PDA

View Full Version : Marbury to the Knicks?

The Icon of Elisim
01-05-2004, 04:34 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Stephon Marbury would return to his hometown as part of a blockbuster trade tentatively agreed to Monday by the New York Knicks and Phoenix Suns, sources told The Associated Press.

The Knicks would acquire Marbury, Penny Hardaway and Cezary Trybanski from Phoenix for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Maciej Lampe, the rights to Milos Vujanic, two future first-round draft picks and cash, according to a source close to one of the players who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Three other sources close to the teams confirmed the deal.

The trade would be the fourth of Marbury's career. The Brooklyn native was drafted by Milwaukee and immediately traded to Minnesota, where he subsequently forced a trade to New Jersey. The Nets sent him to Phoenix for Jason Kidd, and he now could be headed to the Knicks in the first major move made by new team president Isiah Thomas.

``I think we got the best deal,'' Knicks center Dikembe Mutombo said. ``He's among the best point guards in the league, he's an All-Star player.''

If the trade is finalized, it would represent a major shakeup for both teams. In exchange for its best player, Phoenix would gain salary cap flexibility. That would allow the Suns to rebuild a team eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season after missing the postseason the year before.

The contracts of McDyess and Ward expire at the end of this season, and Ward has a buyout clause that can be exercised before Jan. 10. Eisley is under contract for three more seasons. Vujanic, the starting point guard on the Yugoslavian team that won the 2002 World Championship, is playing in Europe.

Marbury, one of the league's best point guards, is averaging a team-high 20.8 points for the Suns, who are in last place in the Pacific Division.

Hardaway, a former All-Star, has been a reserve.

McDyess, who played for the Suns in 1997-98, returned to action last month after missing more than a year because of knee surgery. McDyess took over a spot in the Knicks' starting lineup from Kurt Thomas, then lost it -- thereby becoming expendable.

``We've got a scoring point guard coming in, and a two-guard who's been getting it done for a number of years. So it's going to be a different look for us out there, but it definitely should be an improvement,'' Kurt Thomas said.

Eisley, who recently lost his starting job to Frank Williams, did not play in the Knicks' 95-85 loss to New Jersey on Sunday night.

Ward has been with the Knicks for 10 seasons, the second-longest current tenure of any player who spent his career with one NBA team.

If the deal is finalized, Isiah Thomas will have turned over about half the Knicks' roster in the two weeks since he replaced team president Scott Layden.

``I knew right after we got a new sheriff in town that we were in for a shakeup. One of the reasons he was brought here was to shake up the team and get us to the playoffs,'' Mutombo said.

Marbury will be reunited with Keith Van Horn, his teammate in New Jersey. Last summer, Marbury said the Nets didn't win when he was there because he was surrounded with untalented players, lumping Van Horn in with Gheorghe Muresan and Jim McIlvaine.

``No matter how long you play in this league, there's still things that come up that are surprising, and this is definitely one of them,'' Van Horn said. ``Personally we never had any problems. On the court we didn't win, and I think that was the biggest problem that Stephon and I had.''

At 14-21, the Knicks are fifth in a weak Atlantic Division. But with a starting lineup of Marbury, Allan Houston, Van Horn, Thomas and Mutombo, they should have enough talent to snap their two-year streak of missing the playoffs.

``On paper, talentwise, this puts us right up there at the top,'' Van Horn said. ``But that's just paper.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYTg2ZTBwBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0bQ--?slug=ap-suns-knickstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns
-------------

Wow Isiah is really turning that team around, adding an all star point guard like Marbury is pretty big. Houston and Marbury will be a pretty entertaining duo I think, might actually make the Knicks a fun team to watch.

Don't really get the deal from Phoenix's standpoint. I guess its pretty good to get ride of Penny but they seem to be getting fairly little for Marbury (unless this Lampe guy turns out to be as good as some people have been saying).

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I think the rumor is Phoenix is giving up on this season and making room to try and get Kobe next year.

DaveWadding
01-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Kobe sucks. I'm so close to being a Nugs fan...Colangelo is fu</>cking up so hard...

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2004, 04:48 PM
yeah Kobe is awful with those 30 ppg last year

DaveWadding
01-05-2004, 04:53 PM
We now have no decent point guard, all because Colangelo wants to sign a rapist. We are used to being weak up front, but now we're easily the worst team in the West...As a long time fan, I'm pissed. :|

The Outlaw
01-05-2004, 07:24 PM
So he got convicted then?

