PDA

View Full Version : Yearly compilation DVDs?

Gouda
12-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah... I've been thinking abou this idea....

Wouldn't it be cool if the WWE released yearly compilations of wrestling? And not just from only for the WWE.

For example:

You'd buy "WCW: 1996" and get all the Nitros, Secondary Shows, and PPVs from that year.

Like how TV shows now come out with their seasons.

Now I'm not sure.... but that could end up being a whole lot of DVDs. So maybe they can split the year into two parts or something.

Then of course you'd get yearly compilations of ECW, and WWF/E (Of course with the post brand split years they'd sell "Smackdown 2003" and "Raw 2003" to make more money).

I think it would make a lot of money. From those who wish to get the whole experience which fans would have got back then, not just random segments, matches, and interviews stuck on random DVDs.

Of course then you have years where the business was not as good, so they could be taking a risk with those ones. For example, I don't know if many would pay a lot of money to see WCW in its last years with Scott Steiner tearing up the main event picture.

What do you think?

DaveWadding
12-04-2004, 07:04 PM
you do realize that the WWE runs A LOT more episodes than a normal show does, yes?

DaveWadding
12-04-2004, 07:05 PM
The one thing I wouldn't mind is at the end of every year, WWE release all the Match of the Year candidates onto a 2 disc set.

Blue Demon
12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
only selective years

crash99
12-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I think its a very cool idea. I wouldnt buy every year, but Im sure there would be a few years that I would love to have on DVD.

Gouda
12-04-2004, 07:09 PM
you do realize that the WWE runs A LOT more episodes than a normal show does, yes?

Yes... hence the possibilty of it being a WHOLE lot of DVDs as well as really expensive.

Mike the Metal Ed
12-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Each year would have between 57 (1 TV a week, 5 PPVs a year) and 118 (2 TV a week, 14 PPVs a year) shows on it, if the average season of 22 minute episodes takes up 3-4 discs, how much would that take up?

Xero
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Each year would have between 57 (1 TV a week, 5 PPVs a year) and 118 (2 TV a week, 14 PPVs a year) shows on it, if the average season of 22 minute episodes takes up 3-4 discs, how much would that take up?
Not factoring in commercials, over runs, or PPVs, for both RAW and SmackDown!, it would be 42 DVDs.

To keep it a bit more realistic, what they can do is do a compilation of the top 5 or 10 shows of that year. So say you would have 10 SmackDown!'s in one set, 10 RAW's in another, and all the PPVs in another, then yeah, it could work. Each set would be about 5 DVDs for the shows with a disc or two of extras. And PPVs would be 12+ DVDs. But some people buy all of them anyway.

But not entire years. That would be ridiculous.

Mr. Nerfect
12-04-2004, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't mind having a DVD (maybe three or four discs) that recaps a large portion of the year. WrestleMania main event, hightlights of exclusive PPV main events, Royal Rumbles, Battle Royals and key moments/matches in feuds.

Gouda
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Meh, you're right. I don't know much about DVDs and what can fit on them.

But.... I thought of an even BETTER idea! The Goldberg Streak! 100 squash matches! :shifty:

Seriously... maybe just a year in review DVD. With some of the best stuff from that year.

Volchok
12-04-2004, 07:26 PM
i would love to have all of 99' on DVD that was my favorite year in wrestling....

KingofOldSchool
12-04-2004, 07:29 PM
I think they should re-release every single PPV in their video archives in its entiretiy. Then release various ECW shows (ie: the November to Remember's BEFORE the PPV ones). And then release every single Clash of the Champions and Saturday Night's Main Event. Then release a yearly "Best of Nitro" and "Best of Raw" DVD where they show memorable matches, angles, and promos from that year in each of the Big 3.

SuperSlim
12-04-2004, 07:30 PM
I would want like a lot of '98 and '99

but really top ten matche of the year and the events that led up to the matches on DVD with some commentary would be nice enough

tucsonspeed6
12-06-2004, 01:05 PM
You could just have a synopsis of the storyline (probably like the vignette they show right before a PPV match, and a quick overview of the PPV match. It wouldn't be the greatest thing in the world, but for reference purposes, I think it could work. It'd be like a wrestling encyclopedia.

And if I got this year's edition, I'd probably only watch the first half...

The CyNick
12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Its not practical.

Most DVD's hold about 3 hours, a Nitro, back in the day was 3 hours. That means you'd need 52 DVD's just for Nitro, nevermind Thunder and the PPVs. The cost would be astronomical, and the number of people who would buy would be so small it wouldn't be worth the effort.

This type of idea is what WWE 24/7 is for. On there you'll see full Nitro and Thunders (or at least almost full) because they have so much time to fill. But on DVD? Wont happen.

Gouda
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
DVD's can fit more than 3 hours, can't they? I mean I've gotten like 2.5 hours on a CD and I remember everybody going on about how DVD's can hold so much more than a CD.

And yeah, I realize, now that I think about it it is impractical. You see I have been suffering from a major lack of sleep lately....

Maybe when the next big breakthrough technology comes and it can hold like a bajilion hours of video on one disk it will happen. :shifty:

The CyNick
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I think its possibel to fit more than 3 hours on a DVD, but in order to maintain the high quality you come to expect from professional DVDs, its under 3.

Look at Mania, thats always 2 DVDs at a minimum, and last year's show was 3. Movies are the same thing, geenrally a movie that goes beyond the 2.5 to 3 hour mark will be on multiple discs.

FakeLaser
12-06-2004, 08:48 PM
WWF 1992, 1994 and 1997 would be great DVDs.