PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tice - the NFLs worst coach?

Moonax
12-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Seriously the guy has no fucking idea. How the hell can he not win with the talent he has.

I don't blame the players because it is his stupid coaching (or lack there of) that has cost the Vikings for the last 3 seasons.

I could handle losing games by a close margin 3 years ago because he was a new coach and they were a team developing. You expect that the coach should make adjustments and get his team properly prepared so that you turn the 1 point losses into 1 point wins.

I was annoyed by the collapse last season and by losing to the Cards. But I thought that Tice would learn and coach the team better.

I was wrong. They guy is totally incompetent. It is basics and the basics are what have let the Vikings down.

I know that Red McCombs is a cheap-ass and hired Tice because he was cheap but the Vikings need to hire a proper coach who prepares his teams.

Is he the worst or is there someone who has less idea who has a job in the league?

The only thing I am glad about is that Carrie isn't around. Fucking Packers.

Triple A
12-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Perhaps the Vikings defense is just terrible.

Their offense, where most of their talent is, has been doing fine.

The Icon of Elisim
12-24-2004, 08:26 PM
I said no just because Mike Martz sucks more

The Miz
12-24-2004, 08:30 PM

The Miz
12-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Any Mike sucks basically I.E. HOLMGREN

The Icon of Elisim
12-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Oh yeah, Holmgren is for sure worse than Tice.

If you are complaining about Tice not doing anything in 3 years, how about Holmgren not doing anything in 6 years.

You also have to give Tice some credit for the maturity of Moss and Culpepper

Moonax
12-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Nah. My issue is that the team is making the same mistakes that they were making 3 years ago. They are also mistakes that well coached teams don't make.

Losing games the same way for 3 years shows that he has not been able to coach the team properly.

Moss and Culpepper are great but they could be better if they had a decent coach.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-24-2004, 10:38 PM

The Outlaw
12-24-2004, 11:01 PM
HOW BOUT THE PACK

VonErich Lives
12-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Any Mike sucks basically I.E. HOLMGREN

Holmgren is a good coach, bad GM.

Put him back in a situation where all he has to do is coach (see: GB) he'll be fine.

He bit off too much (like a lot of coaches) in Seattle.

BabyHugger
12-25-2004, 12:16 AM

BCWWF
12-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Tice seems good at motivating the players but not at making good in game decisions

road doggy dogg
12-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Agreed on Martz. Doesn't mean Tice isn't pretty bad himself though :p

Nervous Ferret
12-25-2004, 12:58 AM

Y2Ant
12-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Mike Tice does look like a bit of an oaf really.

Rain Man
12-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Ever since I heard the story about a pencil getting stuck up his ass I haven't been to fond of the guy.. But Mike Martz is pretty bad

VonErich Lives
12-25-2004, 02:38 PM
I think Martz is a better coach than Tice.

Martz can run a good offense, his problem is his Ego tends to cloud his judgement a little. ie: I know this play works, they stopped it 3 times this game, but if we run it again it has to work this time".

Tice just doesn't seem to have it going on either side of the ball.

Now, Martz hanging players out, I don't get and the Vikes players do seem to like Tice a lot, but that doesn't make him a good coach.

What was Tice before HC? was he an OC/DC or just a position coach? I thought he was just a position coach, which could mean he just wasn't ready and his over his head. Hopefully, he steps down at years end, and gets a job somewhere as an OC so he can better his trade and get another shot sometime. I wouldn't write him off yet, but he could be another one-shot coach (cunningham, rust are the first two that come to mind).

BCWWF
12-25-2004, 03:46 PM
He was the O-Line coach, which could explain something about the defense. Personally I might put more blame on some of the assistants, obviously the Vikings defense has a lot of talent but they are still so bad.

Martz is just on the wrong end of an aging team. Marc Bulger has never been good, I don't care what you say. They are based around an old RB and two aging WR's with no defense. IMO the Rams are doing better than they should given their personnel.

