PDA

View Full Version : WWE Threatens To Sue TNA. Ridiculous

Loose Cannon
11-16-2004, 07:21 PM
TNA issued the following press release:

WWE SENDS LEGAL WARNING TO TNA

Nashville, TN (November 16, 2004) – World Wrestling Entertainment issued a letter to TNA Entertainment, LLC on November 11th demanding the surrender of video footage shot at Universal Studios on November 10th.

In the document sent by Bella Karakis, Vice President Intellectual Property, WWE informed TNA that in order to avoid any further legal action by WWE, TNA would need to agree not to use the video footage , surrender the video footage to WWE within 7 business days, and sign and return an acknowledgment form.

On November 10, while filming vignettes for TNA’s upcoming pay-per-view, “Turning Point”, TNA Superstars 3 Live Kru, Traci, Abyss and “The Franchise” Shane Douglas attempted to welcome Vince McMahon and WWE talent who were also at Universal Studios taping a commercial. Universal Studios is TNA’s home studio where iMPACT! and Xplosion are taped every week. The TNA Superstars brought cookies and balloons to greet WWE talent and staff who were taking a catering break outside in the common area of the studios.

TNA and the TNA Superstars involved are very disappointed with threats of legal action.

“Competition is great and makes the wrestling category stronger as a whole but obviously we are the only ones who feel that way,” “The Franchise” Shane Douglas said. “We attempted to extend a hand and were disappointed by the treatment we received in our own backyard.”

The alternative for the true wrestling fan, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling prides itself on delivering quality, family programming that is clean, innovative, cutting edge and with the high-risk, high-flying athleticism that TNA Wrestling is known for. Total Nonstop Action Wrestling “iMPACT!” airs Fridays at 3:00 p.m. on FSN (check local listings). TNA “Xplosion” is a syndicated program (check local listings). TNA Wrestling pay-per-views are available on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Viewers Choice Canada, Bell ExpressVu and Shaw Communications. For more information, log on to www.tnawrestling.com.

------------------------------

Wow, they really need to get there heads out of thier own asses :nono: :nono: :nono:

Funky Fly
11-16-2004, 07:27 PM
<marquee scrollamount=5 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=10 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=15 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=20 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=25 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=30 direction=right>:rofl:</marquee>

The WWE is ridiculous.

samichna
11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Damn, that is some hot rofl shit, Funky.

Londoner
11-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Fuck WWE, if they do sue TNA, that will suck big time.

MVP
11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I bet Vince feels like a big man.

KayfabeMan
11-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Fuck them.

What about the fact that of all the possible places to film something, they intentionally go to a location right next to a 'rival promotion's' home base??

Sounds like they went there looking for some type of shit.

Londoner
11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Yeah kayfabeman but is it worth all this? WWE should just let it go, if they dont end up sueing TNA now though it could only help them get more publicity.

El Santo
11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Vince has been feeling pretty emasculated ever since the World Wildlife Fund totally owned him, dontcha think?

Corkscrewed
11-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Prolly... what a dick. That's just messed up period. It's like he wants to drive wrestling to the ground by himself and won't let anyone do anything that might get it back up again. :'(

ColdwaVer
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah, how dare Vince want to prevent another wrestling organization from using footage that could prove embarrassing to his company. Bastard.

thecc
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Does anyone know if TNA actually has video footage

RemyRed
11-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Funny how in the Monday Night War DVD Vince McMahhon's own words were "I believe in helping yourself, not hurting your competition" (somewhere along those lines). Also funny that Vince even said TNA is not their enemy.

Vinnie-Mac is gettin paranoid over nothing. I mean really..:roll:

Evil Vito
11-16-2004, 08:21 PM
<font color=goldenrod>How the fuck is that even a sue-able offense?</font> :wtf:

VJW
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Funny how in the Monday Night War DVD Vince McMahhon's own words were "I believe in helping yourself, not hurting your competition" (somewhere along those lines). Also funny that Vince even said TNA is not their enemy.

