PDA

View Full Version : What happened to TLC matches?

GODSON
12-11-2004, 11:13 AM
It seems like WWE has ignored this gimmick match completely. We seen IronMan,HIAC,LADDERS,and all type of matches in the last two years but a TLC match.

I think with Rey and RVD as champs, they can do another TLC match for No Way Out or Mania. Rey/RVD vs.Dudleyz vs.Bashams. If WWE really want to make the Bashams look legit, they can use the TLC match to put them over.

123 kid
12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah I like the idea of the RVD/Rey V Dudleyz V Bashams. If London and Kidman were still together they would be perfect in that kind of match as well though :o. I really miss the TLC matches, and think it's time to have another TLC match, yeah putting the Basham's over would be an excellent move IMO. The WWE needs more 'real' tag teams, and at the moment, on Smackdown! there are only 2 'real' tag teams; Dudleyz and Bashams. Dudleys haven't been seen in months, and Bashams still appear as jobbers.

When I say 'real' tag teams, I mean tag teams that have a name, have roughly the same attire, have their own entrance music, have some double-team moves, and stay together for at least a year.

Anyway, the RVD/Rey V Bashams V Dudleyz would work out well, Dudleyz can sell well, as seen in the previous TLC matches, RVD and Rey can pull off the high-flying stuff, and the Bashams can do a mix, I think they can high-fly a little, and can sell well. If the Bashams were to pick up the victory and win the tag titles, they'd automatically be seen as a force to be reckoned with, and the Basham's have the potential to become the next 'great' tag team, and be compared to the likes of Dudleyz, New Age Outlaws, Legion of Doom, Edge and Christian etc...

Head
12-11-2004, 12:01 PM
They're very risky, and take a huge toll on the body, so they're used very sparingly.

ColdwaVer
12-11-2004, 12:15 PM
There's just no call for them anymore, since there's no tag team competition. TLC matches were born out of the intense feuding between E&C, the Hardys and the Dudleys. There would be no interest in such a high-profile match between a bunch of guys who haven't built up a decent rivalry.

Stickman
12-11-2004, 12:23 PM
You dont' want to over-do a gimmack match especially if there's nobody credible to compete in it.

Joe Kerr
12-11-2004, 01:00 PM
TLC matches like The elimination chamber match are For Special occasions. If you look at the tag division, your lacking Highflying risk takers that could put on a decent TLC match..Look at RAW tag champs are William Regal and Eugene..they could never put on a good TLC match..Hurricane and Rosey..I beleive the Hurricane has what it takes to do a spectacular TLC but not Rosey. On Smackdown RVD and Rey Mysterio. could probably do one of the best TLC matches ever if only there was a team to compete with them. Dudlys wernt bad in the tlc matches but remember they are not high flyers and dont do the crazy flips and stunts like the Hardys. Kenzo and dupree in a tlc as well would not work...there just isn't enough teams good enough for a TLC.

Also keep in mind a TLC match was made for the Hardys vs. E&C vs. Dudlys based on there gimmicks. noone has these gimmicks anymore...even the Dudlys dont whip out a table in every match.

BigDaddyCool
12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
WWE has toned it down, there is no longer a need to kill it wrestlers in a match to get the causal fans to watch WWE instead of WCW.

John la Rock
12-11-2004, 03:45 PM
TLC matches are amazing but I fully understand why they rarely ever do them. It's way too hard on the body.

Going to watch E & C vs Hardyz vs Dudleyz from Wrestlemania X-Seven :cool:

Kane Knight
12-11-2004, 03:49 PM
You know, if you do something often, it loses its specialty value.

Innovator
12-11-2004, 03:50 PM
mmmmm London Calling from the ladder through a table :drool:

Funky Fly
12-11-2004, 05:27 PM
mmmmm London Calling from the ladder through a table :drool:
I don't think it's possible to safely execute a Shooting Star Press from a ladder. Stuff like the Swanton can be done because you are revolving forward when it's happening

Imagi-Nation
12-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Q: What happened to TLC matches?

A: Jeff Hardy is no longer in the WWE, therefore no Hardy Boyz.
E&C are singles stars now, hence no E&C tag team.
Dudley Boyz are still there, but they suck and have always sucked and had the
other 2 teams carrying them through the matches.

I miss Jeff. He is doing wonders in TNA though.

The CyNick
12-11-2004, 11:03 PM
As has been mentioned, TLC's are very dangerous, especially with the past TLCs to live up to. Plus, its just not in the WWE's gameplan anymore to have these types of matches.