VonErich Lives
12-25-2004, 03:54 PM
He was the O-Line coach, which could explain something about the defense. Personally I might put more blame on some of the assistants, obviously the Vikings defense has a lot of talent but they are still so bad.

Martz is just on the wrong end of an aging team. Marc Bulger has never been good, I don't care what you say. They are based around an old RB and two aging WR's with no defense. IMO the Rams are doing better than they should given their personnel.

I wouldn't go that far, they still have talent and yeah, Bulger is an average QB, has shown flashes but hasn't stepped it up.

That being said, you should make your system fit your talent or your competition, Martz doesn't seem to do that, Martz sticks w/ his system, that's what kills them.

O-line coach to head coach is a big jump, especially if you don't have solid OC/DC around you.

BCWWF
12-25-2004, 03:58 PM
I think the Vikings just lost good OC and DC's, one was George O'Leary who was going to be ND's head coach and is now head coach at Central Florida, and the defensive guy I forget his name and where he went.

Moonax
12-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Ted Cotrell (sic) is not a bad coach.

My problem is that Tice is clearly not doing a good job of preparing the team.

Look at the Pats. The Pats have achieved far more with far less natural talent than many teams but they are well coached and they are well prepared which is why they win. Everyone knows what they have to do. Tice doesn't prepare the team properly which is why they always go on these slides.

I see McCombs has given Tice an extension. bastard. :(

VonErich Lives
12-28-2004, 05:08 PM
ok, I'm changing my vote. Martz is an idiot.

There are few new reasons.

1) He called Turley into his office, told him he's steeling money by being on the IR all-season and they got into and argument and after Martz called league security and said Turley threatend his life (ok, Turley has always had a screw lose so maybe...)

2) He blamed Chris Mortenson for creating bad team morale for his reports on ESPN and his opinions about the team.

3) He had the team owner or president put notes in everyones locker reminding the players that Martz is the coach and has the ownerships full confidence.

this guys a nuts job.

Triple A
12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah just heard that on NFL Live. Pretty ridiculous.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-28-2004, 05:26 PM
1) He called Turley into his office, told him he's steeling money by being on the IR all-season
What does he want Turley to do, magically fix himself?

DaveWadding
12-28-2004, 05:27 PM
They are based around an old RB and two aging WR's with no defense.
Look, I'll give you Marshall and Isaac, but yuo do realize that Torry's rookie year was 1999, right? He's not old at all.

DaveWadding
12-28-2004, 05:27 PM

VonErich Lives
12-28-2004, 05:49 PM
What does he want Turley to do, magically fix himself?

yeah, the more I read he might have a point, but didn't go about it the right way.

From what I read, Turley had a surgery option, but it would have been his second so he said no, he wanted to go on IR and spend the year rehabing to play next year.

Apperently he does his rehab in LA where he also does TV work, and rarely does anything in STL which from what I read he really isn't required to.

There was also an issue brought up about him not cheering on his team and Martz not knowing where Turley has been all year.

Turley says he's check in w/ the team pres, and he was never asked to be there on game day and doesn't stand on the sideliness because standing around on turf for a few hours bothers his back that he's trying to rehab.

It actually sounds like Martz may have had a point, but went about it totally wrong and made a bigger ass out of himself.

BCWWF
12-28-2004, 06:18 PM
I didn't realize that Torry Holt was under thirty. Was he not around during the Warner Brothers thing? I thought that was 1998 with Warner-Holt-Bruce? What am I missing.

VonErich Lives
12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
I didn't realize that Torry Holt was under thirty. Was he not around during the Warner Brothers thing? I thought that was 1998 with Warner-Holt-Bruce? What am I missing.

Close.

it was 1999 that Green went down and Warner went nuts :)

BCWWF
12-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah, what was I thinking it was the Vikings that were unstoppable in 1998

VonErich Lives
12-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah, what was I thinking it was the Vikings that were unstoppable in 1998

Well, except in the NFC Championship game... :p

Wasn't that like McCombs first year and the league got on his case cause he was playing noise of the PA to make the dome even louder...

BCWWF
12-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Lol, it sounds familiar, but can't be positive