PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it is just me, but finishers are getting sloppy.

BigDaddyCool
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
It seems like the vast majority of WWE finishers are sloppy and weak looking now. For example:

John Cena's FU - it used to be a nice, crisp DVD, now it is just a fireman's carry into a slam or something.

Brock Lesnar's F5 (I know he hasn't wrestler for ever, but still)- it used to be a fireman's carry to a DDT, but after a bit, it turned into a fireman's carry to a sloopy sideslam.

Kurt Angle's Angle Slam (Olympic Slam) - used to be this sweet ass, crisp fireman's carry suplexs, now it seems just like a fareman's carry slam or toss, depending on how good he feels that night.

Randy Orton's RKO - it was never good, and just a very crap Diamond Cutter.

Also, now everyone does a Spear, Rhyno (who has a sweet one), Edge, Bubba Ray, HHH does one occasionally.

I don't know, but finishers seem to be getting sloppier and sloppier lately.

Innovator
12-01-2004, 06:10 PM
even the crossface is looking weak, but thats how the person receiving it positions themselves

Shaggy
12-01-2004, 08:16 PM
yea I must admitt that the FU does look kind of Sloppy.

I think there should be a rule or something that all finishers should at least look like they hurt. That was the people who arent smart think that the match could actually win that way.

MVP
12-01-2004, 08:57 PM
even the crossface is looking weak, but thats how the person receiving it positions themselves
I know what you mean. The Crossface used to be one of the sickest looking submission holds when Benoit would actually cross him arms and pull your head back, but lately he does it with one arm like a sleeper hold, and it looks pretty sloppy.

Shadow
12-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Wait...one arm like a sleeper hold?

HOLY SHIT! BENOIT STOLE MY MOVE!

The One
12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
I will never forgive WWE for taking the Liontaimer, you know when he had his knee against their back, and then making Jericho change it to just a double leg boston crab....ok I know it hurt the wrestlers taking the move...but dammit all it looked great.

Triple H fucks up the Pedigree every other time it seems...

HBK's Superkick looks like he is just throwing his leg up there with no thought as to were it is going.

All the submission finishers have been toned down BIG time...

The only person who gives a good clean finisher now a days is...well...Rob Van Dam.

Yashamaga
12-01-2004, 09:37 PM
The WCW Liontamer is probably my favorite submission ever. Good stuff.

Champion of Europa
12-01-2004, 10:29 PM
HBK's Superkick looks like he is just throwing his leg up there with no thought as to were it is going.

The ones he hits without buildup always look sick.

Fox
12-01-2004, 10:38 PM

The key to any split-second finishing move: unpredictability.

But yeah, most of today's finishers are pretty weak. It all has to do with McMahon toning down the product as a whole, and going back to a more old-school style. It started with the banning of the piledriver and brainbuster, then telling wrestlers to slow things down in the ring.

The best looking finisher in the WWE today is, in my opinion, La Resistance's "roll the dice" combo move.

Or Batista's spinebuster.

McLegend
12-01-2004, 10:43 PM
It started with the banning of the piledriver and brainbuster, then telling wrestlers to slow things down in the ring.
When were these moves banned?

A finisher that got weak over time the Walls of Jericho. He used to go down on one kneel and it looked so cool. It was an original verison of the Boston Crab. Now though it looks just like the Boston Crab. :nono:

Sting Fan
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM
I think with Benoit it is a matter of how it is set up as well. You will notice if he has time and sets it right it still looks pretty damn painful, it is just when he seems to pull it out of nowhere it becomes sloppy. But that is the price you pay for a move like that coming from nowhere.

Gouda
12-01-2004, 11:25 PM
The Worm has been toned down alot.

Funky Fly
12-01-2004, 11:28 PM
There are some sick finishers out there, but the WWE will never use them.

Stuff like the Vertebreaker, the Canadian Destroyer and The Spanish Fly are understandable due to the major risk factor, but what about relatively safe (yet still impressive) moves like the Styles Clash, the Cradle Shock and that move Alex Shelley does?

Innovator
12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
I don't think they can tone down the Styles Clash

BigDaddyCool
12-02-2004, 12:36 AM
The Styles Clash sucks, A.J. Styles sucks. Anything he does, sucks. Fucking go to hell A.J. Faggot styles!!!!

Gerard
12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Angle slam and fu to me have always looked very weak and lacked credability as "finishers". Fu may as well be a bodyslam from a different setup position.

Gouda
12-02-2004, 01:52 AM
The FU looked great back when it was an actual Death Valley Driver. The DVD has always been a favourite of mine. Now, I agree with you completely.

As for the Styles Clash... I always thought it took a bit long to set up and looked a bit awkward.

Corkscrewed
12-02-2004, 03:53 AM
When were these moves banned?

Judgement Day 2000, I think, when Taker came back at the end of Rock and HHH's Ironman Match, he gave HHH a tombstone that shook Hunter up a bit
(stinger). Shortly afterwards, the piledriver was banned, tho they've loosened that over time. But it's still not commonly used.