The Miz
01-05-2004, 07:31 PM
c mutumbo
f van horn
f thomas
g hardaway
g starbury

damn. not bad.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
All personal opinions aside, stats don't lie, Kobe is a very good player. To say he sucks is asinine. That aside, if you don't sign Kobe and Steph is gone, yes the Suns are fuc</>ked. NY absolutely got the best part of the trade. Starbury is the man.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-05-2004, 07:32 PM
c mutumbo
f van horn
f thomas
g hardaway
g starbury

damn. not bad.

Not bad at all. If they got 2 or 3 good bench players, then the East may have a contender in the next year or two.

Loose Cannon
01-05-2004, 07:36 PM
Ah christ, I can't take any more torture from the Suns this season. First Kidd, now Marbury, WTF. The Suns are pretty much finished this season as it is anyway, but I liked Stephon. Penny just plain sucks and is not at all the player he once was with the Magic. That guy was a star with the Magic and he has sucked for the Suns. Well if they get Kobe, eventhough I hate the guy, that would be great for Phoenix.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-05-2004, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't say Penny sucks, I mean the guy still averages 11 or 12. Not great, or even good numbers, but he still helps. And yeah, he is a shadow of his former self.

Stephs first game as a Knick from what I understand is Thursday, against the Rockets

Crimson
01-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Yea Kobe sucks and is a rapist :roll:

I hope the Suns don't get Kobe at all so they can suck even more. This was a bonehead trade,although with 2 first round draft picks included you never know..

The Icon of Elisim
01-05-2004, 09:04 PM
c mutumbo
f van horn
f thomas
g hardaway
g starbury

damn. not bad.

What about Houston?

The Miz
01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
What about Houston?

good point. i'm guessing they'll bench penny rather than houston.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah the current plan is for Penny to be a 6th man. The thought is Steph can elevate Houston.

DaveWadding
01-05-2004, 11:22 PM
TMac has an opt out clause in his contract next year..so if he does opt out, the Suns are gonna shoot for him as well as Kobe...

Loose Cannon
01-05-2004, 11:34 PM
TMac has an opt out clause in his contract next year..so if he does opt out, the Suns are gonna shoot for him as well as Kobe...

WOW TMAC AND KOBE. FINALLY MY SUNS MIGHT PULL OUT A CHAMPIONSHIP....... NAW

DaveWadding
01-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I meant they'll go after both..but only sign 1 or the other :p

Kid Robb
01-06-2004, 12:04 AM
:eek: Had no idea this deal was on the cards.

What happened to Penny? Did he just never get it back after his injuries or what?

Knicks team starts to look pretty good now, but just quietly, a frontline of Marrion, McDyess and Stoudmire is very very very strong. If they had a point to distribute to those three who could also score, or a distributing point and a SG, they'd be gold.

BCWWF
01-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Why does everyone like Stephon Marbury so much? Sure, he is a good player, one of the better point guards in the league, but by no means the best and he is so damn cocky.

The Outlaw
01-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Penny became average after he lost a certain 7 footer on his team.

:y:

Also, because he is good. His jersey is also badass. I might pick it up.

Good day.

DaveWadding
01-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Why does everyone like Stephon Marbury so much? Sure, he is a good player, one of the better point guards in the league, but by no means the best and he is so damn cocky.
are you sad because he demanded a trade? :(

Loose Cannon
01-06-2004, 09:59 AM
I meant they'll go after both..but only sign 1 or the other :p

Yeah thats what I thought, but man that would be fk'n awesome if they got both.

Supreme Olajuwon
01-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I dont think Phoenix will hurt too much from this trade

Barbosa could end up being a huge star and McDyess, Stoudemire, and Marion all are good players

DaveWadding
01-06-2004, 04:52 PM
I dont think Phoenix will hurt too much from this trade

Barbosa could end up being a huge star and McDyess, Stoudemire, and Marion all are good players
Barbosa isnt READY to be thrust into the spotlight *JUST* yet, IMO. and Dice is a stupid dickface with shitty knees.

Kid Robb
01-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Marbury is good but not great.

A large part of the problem is that successful teams in the league don't have their main scorer and ballhandler as the same player. The pass first, second and third and shoot fourth guards like the Kidd's and Tony Parker's of the league are on the successful teams. The catch is that they have the Kenyon Martin's and Tim Duncan's to throw the ball to.

With Van Horn and Houston, Marbury will probably have to distribute more and score less. If he's any sort of a team player (still a ? imo) he'll let his scoring drop and his assists rise in order for the team to be successul. He'll still have the odd massive night, probably quite a few, but if he becomes to concerned with his own production, the Knicks won't go anywhere.