Vinnie-Mac is gettin paranoid over nothing. I mean really..:roll:

What do you expect from such a biased DVD? :-\

Splaya
11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I think this is Vince starting to get nervous on 2 counts. 1 that some of his employees will leave WWE after their contracts run up and go to TNA, and 2 that TNA got some exposure about this incident. Personally it makes WWE look like the asses and TNA the good guys here.

Mike the Metal Ed
11-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I think this is Vince starting to get nervous on 2 counts. 1 that some of his employees will leave WWE after their contracts run up and go to TNA, and 2 that TNA got some exposure about this incident. Personally it makes WWE look like the asses and TNA the good guys here.

Look like? :shifty:

Head
11-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, how dare Vince want to prevent another wrestling organization from using footage that could prove embarrassing to his company. Bastard.
Completly agreed. Vince has every right to ensure that his talent is not filmed for the benefit of a competing company. I'll bet almost all of you would do the same exact thing if you were in his situation.

The CyNick
11-16-2004, 08:44 PM
I can see WWE's POV.

If TNA has footage of WWE people looking stupid and/or weak, they wouldn't want TNA to be able to use that footage in order to get themselves over.

Its al about intellectual property. TNA would be using the WWE name and some of its talent (ahgain more intellectual property) to make money for themsleves. Its in WWE's best interest to avoid that from happening.

Now, if I were TNA I would use as much of the footage as I could. As Ive said before, they are going to go out of business anyway, you might as well try to hit a home run before you strike out.

BloodRiotZero
11-16-2004, 08:51 PM
But on what grounds exactly would WWE be able to sue?

IMO, this is not too different than when D-X invaded WCW. If WWF would have gotten footage of a WCW wrestler, you think they wouldn't have used it?

And Cynick, why do you say with such certainty that TNA will be going out of business?

Head
11-16-2004, 08:54 PM
You said it yourself BloodRiot, the WWE didn't get footage of a WCW wrestler, and that's why the two situations a lot different.

WWE's legal ground is theft of intellectual property.

RemyRed
11-16-2004, 08:54 PM
I can see WWE's POV.

If TNA has footage of WWE people looking stupid and/or weak, they wouldn't want TNA to be able to use that footage in order to get themselves over.

Its all about intellectual property. TNA would be using the WWE name and some of its talent (ahgain more intellectual property) to make money for themsleves. Its in WWE's best interest to avoid that from happening.

Now, if I were TNA I would use as much of the footage as I could. As Ive said before, they are going to go out of business anyway, you might as well try to hit a home run before you strike out.
Yep, they might as well do all they can since they'll never be on the same level as WWE.

Mr. JL
11-16-2004, 09:01 PM
1. Since TNA fans are hardcore internet fans, most of them are tuned in to what is going behind the scenes. So it would look pretty bad if TNA pussied out and gave in to the WWE's demands.

2. If TNA signs anything they are going to be fucked over with.

3. Fuck the WWE! Like Cynick said, if TNA is going out of business anyways you might as well give the WWE a big FUCK YOU ASSHOLES MONOPOLIZING THE BUSINESS FAREWELL. TNA would be respected for that for years to come. The anti-WWE movement would probally be at an all-time high. I'd like to see it.

Loose Cannon
11-16-2004, 09:14 PM
:'( they will make my company look weak :'( about 3,000 people will see :'(

Come on, let's be real here. It's not like TNA is going to air the footage and then TNA gets huge all of a sudden.

RemyRed
11-16-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm sure Vince knows that, but he just wants to kill his competition really quick this time around :nono:

The Naitch
11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
lol nicely done Vinny Mac :y:

Aussie Skier
11-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Your all talking like TNA is the good guy and wwe is the big bad guy who doesnt want competition.

Now, i may not have all the facts, but weren't TNA the FUCKWITS who said none of their wrestlers could perform for other fed (daniels, aj etc...in ROH)? - whose scared of competition again?

The Naitch
11-16-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm with Vince and the WWE on this one.