Londoner
12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
i really do find it funny how they can call themselves a wrestling show, then they try and take away practically every wrestling move in the fucking book.

SuperSlim
12-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Crossface used to be my all-time fav. submission. Sometimes it's hooked in correctly, mostly it's locked in as a choke hold.

Liontamer, like many have said, was tamed into a boston crab. And not a very good one at that.

the FU was a move that I couldn't really consider a finisher. But now I really hate seein anybody get pinned because of that move cause IMO it's the weakest looking finisher in the WWE.

Olympic Slam used to be something. Angle Slam was a tad toned but still held on to the nice impact. Then over time it became sloppily done.

Pedigree. Where to go with that. Basically overtime it has become nothing.

Sweet Chin Music. Before it looked good. Even when he was "tonin up the band." Cause at least back then it looked like he actually nailed the guy in the chin "Sweet chin music" But now he's lucky to even nail them in the face.

Edge's spear. Never liked it. I mean when you have Rhyno gorin the mes out of people to finish them off then there is no reason to have another guy use a spear as a finisher, especially one that looks weaker. I mean I'm sure that not even Rock can oversell Edge's spear. And if he can't do it then you got a bad finisher.

BigDaddyCool
12-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Edge's spear. Never liked it. I mean when you have Rhyno gorin the mes out of people to finish them off then there is no reason to have another guy use a spear as a finisher, especially one that looks weaker. I mean I'm sure that not even Rock can oversell Edge's spear. And if he can't do it then you got a bad finisher.

Edge doesn't use it as a finisher, he uses a DDT for a finisher, I believe.

Loose Cannon
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Styles Clash owns. Especially when AJ does it off the top or catches you in it.

loopydate
12-02-2004, 01:21 PM
(...) what about relatively safe (yet still impressive) moves like the Styles Clash (...)?
Billy Gunn and Crash Holly both used the Styles Clash as a finisher for a time.

Innovator
12-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Styles Clash owns. Especially when AJ does it off the top or catches you in it.
Hey I'm gonna hurricanrana you

SIKE STYLES CLASH

Here comes a sunset flip

roll through, STYLES CLASH

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
12-02-2004, 08:25 PM
When was the F-U ever a crisp DVD? It was always garbage, though I will admit that it's gotten even worse over time, and I agree that it's the worst finisher in WWE. I definitely agree about the F-5 too - after the first one on Big Show, Brock just stopped making them go face first, they always fell on their back or side, and it looked awful.

But what they did to the Liontamer was just the worst.

Gouda
12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
When was the F-U ever a crisp DVD?

I dunno. Maybe it's just my bad memory acting up. I do remember it being better then the garbage it is now.

The One
12-02-2004, 11:28 PM
That is one thing WCW almost always had over WWF...better finishers. It was because WCW kept taking up all the guys from Mexico and Japan and they had some great ideas...

Now I look to TNA for kick ass finishers...oddly enough it seems the higher up the card you are on that show, the worse your finisher is...oh well...the first 3 matches always have GREAT finishers. :)

targo_the_sho_stopa
12-03-2004, 06:56 AM
Best sorta DVD/Fireman's carry move was probably the Widow Maker.
The crossface has definitely gone down hill as has the Walls, and I dunno if it was just me but before he left, Austin's stunner was lookin sloppier and sloppier every week, but I still think it was one of the best snap moves, so was the Rock Bottom for a while, RKO was but now he's just telegraphing it.

SuperSlim
12-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Edge doesn't use it as a finisher, he uses a DDT for a finisher, I believe.

well now he has a choice. Sometimes he'll use the spear as a finisher, and othertimes if he can he'll use the "Education" or "Educutioner" One of those is the name of the DDT. The DDT used to be Gangrel's impaler DDT but of course it was changed and made to look weaker than it used to be.

So yeah he doesn't use the spear as a finisher all the time but when he does it sucks.

Fignuts
12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
The reason Japanese finishers look better, is because most of the time they just drop the guy on his head with no regard to safety. Then again Japanese people seem to be missing spinal cords, because they get up right afterwards. Styles Clash is pretty stupid in my opinion, considering how long it takes to setup. Same thing with any pumphandle finisher. The SC of the second rope was cool the first time though, before he strted doing it all the time. F-U=elevated fireman's carry. Useful as a screen door on a submarine. RKO looks great when it's done clean. He gets so much height that it looks like it's very high impact. On the other hand, because of the height, if he doesn't catch it perfectly, it looks completly horrible. Call me crazy, but Kenzo's STO is one of the best finisher's in WWE right now. He just drives the guy down with such force that it genuinly looks painful.(and probably is.)

Johnny Vegas
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Randy Orton's RKO - it was never good, and just a very crap Diamond Cutter.

Also, now everyone does a Spear, Rhyno (who has a sweet one), Edge, Bubba Ray, HHH does one occasionally.

Tha rKo=ownz :rant:

BigDaddyCool
12-03-2004, 11:15 AM
Tha rKo=ownz :rant:

you are retard.

Fignuts
12-03-2004, 02:10 PM
If you want to see some really crazy moves, check out www.yucube.com
The moves are in the media section.