But even if they were willing to do them, they should only be used for programs with a lot of heat. The great thing about the original TLCs was that they had guys who were willing to do crazy stuff, but more importantly all the teams had long standing fueds, that culminated with the TLC matches. The tag division is in shambles right now, and I just dont feel the same intensity for the big Kenzo/Dupree vs Rey/RVD program that I did for E+C/Duds and Hardys program.

Kane Knight
12-12-2004, 01:48 AM
I don't think it's possible to safely execute a Shooting Star Press from a ladder. Stuff like the Swanton can be done because you are revolving forward when it's happening
And there are better ways to commit suicide.

Like sticking your nuts into a chipper shredder.

It'd be a sweet move if it could be done, but I'd rather not see wrestlers die for my amusement. Near fatal maimings, maybe.

Kane Knight
12-12-2004, 01:51 AM
and I just dont feel the same intensity for the big Kenzo/Dupree vs Rey/RVD program that I did for E+C/Duds and Hardys program.
I think I'd feel more intensity for a Steven Richards vs Josh Mathews in an Iron Man Match that headlined WM XXI

Nowhere Man
12-12-2004, 02:50 AM
I think I'd feel more intensity for a Steven Richards vs Josh Mathews in an Iron Man Match that headlined WM XXI

I would mark out like a schoolgirl just to have Steven Richards at Wrestlemania, period.

Anyways, yeah, there's no need for a TLC match these days. The tag team scene has completely fallen by the wayside (how did we go from those incredible 'Smackdown Six' matches to Kenzo Suzuki and Renee Dupree?!) and something like TLC is just begging for a severe injury. And remember how WWE ran Hell in a Cell into the ground? I'd rather not see another one of those matches unless we get an absolute to-the-death blood feud going on.

No TLC for me until the tag team scene is totally revitalized, thank you very much.

StrongMad
12-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Speakin of that stuff, I really miss the hardcore championship. I miss good hardcore matches in general.

Mr. Nerfect
12-12-2004, 05:13 AM
I really think the WWE should create a new match based around the current tag scene. No I don't mean a Table Match, I mean......well I dunno, but these guys need some kind of recognisable traits.

Have Rene Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki do something sinister with wine. Or maybe have them insult their opponents by letting Fifi do a shit on them? I'm not sure how they'd time that, or if it's even possible. Maybe just have Rene put Fifi on top and have Suzuki force the referee to count the three? I suppose Rene Dupree could have Fifi's crap in a doggy bag to empty on his opponent.

Maybe Shannon Moore & Scotty 2 Hotty or the Basham Brothers can used "spiked" brass knuckles.

Let The Bashams wear balaclavas to allow them the switcheroo. Not to win matches, but just as a strategy, so when one is in trouble, the other just comes in, and the other knows to back out. Let them use aliases like the Phenom & the Machine. Maybe have Doug Basham have a weird thing going, like everytime we see him he's eating toast or a plum or something. Just something to make us go "What the f***?". Let Danny be a hyenna that will run into the ring agaisnt The Undertaker, Kane & The Big Show to save Doug, but have Doug the smart one that can refrain and has more of a reserved presence to him. Have The Bashams keep that little animal thing to them, but have them develope more defining characteristics. Give them a special entrance. Maybe have the ring shake or something?

Actually, why not have the Bashams use whips and chains. I can see them using handcuffs a lot. Maybe a ladder match with whips involved where you're handcuffed to your partner?

Let Kidman & London reunite as a Shooting Star Press based team. Give them a heel Torrie as a valet.

If Eddie's not doing anything, they may as well have him join up with Chavo again. Los Guerreros will draw some attention, and they don't have to lose singles credibility.

I think RVD and Rey Mysterio wearing attire with marijuana on them, etc. could really get them over more as stoners that wrestle. You can even have them stripped of the titles, or kept from winning them because they fail a drug test.

How's this for a tag team gimmick match: Los Guerreros vs. The Bashams vs. The Dudleys vs. The Shooting Stars. Torrie is in a kinky harness and tied to a pole, ringside is completely a light wood sheeting (apron-barricade level, which allows for some nasty wood bumps. The winning team is the one to un-tie Torrie, then handcuff her to their corner. :shifty:

I dunno, maybe have some kind of cage-like platform at turnbuckle height with poles that go up, so you can have some nice innovative moves up there. Maybe have a whip and one pair of handcuffs in each corner (maybe have eahc team cuffed together right from the start), then have the wood sheeting around the outside, almost like a giant table (if not have lots of tables making a spaceless tabe zone). The have the winning team be the ones who get across the wiring to the tag titles. You could have a rule that if three or four people (from different teams) are on the platform then the titles are raised or something.

I miss the old TLCs, but unless they resign Jeff Hardy, I think the matches should be retired as legend.