Being back in NY won't hurt him one little bit, so maybe it's the break he needs to change his game a little.

BCWWF
01-06-2004, 10:34 PM
are you sad because he demanded a trade? :(

I could care less about Marbury being traded, he has good skills but he doesnt have more than that. People are saying how he is the man all over in here, but if you read any of the comments he makes he is just an ass hole. Now look where he got after being afraid to share the spotlight with Kevin Garnett. Garnett is currently the best player in the NBA and on a very good team, while Marbury keeps getting dished around to bad teams that he cant win on because "the players around [him] dont have the skill."

I could care less if Marbury were here or not. He didn't get anything out of being traded, the Suns were decent for a year or two, how about the Nets and the Knicks? If he wasn't such a cocky selfish player he could have made an amazing connection with Kevin Garnett, but boo who he didn't. Now we have Sam Cassell who is twice the player and ten times the man Stephon is.

DaveWadding
01-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Marbury keeps getting dished around to bad teams that he cant win on because "the players around [him] dont have the skill."

the Suns were decent for a year or two,
Yeah, bad teams with players who have no skill give the eventual NBA champs a run for their money in the 1st round.

A year or two? The Suns had an Atlanta Brave-like record before the year before last, getting into the playoffs ELEVEN straight years, getting to the Finals once..and even that came down to Game 7.

And the, uh, T'Wolves have done what exactly?

The Mask
01-06-2004, 11:07 PM
I keep reading Marbury as Marbear

right, my bail.

BCWWF
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I dont care about your Arizona teams, please tell me what Stephon Marbury has done to earn the title "The Man" or any other positive remarks off the basketball court.

Why dont you pick something on topic to argue about. The Suns making the playoffs for 11 straight years has nothing to do with Marbury, considering he has been there for what like three years now? I dont know the date they made the finals, but I assume it was the Barkley era, once again having no relevance to Stephon Marbury.

DaveWadding
01-06-2004, 11:14 PM
and tell me where exactly I called Steph "The Man"

DaveWadding
01-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Also, I never said what I said about the Suns and the playoffs had ANYTHING to do with Steph... YOU said the Suns were decent for "one or two years" which I refuted.

BCWWF
01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
I never said that you said the Stephon was the man, but you defended whole heardedly when I said he wasnt.

And correct me if im wrong, but the Suns were decent for one or two years with Stephon.

MoRcHeEbA
01-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Winnipeg Jets had to move to shitty Arizona :'(

DaveWadding
01-07-2004, 12:45 AM
I've never defended Marbury once in this topic..

Kid Robb
01-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Er...the Wolves kicked 15 types of shit out of the Lakers today (albeit w/out Shaq and Malone), and they still have Olowokandi, Wally Scz... and Troy Hudson to return.

Loose Cannon
01-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Suns just realesed Charlie Ward :lol:

The Dub
01-07-2004, 01:30 PM
c mutumbo
f van horn
f thomas
g hardaway
g starbury

damn. not bad.

Allan Houston is the starting shooting guard. I think that this is a great deal for the Knicks because they get rid of all their garbage like Charlie Ward and an injury-prone Antonio McDyess. It's good to see that they were finally able to get an all-star caliber point guard after several futile attempts to land Nick Van Exel in a trade. Now they have scoring at four positions and I think they can make a run at the playoffs.

The Dub
01-07-2004, 01:33 PM
A year or two? The Suns had an Atlanta Brave-like record before the year before last, getting into the playoffs ELEVEN straight years, getting to the Finals once..and even that came down to Game 7.

And the, uh, T'Wolves have done what exactly?

Actually, the Finals series between Phoenix and Chicago went six games and yes, what have the T'Wolves done? I don't want to hear anything from anyone about Minnesota until I see them playing in May.

The Dub
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM

There is only one ball.

The Outlaw
01-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Er...the Wolves kicked 15 types of shit out of the Lakers today (albeit w/out Shaq and Malone), and they still have Olowokandi, Wally Scz... and Troy Hudson to return.

Shaq and Malone out = 1000 times worse than Olowokandi, Wally, and Hudson out. :rant: :p

BCWWF
01-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah, last nights game didn't really mean anything because Shaq and Malone are too damn good. There was just no answer at all for Garnett without a great forward in.

On paper the Knicks look pretty solid right now, no huge hole down through the sixth man. If Van Horn steps out and Thomas etc play good they could be a darn good team. Then again Marbury could become selfish and start shooting his ass away, and they could still suck. But when you look at things, all they really have to do is get their record to .400% to make the playoffs.