Get the TNA OUT!

The CyNick
11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
But on what grounds exactly would WWE be able to sue?

IMO, this is not too different than when D-X invaded WCW. If WWF would have gotten footage of a WCW wrestler, you think they wouldn't have used it?

And Cynick, why do you say with such certainty that TNA will be going out of business?

It simple, they dont make any profits. At some point the company that owns TNA will get sick of losing money and will drop them, unless TNA can find another sugar daddy they will be out of business.

The CyNick
11-16-2004, 11:46 PM
:'( they will make my company look weak :'( about 3,000 people will see :'(

Come on, let's be real here. It's not like TNA is going to air the footage and then TNA gets huge all of a sudden.

Its perception though.

If TNA can air this footage, and then it gets some people talking, who in turn tell their friends, they could have something. Plus, the way the whole thing went down, it sounds like WWE comes off really bad.

Some people would argue thats how Nitro surged so far ahead of WWE in 96. They used people who were seen as WWE talent invading the WCW show, and people got hooked. To their credit they had a run of really solid TV, which allowed them to maintain the audience, but the inital pop of Hall, Nash and then Hogan was enough to get eyeballs on the show and more importantly get people talking.

I dont think the same would happen, to the same degree anyway, with TNA, but even if they were to gain a few extra buys on their next PPV off of it, why should Vince allow the properties he built with his own money to be used to make another company more money?

I mean he's not obligated, nor should he be expected to keep TNA afloat, much less help them become successful. If anything he should be trying to stop them from getting off the ground. Which he may be doing with this action, but the fact of the matter is, the properties are his, and he shouldn't sit back and let someone do damage to them.

Corkscrewed
11-17-2004, 04:02 AM
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think the suit could be a good thing. If TNA can take it into the public spectrum and get more publicity, and manage to get the suit dismissed (to me it doesn't seem like it can really be that harmful, despite the arguments I've heard), it would really help them gain coverage.

KayfabeMan
11-17-2004, 04:28 AM
Air the footage.

Either:
A) Air the footage and blur the participants from the neck up, ala "Cops" [and also any use of the WWE logo or anything similar to it]....or....

B) Sell the tape to The Best Damn Sports Show Period and they can air it.

Let them sue away...the last time they were in court they lost their name. Like CS said above, it's free publicity.

Loose Cannon
11-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I just want something interesting to happen in wrestling cause god knows it hasn't happened in a while.

If there is two things humans love in this world, it's reality and contraversy. Air that dam footage TNA :y:

BTW: I agree with Kayfabe and TNA should sell the footage and have someon else air it. Sell it to Turner :lol:

Loose Cannon
11-17-2004, 11:20 AM
**From WrestlingPlanet

- TNA ran a video stating that they tried to approach WWE at their Royal Rumble commercial filming at Universal Studios last week but were given legal threats. TNA plans to hold a poll at TNAWrestling.com letting their fans decide whether they should air their footage of the entire incident on Impact. WWE has told TNA that if they air the footage, they will file a lawsuit against them.
--------------------------

Nice :lol: All you guys better god dam vote "yes" on this poll. Let's get wrestling cooking again.

The Naitch
11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Maybe have the pandas join sides with TNA.

Innovator
11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Maybe have the pandas join sides with TNA.
then the terrorists win

The Naitch
11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
D-Generation Panda

RemyRed
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
That poll'll be rigged.

Head
11-17-2004, 06:23 PM
1. Since TNA fans are hardcore internet fans, most of them are tuned in to what is going behind the scenes. So it would look pretty bad if TNA pussied out and gave in to the WWE's demands.

2. If TNA signs anything they are going to be fucked over with.

3. Fuck the WWE! Like Cynick said, if TNA is going out of business anyways you might as well give the WWE a big FUCK YOU ASSHOLES MONOPOLIZING THE BUSINESS FAREWELL. TNA would be respected for that for years to come. The anti-WWE movement would probally be at an all-time high. I'd like to see it.
The issue isn't whether or not it would be cool for TNA to air the footage, or if it would make such of a difference. The issue is that it's illegal.

