven that certain roids can help eye sight and effect reflexes.... espn or cnnsi had a thing on them awhile ago.

The Miz
11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
VEL have you ever played a game of baseball before

VonErich Lives
Wow

+1

VonErich Lives
VEL have you ever played a game of baseball before

Yeah, and if I didn't what's your point?

Supreme Olajuwon
11-15-2004, 04:30 PM
They really should change the name of the award

MVP
11-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Beltre got screwed.

RBM
11-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Huh? it doesn't... actually it can... strength increase and bat speed, also it's been proven that certain roids can help eye sight and effect reflexes.... espn or cnnsi had a thing on them awhile ago.

So, was he on steroids the other 3 times he was nominated as MVP before his breakout power surge these past 4 years?

Steroids or not, he's an amazing player.

VonErich Lives
11-15-2004, 06:14 PM
So, was he on steroids the other 3 times he was nominated as MVP before his breakout power surge these past 4 years?

Steroids or not, he's an amazing player.

I agree 100%, I thought he was great back w/ the Pirates when he tore it up...

All I asked was a question and the Miz seemed to be offended...

Let's say for argument he was on roids, let's then say "what if he wasn't" he'd still have put up great numbers... may not have broken the HR record... but his speed/bat/fielding combo of natural talent is amazing.

YOUR Hero
11-15-2004, 08:53 PM
I thought Beltre would get it, even though Bonds was the superior player, not making the playoffs and all...

BabyHugger
11-15-2004, 10:53 PM
It doesnt matter if Bonds is on Steroids, he is the greatest power hitter that has ever lived regardless.

Took
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
It doesnt matter if Bonds is on Steroids, he is the greatest power hitter that has ever lived regardless.

This I disagree with..I'll admit he has power and is a great hitter, but he was never the power hitter he is now. All of a sudden, in his late 30's, he can hit for 70 plus homers?? Mark McGwire was knocking bombs outta stadiums when he was a rookie..49 in his rookie year, and as he got more developped in the body, he'd hit more..that is natural. Bonds was a 30 to 35 hme run hitter, he was once 185 pounds in his early 30's, then he just keeps getting bigger and knocks out a record breaking amount of homers in his LATE 30's...that's BS. Bonds is no power hitter ala Mark or sosa or whoever else. No way.

BabyHugger
11-15-2004, 11:11 PM
You are wrong

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondsba01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mcgwima01.shtml

Pretty comparable

Took
11-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Big Mac was injured often though. His hr per at bat ratio I believe is much better then Bonds..or at least better.

BabyHugger
11-15-2004, 11:19 PM
No, it is not much better. Career wise, Bonds is better. Bonds just took a few more years to mature as a HR hitter, because at his young age he was viewed more as a pure hitter. He didnt really become a power hitter until 3 or 4 years into his career. He is still the greatest power hitter of all time in my opinion simply because he is a good hitter. McGwire was a terrible hitter who only hit HRs. He struck out WAY more times.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Bonds is no power hitter ala Mark or sosa or whoever else. No way.
Sosa hit 36 the year before he hit 66

DegenerationY
11-16-2004, 02:01 AM
Sosa would be nowhere without roids.

Funniest thing I saw in recent history was when Sosa was interviewed, and kept saying "bring on the roid testing," he was asked to take a test on the spot. He flipped his lid, cursed the guy out and refused. HMM, A BIT CURIOUS.

Roids or no Roids, Bonds is still one of the best hitters in the game. It's not as if all Bonds did was hit homeruns. He's become a great all around hitter in recent years. So fuck the home run record, he's still amazing.

Beltre's numbers were amazing this year, but for some reason, I have a feeling it's a bit of a fluke. Only time will tell...

VonErich Lives
12-03-2004, 08:13 AM
Thought I'd give this a bump.

So, I ask the question again (and don't assume you know my answer to it).

If it comes out that Bonds was using roids, knowingly (let's for the sake of this question say he knew what he was doing) do you take away any awards and/or records during that time?

Loose Cannon
12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
You can't take away the records, I mean, what's done is done. But, it does leave quite a stain in all the things he's accomplished in the last couple of years. I mean, it's like back in HS Track for me. I never took any kind of drug to enhance my upperbody strentgh or leg speed, but you just knew some of those kids did and some of them did get caught for taking illegal substances. (I'm talking about the sprinters mainly) I kind of felt it was unfair at times seeing these huge guys and I'm not saying that all of them used drugs, but in the back of your mind, it's like, "How am I suppossed to beat these kids if they're using stuff that makes them faster and gives them more energy and I'm not." Same goes for every sports. You always hear about college and HS athletes taking drugs. It just sucks that others who don't do that shit are at a disadvantage at times.