Personally, I would love to see them air it, it would definitly be entertaining, but the fact of the matter is the WWE still would definitly win a court case.

Tornado
11-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Wow, way to overreact Vince.

Volchok
11-17-2004, 07:18 PM
air the damn footage... Vince wont do shit.. hes just trying to scare TNA...

Head
11-17-2004, 07:20 PM
What makes you think he won't do shit...the WWE has a history of taking legal action in cases similar to this.

Loose Cannon
11-17-2004, 07:21 PM
great

.44 Magdalene
11-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah...I can see it all now.

*Jeff Jarret is about to slowly hand over the WWE tape. Vince McMahon starts to tug it away, but Jarret doesn't let go. They glare at each other for a minute. Suddenly...the Spiderman theme hits! Vinnie Mac turns as Stan Lee starts to run down to the ring...but while the big Mac is distracted by Marvel's main man, THE PANDA HITS THE RING! RKO! RKO! OMGWTFRKO! IT'S PANDAMONIUM IN THE RING! Jarret, Stan Lee and the Panda start to beat the living bejezus out of Vince McMahon! My god, what an unholy alliance!*

Then it will get booked really badly and people will complain about the WWF / TNA / Marvel invasion angle for a good couple of years. The end.

The CyNick
11-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Its definately a risk.

WWE has boat loads of money, TNA doesn't. If Vince wanted to, he could probably drag this thing through the courts for a long time. IN theory it could give pub to TNA, but if they were to lose the lawsuit, they'd likely be finished.

The Naitch
11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Yeah...I can see it all now.

*Jeff Jarret is about to slowly hand over the WWE tape. Vince McMahon starts to tug it away, but Jarret doesn't let go. They glare at each other for a minute. Suddenly...the Spiderman theme hits! Vinnie Mac turns as Stan Lee starts to run down to the ring...but while the big Mac is distracted by Marvel's main man, THE PANDA HITS THE RING! RKO! RKO! OMGWTFRKO! IT'S PANDAMONIUM IN THE RING! Jarret, Stan Lee and the Panda start to beat the living bejezus out of Vince McMahon! My god, what an unholy alliance!*

Then it will get booked really badly and people will complain about the WWF / TNA / Marvel invasion angle for a good couple of years. The end.

not funny :n:

Splaya
11-17-2004, 11:40 PM
I just read on the main page that TNA is going to show the footage this friday on Impact.

TNA sure is going out on a blaze of glory :(

The Naitch
11-17-2004, 11:45 PM
lol TNA is desperate like the kid trying to get the last dance at junior prom

Hardkore Kidd J
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I'm kinda glad for TNA I think it will help their chances with More fans. But, so much for geting TNA on a channel I get now since they're losing money with all the old guys they're hiring and for when WWE sues them.

Evolution
11-18-2004, 12:04 PM
OK, so they air it this Friday.

I'm gonna warn you now, I'm gonna spam this thread in about 6 months when I've seen it on The Wrestling Channel on Sky.

Maybe they should show the footage on tnawrestling.com a couple hours before iMPACT. Or maybe a couple of snippits. Or maybe a screen shot, like a TNA guy talking with a WWE guy. People will think WTF and then the message says "Tune in to iMPACT THIS FRIDAY for full footage"

Loads of buys for that one me thinks.

Mister Sinister
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm mixed about this, since we all know, I've been a TNA Fan for quite some time, and favor it over WWE...and like I said before, I only watch WWE for Jericho and a few others, but I sorta wish TNA would hand over the tape...since one....They don't have hardly any money to begin with....two...they will be done then, since the company backing them, who hasn't made a cent from TNA, would lose a large ammount of money and would finally get fed up with the Fiancial numbers and drop TNA and three...Vince is a bastard, but that's the case regardless

TNA is taking a big risk in talking about releasing that Video Tape...for there sake, it better have something good on it, and better not be just a big disapointment, or well you know...